Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Q. for Fori (and everyone else)

Posted by eleena (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 12 at 11:43

Fori,

I am not sure you'll be reading the older AGA thread again, so I am posting my question separately as it does not have anything to do with AGA anyway.

You said:
"Perhaps you can also increase your effective counterspace by having pullouts surrounding the cooking area--I mean old school breadboards. Sturdy and useful and only in the way when you need them."

Could you elaborate, please?

I have been thinking along those lines for a long time but I don't know how to implement it.

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Q. for Fori (and everyone else)

I think fori means a pull-out similar to mine. There are different ways of constructing these. They slide in and out right under the counter. They can also be placed between drawers. I use mine when I need extra counter space.

Lapboard pull-out
Photobucket

It's over Winnie's house

Photobucket

Here's a thread with some pictures of pull-out boards. I wish I'd put one near my microwave for a landing spot.

Here is a link that might be useful: pull-out cutting boards

o

Thanks, Ginny!

It took me awhile to figure out the "It's over Winnie's house" thing. I was about to go to FKB and search for "Winnie's kitchen", LOL.

For some reason, I thought Fori meant those school/college lecture room chairs with a board that one should first slide out then pull up (something like that). And I couldn't figure out how to make it work in the kitchen.

o

Sorry, you're right, I wasn't clear. I just wanted to show how it looked when it wasn't pulled out, and that's the best picture I have of it. You can see the little round knobs.

Winnie does think it's her kitchen.

o

Oh, no "sorry", that was incredibly helpful.

In fact, it would be very easy to do and will "kill two birds with one stone".

But I am still curious about the other option.

o

Yeah, that! Although Ginny's is an unusually nice example. Go into any kitchen over 20 years old and it's likely to have a simple board that pulls out tucked under the counter. Some rest on a drawer (they tend to be more sturdy).

Google image search "kitchen cabinet breadboard" and you'll get some. Like this one--didn't you have one when you were a kid? My mother actually used hers for rolling out dough--we had tile counters so there wasn't anywhere else. The old style ones pull out completely and can be used on the counter top or just as a pullout handy shelf.

Here is a link that might be useful: random googled-up image of typical install

o

OK, I guess I misunderstood. :-)

No, my parents did not have one. But their kitchen was pitiful, seriously, and they have never remodeled it even they talked about it many times. :-( I guess, they just got used to it and "made do" with whatever they had. :-)

TX!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here