Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

Oven's temperature sensor is off???

chueh
9 years ago

My oven and stove-top ranges are all working fine, yet the temperature sensor for the oven is inconsistently off. When it was under the set temperature, I tried setting the temperature higher, to compensate the difference. However, it was not consistently going under; it went too much over than the higher temperature. There is no telling when it's going to be above or below the set temperature. Thinking of replacing the appliance, yet everything else is working fine. How much would it cost to hire an electrician to fix the sensor, including the part? Am I able to change the sensor myself, if I don't hire a tech?

Thanks

Comments (8)

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

Thermostats have a 'differential' - this is the variance from the set point. If the differential is 'wide' then you will have greater temperature swings.

Since you say it's not consistent the thermostat may be erratic.

The thermostat goes from the over control knob in to the oven. If you look closely you may see the capillary tube and sensing bulb in the upper back or sides.

You need to contact an appliance repair person.

• chueh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks

• dadoes
    9 years ago

It may take upwards of 30 minutes for the temperature to stabilize from a cold start, the full mass of the oven cavity and interior air to reach equilibrium with the control differential.

You didn't cite your brand and model. Oven temp sensors can be an electronic component (thermistor) or an electro-mechanical thermostat.

Whether you can DIY a repair depends on your ability and experience, no way for anyone to judge that from afar. Some amount of disassembly is typically required. Don't change a part without confirming the piece of question is bad.

• chueh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

frigidaire es300

• fillmoe
    9 years ago

I looked at the owners' manual for your stove, and it appears to have controls somewhat like my stove. When the heat simply would not start, I called a repair person (around $50 for a service call). He did what he called a "hard reset." He unplugged it for about 10 minutes then plugged it back in. It worked. Since that incident, I've also successfully done this with the refrigerator, washer, and garage door opener. It's free and worth a try.

• dadoes
    9 years ago

frigidaire es300 Try again. That's apparently a marketing label, not a model number. A parts search brings up a printer, chainsaw, and two camcorders ... or a choice of 24+ Frigidaire/Electrolux range models.

• chueh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

no wonder i couldn't find the model online whenever I used es300, which is on the user's manual.

Wow, just unplug and replug..... somehow electric stuff seems to be like to play this game, my internet modem is always like that :-)

nice to know

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I have JA double ovens that started fluctuating about two months ago, then went out altogether. I did the hard reset at the breaker, but still get an error when I try to pre-heat. I just ordered a new temperature sensor and will give that a try.