Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jam5_gw

under counter: micro vs. convection micro vs. micro drawer

jam5
16 years ago

Here's a problem that I thought we had solved, but now we're having second thoughts. Final cabinetry plans are due ASAP to keep our project on schedule. We have a single, built in oven in our plans. That cannot be changed. And we were going to place a microwave (with trim kit) under the counter and a 27" warming drawer below it. It all fits perfectly like a puzzle. We're not huge, dinner-party cooks, but do have things catered, and since we can't fit a double oven we thought the warming drawer could come in handy. We're now wondering if instead of the micro and warming drawer we should consider a Sharp convection micro. We would no longer have room for the warming drawer. We eliminated the Sharp micro drawer, because we didn't like the automatic door. But now that they will be manufacturing a 24" manual drawer we would consider adding that with the warming drawer instead. We have two young sons and mostly use the micro for warming up leftovers, chili and soups. Please provide your opinion on which option you would prefer.

Comments (11)

• jeri
    16 years ago

I *hate* having only one oven. Ovens like the Advantium (120 built-in) and Velos are microwave, convection oven, speed cook, and warming drawer. If you can afford one of these, I really donÂt see why you would not opt for this. Look at the possibilities! Need a MW? OK. Need a second oven? OK. Need to speed cook that chicken you forgot to put in earlier? Ok. Need a warming drawer? OK. Seems like a slam dunk decision to me! :-)

• jam5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jeri,

I agree that an Advantium or Velos would be ideal, but neither one can be installed below counter. They require greater minimum distances from the floor. I have to stick to a below the counter installation.

• jeri
    16 years ago

Hi Jam5

There are folks on the Kitchen side (maybe here as well) who have the Advantium 120 installed below counter. IÂm pretty sure I read that at least one person had this approved by GE and even had warranty service on it with no problem.

Below is one thread on thisÂ

Here is a link that might be useful: Under counter advantium

• shequit
    16 years ago

Hello Jam5
    I am probably the person Jeri referred to regarding the warranty being approved by GE for placing the Advantium under counter. I had already purchased the oven and had ordered my cabs when I found out this could be an issue. I immediately called GE and the rep said "no problem" for undercounter installation. It will not void your warranty. I have, in fact, used the warranty to have the interior light replaced. The fact that the oven has to be removed from the cabinet to replace the light is an engineering defect, I think, but after seeing it done, I could do it myself if I had to and I am old!
    I continue to like this appliance very much and, as I am sure I have said many times, for the two of us, it is all we use for convection cooking, microwave and warming. It is the perfect "second oven" in my opinion.

• jam5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info everyone. I will look into the Advantium again. Any idea why they usually want it installed so high?

• shequit
    16 years ago

Hi Jam5,
    I cannot give you an answer re why GE prefers the oven to be installed above counter. I can, however, give you a phone number to call to talk to a rep. It is 800.432.2737. Good luck with your decisions.

• dlspellman
    16 years ago

Would love to hear what the GE rep tells you as to why they want/prefer them above counter. Thanks!

• bloominwhereplanted
    16 years ago

Have you checked out the Kitchenaid speed oven? I think it's called Ultima... and it's approved for undercounter use if that makes you feel better. It's 240 volt, and I know a bunch of folks around here have one... I don't have one, so can't give many details.
    Good luck with your decision,
    bloomin...

• hollylh
    16 years ago

bump

• orchardmeadow
    16 years ago

bloominwhereplanted -

I checked the Kitchen Aid Ultima specs on their website and it seems that the bottom of the cutout needs to be 40" above the ground, so it wouldn't be okay for an under cabinet installation.

I desperately need an island installation. Do your neighbors seem to be happy with the placement of this unit below the counter?

• eleeny
    16 years ago

Does the Velos or Advantium work just as well as a stand-alone warming drawer? Do they work as well as an oven at browning? Does the 120V Advantium have has much power and as many features as the 240V version?

I'm very interested in both of these units... Just have never seen on in action before. Thanks!