Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sameboat

Can mice LIVE in a stove?

sameboat
16 years ago

I have a flat top GE NEW stove, and have since had a problem with mice. My husband took apart the back and tried to get into the space behind the front panel buttons but could not - there's a panel back there that doesn't allow access.

Is there room in there for a nest? Could they have come to me from the warehouse? There is a little space if I put my fingers up inside from where this little guy is coming/going and there seems to be a small shelf but it doesn't appear to lead anywhere inside the stove.

And I know already not to leave food out - but this was taken just minutes after breakfast this morning.

What should I do?????????

Comments (17)

• pammo
    16 years ago

That is so cute (in someone else's kitchen!)! I think you might need to get a repair guy to help you take it apart and de-mouse it. Alternatively, you could try to get rid of them with a Rat Zapper placed strategically in/near the stove. My mom turned me on to these and I will tell you they really work. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: rat zapper (works on mice too)

• looser
    16 years ago

That is a cute little mouse! I like mice, but of course I wouldn't want them to live in my house either. Maybe you can just get a live mouse trap and release it (or them) in a safe distance away from your house. I don't think they'll come back and trace down your stove...;-)
    It may still be necessary to get any debris that they may have left in your oven. Good luck!

• amrirose
    16 years ago

Did you purposely leave the fork and crumbs to catch that shot?
    How long did you have to wait? Wow....

Uh, I've also heard that if you see one mouse, there's sure to be 6 of his cousins that you don't see nearby.
    I'm jus' sayin'....

• Jean Popowitz
    16 years ago

Not only can they nest in the stove, they use the insulation as nesting material and chew on the wires. I would have a repairman come out immediately and open up the stove to make sure no damage is done. I had a Dacor dual-fuel convection range in storage for a while and the critters did so much damage that the stove had to be thrown out. Every wire was stripped. Be careful.

• kats
    16 years ago

We had a vacation home that we hadn't been to in quite a long time. It was a cold weather area and found a nest had been built in our stoves broiler. The pilot light was the perfect incubator for a host of younglings. The nest was huge! There was no way I would cook in that oven again. We got a new one.

• donnar57
    16 years ago

We have a travel trailer. One time we came back to it in the spring to find that mice had made a big nest in the pans inside the oven. I threw all the pans away (fortunately all aluminum tossers anyway). Yuck. Fortunately they didn't get the stove wires like they did the refrigerator's. We had to replace the fridge in there.

Here's a tip for cabin, vacation home and RV owners: buy BIG boxes of dryer fabric softener sheets (like Bounce, but the store brand works too). Spread the sheets all over your house or RV when you depart it for any length of time (a week is the minimum). The sheets make your rig/cabin smell nice, but also, mice and packrats don't like them either. Since trying this, I haven't had any problems with mice visiting my rig, and we had some cold winters the last 2 years!

DonnaR/CA

• velodoug
    16 years ago

Mice and wires are not a good combination. I had an electrical fire in a motorcycle that I eventually traced to chewed insulation, probably by a mouse. The little calico below includes the bike shed in her rounds and frequently has decapitated mice waiting for me on the porch when I go out for the morning paper. The big guy stays indoors and attacks anything that moves. We haven't seen a rodent in the house in the ten years he's lived here.

I agree that you should check the wiring in the range.

• sameboat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We're setting more (live) traps tonight. I only had to wait about 4 minutes for the mouse to come back out. Each time he came out I got closer and closer. I read that they only see a few inches infront of them and if you're not moving or making noise they will come out. It worked. I didn't purposely leave anything out to get the pic - we had just finished breakfast and my son actually heard him in the kitchen rattling silverware.

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

That is a very cute mouse. Nice and small. I like him.
    If you are going to get a trap get one of those that traps them but doesn't kill them. No sense killing them since they are only doing what they are born to do. That way you can just set it free out of doors.

• Fori
    16 years ago

Awwwww. Cute!

I kept pet rats and mice as a kid--I still have some speaker wires that my rat stripped. I had to rewire several lamps. Mice are a bit slower at getting through wires, but not much.

Then there was the time the family was camping in the Mojave and the car wouldn't start--kangaroo rat nesting on the distributor cap...one night and we were shorted out.

DO DO DO get that thing dismantled and inspected by a pro!!! Any nest needs to be removed, and all wires need to be checked. And if you have a lot of wildlife, follow Breezy's hardware cloth advice.

And go on...adopt a kitty from the animal shelter. There's a reason humans domesticated the cat in the first place!

• User
    16 years ago

I might be tempted to try a couple drops of pepperment oil, or oregano oil, something safe that will discourage the mouse.

• chas045
    16 years ago

Mice also like to hang out in the bottom of your cabinets (below the drawers). They had to get in your house somewhere first. So you should try to spot the hole and plug it up with steel wool or the stuff with the soap already in it. Pipes thru the wall or floor with missing or loose flanges are likely entry points.

• premier
    16 years ago

That is an amazing photo. That would freak me out. Mice do make nests in stoves. Even after you eliminate the mice, you may still have a problem. Mice tend to leave their droppings in the insulation of the stove which is impossible to get out. Once those droppings are warmed up, the smell is unbearable.

• lzydogrnch
    16 years ago

Try to return the stove. If it's new they should do it. Plus they may know that there is a mouse problem at the warehouse. I lived in a rental and found mouse droppings around the stove. When I lifted up the top (around the burners) the whole thing was filled with dog food. All the cubbies in the back were also filled. I put on a respirator to clean the darn thing. Gross!

• wekick
    16 years ago

They can live and DIE in your stove --trust me.

• Kelly Hill
    last year

Hello I am a reanter a d have a mouse problem there are also in my stove nowy stove is act up and the landlord will not remove it so I called Eden and they inspected the unit I now have to move I am not the only one they have stove issues