Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denise_777_gw

Kitchen Aid or Jenn Air if you had to�.

denise_777
9 years ago

My husband I are building a new house (tract home). I was so looking forward to choosing appliances, until I realized all I could choose from were Whirlpool family appliances (Whirlpool, Kitchen Aid or Jenn Air). I wanted Thermador or Wolf, so imagine my "delight" when I was presented with this info. I would have just gone ahead with my true desires, but our builder has a national contract with Whirlpool and if we buy outside of that there is a 25% markup on retail for other brands. Not good for top of the line appliance purchasing! After looking around I quickly decided I did not like the looks of the Whirlpool appliances, then I saw Kitchen Aid's which weren't bad looking with the exception of the horrid knobs on the gas cook top. So I eventually decided on Jenn Air, after the sales person gave us his endorsement. However, I am having a very hard time finding reliable recent reviews of Jenn Air products. From what I understand form the salesman, Jenn Air has totally reworked the design and functionality of their appliances, and has assured me they are way better than they used to be and any review I'm seeing is probably based on older models. I've looked through Consumer Reports-salesperson says those reviews are over a year old and for older models. A friend of mine in an upscale Chicago suburb said her appliance repairman said he would put Kitchen Aid appliances in across the board because parts are easy to come by (but he was there working on her beautiful thermador appliances)

Our cabinetry appointment is fast approaching, so I need advice, and quick! Is there anyone out there who has a recent Kitchen Aid appliance package? Or Jenn Air?

OR---do we go with what's included and upgrade nothing and upgrade to what I really want as those become unbearable�but then I have the cabinet problem.

Advice? Thank you so much in advance.

Comments (11)

• Fori
    9 years ago

Either go by looks or go by whatever is cheapest and plan to upgrade yourself and resell gently used appliances. :)

I've had great luck with KA as well as JA, but haven't tested out the new ones.

Dishwasher, fridge, even (to some extent) hood are easily exchanged in the future without cabinet nightmares. A range is too; cooktop and wall ovens aren't as easy. So if you pan on upgrading in the future, and have the ability to select a range, I'd do that.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

The best way to go is not a package, but the individual best appliances in each category.

If I had to choose between the two though I would definitely pick JA. The salesman is correct that they are MUCH improved.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 13:15

• denise_777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Weissmanâ¦I guess. Did I mention it's a tract home? If I could do something different, I would. I see you haven't read "How to Win Friends and Influence People."

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

To elaborate on my post above, I have experience with the "new" JA at my vacation rental. It is the kind of place where something higher end would be expected - but I did not want to spend for the SUPER upscale stuff like Wolf, Thermador, SZ. JennAir seemed like a good compromise especially since I had good experiences with Whirlpool products in the past. In 2009 I put in a 3 piece package - all gas range, built-in bottom mount fridge, and dishwasher. No problems yet and the guests love them.

The range is part of Whirlpool's big investment to "rejuvenate" the JennAir brand. The oven works very well and the touchscreen interface for it is responsive and easy to use. The sealed burners, while not as good as true open burners found on Bluestar, Capital, etc. are more powerful than your standard range and that increase in power is noticeable.

The fridge is pretty much the same as before Whirlpool took over. That's fine because the JennAir built in refrigeration was always good, even in the Maytag days. Looks good, keeps on running with no issues, what more could I ask for.

DW is a rebadged KA. It cleans well and is quiet. I bet the current ones are even quieter thanks to the elimination of the grinder blade. I don't feel it's as well built as the Miele I have in my own kitchen, BUT it also costs quite a bit less than Miele feature for feature so that's to be expected.

Sorry I don't have more in depth feedback but as you can tell I have not spent all that much time using the appliances myself. All I know is when something breaks, or when someone complains, and luckily neither of those things has happened yet.

Still, as impressed as I am with this package I would still mix and match appliances if possible. In the case of the rental, the package rebates and matching look were a lot more important to me than having the best performing appliance in every category. For my own kitchen... the priorities are a bit different. But I could think of far worse brands to be forced into buying than JennAir.

There's NO WAY to get your builder to leave you an applianceless kitchen with the cutouts you specify?

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 20:46

• weissman
    9 years ago

Yeah, I guess I kinda went on a tirade not specifically related to your situation. By tract house, I assume that means similarly looking houses in an area all done by the same builder with limited choices.

In hindsight you should have explored the appliance options before deciding to buy this kind of house but that's water under the bridge. To answer your question, I've been happy with both my older Whirlpool appliances as well as my newer KA appliances - and the KA are more stylish. I don't have experience with JennAir. Do you get an allowance to spend on your appliances and can you mix and match among the brands or do you have to stick with a particular brand - e.g. all KA or all JennAir. If you can mix and match, you should research the individual appliances and not just choose a package.

This post was edited by weissman on Mon, Sep 8, 14 at 21:21

• denise_777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We did quite a bit of housing research actually but our options were limited if we wanted our kids to stay in the same school district and also coordinate timing with the end of our lease we are currently in. We had other extenuating circumstances as well that hemmed us in. We are looking forward to moving to this home and I am a little touchy about what I perceive to be your disapproval. But hey, you don't know me and I don't know you so maybe we should just stick to a discussion about appliances and not builder decisions.

Thank you for your input regarding the appliances. I certainly appreciate that!

• denise_777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@hvtech42
    I really appreciate your follow up info, especially the DW. the KA consumer reports rates very well; much better than the Jenn Air. I think I may go with a mixture of JA and KA. And I double checked with the builder-the 25% additional is a definite.

Years ago my home had an older Jenn Air oven. I loved the self cleaning function on it. I figure if they've improved from there then I'll give them a go. The features on their recent double wall ovens are quite appealing!

• weissman
    9 years ago

Sorry, I don't mean to be disapproving - more disappointed for you - I've seen a fair number of posts on this board over the years by people who are building houses - custom and tract - who end up surprised by their lack of options with appliances, cabinets and other things. I agree there are often constraints - financial, schools, etc. - but if you're going to the trouble of having a house built as opposed to buying an existing house, you really ought to be able to get what you want or at least know going in what you're limited to.

• shaking
    9 years ago

My sister had an entire JA package put in when they did their kitchen and i can say that the dishwasher has been nothing but junk thus far. Every time I go to visit her there is a new leak, the dishes often have to be washed twice its a mess. I would go with a whirlpool dishwasher and when it breaks down upgrade to what you really want. The ranges ovens and fridge all work wonderfully but again if your heart is set on other brands go with the cheaper brand and upgrade later.

• User
    9 years ago

I've had bad luck with my KA appliances

My wall oven roars like a bi-plane (KEBS109BSS). Having them back again tomorrow as warranty ran out last week.

My KA dishwasher has leaked several times, but the repair guy can't replicate it - so I only run it when I can keep an eye.

I've learnt the most important thing is service. My LG fridge has an ice maker issue - but because they were actual LG tech's - they knew more, and stayed on the issue. And went above and beyond in replacing parts to make sure I was happy.

The KA repair guys (well nice enough) are third party, so I'm just another repair - and there really is no need for them to go above to build up the brands they are servicing.

so - check your area, and your favourite brands service policy, staff and coverage.