Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fool1977

A few Points on the Frigidaire All-Refrigerator/All-Freezer

fool1977
13 years ago

We recently purchased and installed the Frigidaire Pro all-freezer/all-refrigerator units with SS trim-kit. So far so awesome. They look amazing, are very quiet, and do what any working freezer and refrigerator do. They freeze things, and chill things.

It is believed by Sears sales people that the Kenmore Elites that look identical to the Frigidaire Pro's, are indeed the same appliance because they're both made by Frigidaire. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. The Kenmore units are not energy star rated. In fact, the Kenmore refrigerator uses 438 kWh/yr whereas the Frigidaire uses only 350.

A lot of anecdotal info points to these units not being the same either. Going online you can find numerous complaints about the Kenmore Elite being really loud, and not cold enough (refrigerator) and our Frigidaire units are quiet, and seems cold enough set on 4 out of 7. I suppose I could make it colder by turning it up.

I'm suspicious that the compressor and insulation is different between the Kenmore and Frigidaire and that explains why the Kenmore's are louder, less energy efficient, and supposedly less cold.

If anyone was having doubts about getting a more affordable all-freezer/all-refrigerator unit, you might want to explore getting the Frigidaire Pro's. They look amazing, and so far they work fine.

The Electrolux Twins are gorgeous as well and have more features, but they're far more expensive.

Comments (46)

• jakkom
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for this report! Not too many have this kind of config in their kitchens and it's my dream to do this in our next kitchen. I think you're right that the units may be similar but not identical to the Kenmores; Sears specifies exactly what they want in an appliance and the mfgs build them to that specification. Sometimes it's better, but not always, as we've personally found.

• fool1977
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jkom51,

After a few more weeks I'll write a follow-up report to update you and others on their performance. There can be no doubt they look stunning and I'll post some pics as well soon.

• lfielder54
    13 years ago

fool977, I had ruled out this pair, based on reviews, but there really is no other choice in that price range. I'd love to hear more about your experiences and pics would be great! Maybe I'll reconsider...

• stannley
    13 years ago

I had been considering Electrolux ICON, and then found the cheaper alternative Electrolux EI32AR65JS(about $300). I'm intrigued by the Frigidaire's cost and would like to know more about performance from jkom51 and fool 1977 before we make a commitment. Thanks!

• attofarad
    13 years ago

Hey fool1977, I don't see a Frigidaire model that uses 350kwhr per year. Both of the same-sized Kenmore and Frigidaire units (per Sears website) have the same 438kwhr consumption, the the slightly larger Electrolux units are 365kwhr.

• antss
    13 years ago

fool - your logic just doesn't track.

Basing a statement like: "THEY ARE NOT THE SAME" based solely on an energy star tag is, well, foolish. While technically you are correct - they do have different suits of clothes and lighting ect, but I believe the heart and lungs are the same. Seems like you could also be mistaken re: what you are comparing.

Basing it on reviews that Sears customers blog about is also not real smart either. There are plenty of unhappy Frigidaire owners with that model and a few Electrolux ones also.

Be sure to come back in a year and two to report about your longer term experiences, this will be a huge barometer of your/those units.

• fool1977
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Greetings. While it has not yet been a year I'll take a few minutes to report on my experience with the Frigidaire all-freezer/all refrigerator units we have had for the last four months or so.

So far we have continued to be very happy with the units performance. The refrigerator does not disappoint. It continues to have no issues with either sound, or chilling ability. Food has been kept fresh, etc... Still looks great of course.

The freezer freezes. I don't know what else to say really.

I didn't use retail store figures for Energy Star compliance but rather the manufacturers info cross referenced with EnergyStar.gov. The model I have is energy star rated according to Frigidaire and I looked up the model number (FPRH17D7K) with Energy star that reports they are 350kWh/yr.

I have not actually found a lot of negative reviews for my FPRH17D7K unit. Indeed many I have found are positive and lack the complains of the folks who have purchased the Kenmore elites. There was a set of Frigidaire units that bore the prefix PLU rather than FPR and perhaps that is where some confusion lies. Those units were not energy star compliant.

In another few months I'll report again my experience with my freezer/frig units.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    13 years ago

I appreciate your report, as I am considering the Frigidaire. Thanks!

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

Thanks! We were just looking at the Frigidaire all-freezer and thinking of putting it in as our basement freezer. Glad to hear this report!

• bigdoglover
    13 years ago

Thank you for this info, fool 1977. We are about to get an all freezer. DH did some research and says that Frigidaire freezers are made in the USA, which to us is a huge plus. So I'm glad to hear that it is working well for you.

About the Energy star rating, though, I don't put much stock in that since reading that it's pretty much a crock (political) and no guarantee that anything is more efficient.

• bigdoglover
    13 years ago

Fool1977, Can you give me the model number of the all-freezer please? I just went to look for it under FPRH17D7K and apparently that's the all fridge.

Did you buy it at Sears? They don't have any all freezer sounding remotely like that model number.

I'm not going to buy SS because it's going in the laundry room, so all white will do.

Thanks.

• montel (CA US 10b/Sunset 16)
    12 years ago

We are pretty sold on the Frigidaire Pro all-refrigerator and freezer combo.

We have plenty of room in our new design and don't want in-door water, ice maker etc...

We are looking at the FPUH19D7LF and FPRH19D7LF which are both listed as Energy Star appliances.

I see quite a few differences between these and the Kenmore units - hopefully that is the case when we get them!

• tex5
    12 years ago

Fool1977, it has been a while since you last posted an update about this combo and I'm curious about your experience with them since then. Any feedback would be appreciated, thx

• mpaninop
    11 years ago

I appreciate finding this, as I really am sold on this unit w/trim in the kitchen of the house we are just about to build, but I have seen a few negative reviews on the durability/longevity, esp. of the compressor, which some say cannot be replaced if it goes. I would also love a follow up to know if fool is still satisfied.

• KateMartin
    11 years ago

I have had a completely different experience with this set. I love the way they look, but the fridge is super loud - to the point of driving me crazy. I have taken the panel off the back, vacuumed the coils, releveled it twice and still it is very loud with alot of vibration and a vroom vroom vroom kind of noise that repeats forever. Every once in a while it is silent, but most of the entire night I'm trying to sleep it roars. What on earth could be causing it to do that? (It's about 5 years old). I started noticing the noise a few years ago, but it may have been doing it the whole time. Thanks for any help you can lend.

• drake64
    11 years ago

Hope to hear more updates, I am considering the refrigerator for my remodel. I dont need ice, water and all that junk, just keep it cold.

I am not an appliance pro but they are pretty simple. I suspect a pump or fan. Probably the fan look in the back when it is running and see if something is caught in the fan blades or a bearing going out. Unless you are confident dont take it apart yourself, call a repair man. If it was me I would open the back and locate the sound, I would bet on the fan being unbalanced or the bearing wearing out. If it is still cooling fine its probably the fan.

But dont mess with these things if you are not comfortable around them, I have worked as a technician for more than 10 years so I respect the insides but no longer fear them. (well gas makes me nervous, boom!)

• judgerator
    11 years ago

KateMartin, we had noise problems twice with the refrigerator. Once was a loose screw underneath, which we were able to tighten ourselves, and the other time the fan needed to be replaced. The screw issue started after two years and the fan after four years. Both were underneath, not in the back.
    Overall, very happy with both units: capacity, looks, simple and inexpensive icemaker option.

• Brinie
    11 years ago

HI can anyone tell me if there is a finish difference between the kenmore elite and the frigadaire models? Im interested in the stainless steel only. Does any one have feed back on the electrolux 32" refrigerator?

• KipG1960
    9 years ago

i am lucky and have a 72" opening so I started looking at the built ins. my initial look was at the Frididaire and Kenmore but fell in love with the look of the Electrox Icon Professional. The french door handles was a really nice look. any feed back on these units? they are more expensive and I am trying to justify the cost difference

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

KipG- we are in the same boat. Going with electrolux cooking so we thought the elex columns made sense. However, we just cannot justify the cost difference. Little bells and whistles here and there but even with rebates, I believe the units were $6-800 more than Frigidaire. Plus, the frigidaire take magnets. With two little ones, I love that we can proudly display their work once again!

Our reno begins the first week of Nov so I'll be sure to take pics once the twins are in ;)

• Ken Moore
    9 years ago

To anyone still reading these posts that intended to buy this set - did you? What's your experience been?

• amabyam
    8 years ago

I hope fool1977 or someone else will come back with their reviews. I'm also considering these units. Not sure if the 2015 models are the same, but I'm like everyone else, trying to decide between the all fridge, all freezer of Frigidaire or Electrolux, or even whirlpool sidekick.

• montel (CA US 10b/Sunset 16)
    8 years ago

We are 3 1/2 years into using our Frigidaire units and still love them. They are great in size, use and looks.

The freezer is probably the best of the 2 and is the more quiet unit. The refrigerator is a little noisy as I have mentioned in other threads - but just noticeable, not annoying. We have a Vinotemp wine cooler that is louder!

I don't know if they have changed anything on the units in the 4 years since we researched them, but the units we have we would buy again.

• sarafinadh
    8 years ago

Do you like the interior arrangement? Pluses? Minuses?

• stannley
    8 years ago

We finished our remodel 3 years ago and considered both Frigidaire and Electrolux and went with Electrolux for a number of reasons. More pricey but also more glitzy. Went with more of the features we chose for our kitchen. We've been very happy. The LED lighting, no noise at all, very high end.

• palominonut
    8 years ago

We have had the Frigidaire pair for over 3 years and they are fabulous! Run quiet, work great and look fantastic. We actually seperated the two units and bought the individual trim kits and they look very professional without over powering the design of the kitchen. Highly recommend!!

• Alex Pablate
    7 years ago

Well, no doubt to Frigidaire, it is the top brand worldwide for fridges or refrigerators. You can check this http://fridgesreviews.com/frigidaire-ffss2614qs26-0-cu-ft-stainless-steel-side-by-side-refrigerator-2/ as well.

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

We already ordered the trim kit so we could get the cabinets designed around them.. cannot wait to get the frig/freezer ;) Thanks for the info!

• logical7
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Dear Ken Moore: note that your fridge and freezer are not the Professional series but the Gallery series. Note the differences in the kickplates and the door handles.

• logical7
    6 years ago

Fool1977 and Attofarad. Kindly note that per Frigidaire's website only the Frigidaire Gallery is stated to be 'energy efficient' (although it takes more KwH??) and neither are Energy Star rated. Frigidaire official website differences between the 2 all-freezer units

• Ken Moore
    6 years ago
    "Logical7" - Frigidaire changes the specs on these models every year, to the point that making assumptions about previous models is illogical.

Clearly, my models are the Professional not the Gallery series.

In addition, while this years models may not be Energy Star certified, past year's models have been.
  • Russ Barnard
    6 years ago

Ken, ya beat me to it.. heh.. I agree, the Pro series looks like the old Gallery series.

We just got ours in December of last year.

• maddison36
    6 years ago

Hi there.

Was hoping someone who has installed the Frigidaire professional all fridge and all freezer with trim kit (electrolux/frigidaire) in their kitchen. We will be installing this in our new kitchen renovation.

When I looked at the trim kit bottom in the store (photos attached) there was a huge gap on the bottom that looked horrible. It seems like it should be pushed back but the salesperson said this was how it was supposed to be installed - seems weird!!

Could Anyone who has this combo attach a photo of the bottom of the trim kit installed from the top down to see if there is a gap or if it is flush against the bottom hinge.

Thanks so much. Really appreciate it.

Here are the photos from the store floor and their showroom installation. Does not look "finished" at all.

• _sophiewheeler
    6 years ago

You want a true built in, buy a Sub Zero at 5x the price, minimum. These are faux built ins, and you can't get everything you want at this price.

• Ken Moore
    6 years ago
    These are photos of my installed trim kit. I am still very happy with my purchase and don't think the trim kit looks bad at all.

I looked at a couple of the Sub Zero installs online and do agree they look better, but so does the fit and finish on a Rolls Royce when comparing it to a normal car - you wouldn't see me throwing my money away on that either (unless I had more money than sense!)
  • maddison36
    6 years ago

Ok Sophie! I would if I could afford that!! Haha!

Ken Moore - Thanks so much for the photos! Really appreciate it.

Could you take a photo from the top of the fridge looking down. That would be most helpful! So I could see if there is a large gap (like the one I saw at the store) from the bottom hidge out. I can't really tell from the photos.

Oh and one more question - did you have to make any adjustments to the trim on bottom or you installed it as per instructions? Someone else told me that they had to retrofit it and screw it into sides of fridge.

Thanks again

• Ken Moore
    6 years ago

I didn't have to make any changes when I installed it; everything went according to the instructions. I could see that if the rough opening in the cabinets were not framed correctly one might have to get a bit creative.

In the photos from the showroom you posted, it looks like that bottom trim piece wasn't screwed into the fridge at all. Was it? It doesn't just float or clip on - maybe that's why there was a gap. I don't see any gap like that on mine.

• maddison36
    6 years ago

Seeing your pictures makes me feel better about my purchase! Haha

Thanks again. I knew there was something wrong with the one in the showroom. Just didn't make any sense.

The trim was screwed into the bottom of the fridge. We asked them to unscrew it to see what was underneath.

I'll try to ensure that the cabinets beside the fridge are framed correctly.

Once again, really appreciate you taking the time to write!

• Haley
    5 years ago
    Anyone have any updates on their Frigidaire All Freezer/Refrigerator units? I'm not sure if there is a difference between the Gallery and the Professional because they seem to pretty well look the same?

I see good reviews on them, but many appear to be incentive reviews. Plus, for the price they sound like a better option than a regular refrigerator. Especially if you don't want to buy a deep freezer.
  • Ken Moore
    5 years ago

Just passed 3 years ownership and still completely satisfied. I would definitely buy them again and recommend them without reservation.

About a year ago, one of the units (I think it was the freezer) started making a louder than normal noise when the compressor started up, but it went away right around the time I considered calling someone about it - go figure!

I have not been keeping track of the year to year model evolutions, but just looking at the comparison page on Frigidaire's website, I have no idea why they make two lines - the Professional and the Gallery are virtually identical but for a few tiny details.

BTW, I did not receive any incentives to write this - just a satisfied owner.

• Haley
    5 years ago

@Ken Moore -- That's good! They seem much more "simple" in comparison to some of the others I have been looking at, and I've always heard the more simplistic they are, they less likely they are to cause trouble lol.

• bot494
    5 years ago

I'm considering the Frigidaire all fridge and freezer units, and this thread has been very helpful. But I am confused about the installation - do you need a dedicated cabinet into which the units and the trim kit get installed (that's what the installation instructions show)? Or can you install the units freestanding into place and surround them with finished panels on the sides and wall cabinets above?

• Ken Moore
    5 years ago

it’s definitely not a dedicated cabinet, it’s really just finished panels on the sides and the top. If your ceiling is taller than mine, you could put cabinets above - not sure with louvered trim panel how that would look?

• bot494
    5 years ago

Thanks Ken Moore!

• Trailrunner D
    5 years ago

http://s63.photobucket.com/user/41455/library/Final%20kitchen%20pictures?sort=3&page=1

this is a link to my finished kitchen from 2007. I had the Frigidaire Twins and at that time they were $750 apiece :) They were noisy but in all other respects were perfect. We moved in Nov 2017 and they were still going perfectly. You can scroll down and see a picture of them with cabinets above and a pull out pantry on the left. Hope this helps you bot494