Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
b4wine

Who Make Bosch?

beth4
16 years ago

I was told yesterday that Miele makes Bosch (at least, their dish washers). This was a huge surprise to me. Is that accurate? If it is, has it been a recent merger?

Thanks.

Comments (27)

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

As far as I know. Miele makes Miele, Bosch makes Bosch Gaggenau,and thermador(not sure about that)

• Joe Blowe
    16 years ago

More than you'd ever want to know about BSH Bosch und Siemens Hausgeräte GmbH [pdf]...

• looser
    16 years ago

Bosch doesn't have anything in common with Miele besides the fact that they are both German appliance manufacturers. Bosch does have plants in the U.S. and they make washers, dryers, ranges and dishwashers.
    Some Kenmore appliances, including dishwashers, are also made by Bosch.

• beth4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all. You have confirmed what I always thought.

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

When I called Bosch a few weeks ago about something, I was told they are their own Manufacturer and don't use anyone else's parts. Hopefully, that is fact.

• tobokat
    16 years ago

I also heard that Bosch is the maker of Bosch, Thermador (US) and Gaggenau (Europe).

• antss
    16 years ago

tobo - Bosch, more specifically BSH, owns Gaggenau and Thermador. They maintain seperate mgmt., and manufacturing for the most part. Exceptions are the new Built-In ref. for the American market and the Dishwashers which are made in NC.

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

All I know is, after 18 months of owning a Bosch dishwasher, I finally learned how to pronounce it ("bosh"). Don't laugh--I thought it was "boshk" for some reason that makes no sense to me now.

That little plastic doohicky on the top somehow bent/dropped down a bit, and now it catches on the top rack so that it won't open! Figures! After the one year warranty. Wondering what they will now charge me for parts and labor...

OT: how do you pronounce Aga?

Francy

• migafre
    16 years ago

just have to say first off i'm new to the forum(although long time lurker) so hi.

I wanted to take advantage of the topic to ask if anybody has had any experience with the Bosch Evolution series fridges? I bought one on impulse this week-end because it was on sale at Sears ($1699 instead of $1999). I had seen it in person at a local family owned dealer and had liked it alot but thought the price was steap for the size. It's not too late to cancel the order though so I'm asking, is it any good? I haven't seen many posts on Bosch fridges here part from one if memory serves me right(and it made me think twice about what I had done since the person had temp problems)
    If anyone can give me feedback it'd be great. thx

• jim_lydialarter
    8 years ago

Don't buy Bosch...they are not the company that they used to be. Inferior parts and the appliances only last during warranty phase, then you are on your own.

• Jakvis
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Jim\_l, I agree with Joe.
    I've been servicing Bosch branded appliances for many years and found that they have been very generous in helping customers with out of warranty products. I've seen them help customers even after I reported abuse of the product.
    I don't know what your issue is but it certainly doesn't reflect my experience with the brand.
    Maybe if you explain what the issue your having is the people on this forum could give you suggestions on how to handle it.

• kitchengirl
    8 years ago

Joe and Jakvis: I was just appliance shopping for our home under construction earlier this week. the sales person, a very gentle, honest guy, and longterm appliance salesperson with a mechanical background, also mentioned to me that he has had increasing complaints about Bosch in the last year or two. He still felt positive about Thermador.

• Jakvis
    8 years ago

According to my Bosch Rep the Bosch sales have exploded over the last couple years and they are selling close to 50% more appliances than they did just a few years ago. With selling more appliances your sales person would be right that they are hearing a few more complaints but percentage wise complaints haven't really hasn't gone up and that seems to match what I'm seeing in the field.

• malba2366
    8 years ago

Bosch makes great appliances their ranges, cooktops, dishwashers and ovens are very well designed and built. Their weakpoint is freestanding refrigeration, these units are largely manufactured by other companies (ie whirlpool makes their counter depth french door). Note that I am not refering to their built in units which are made by them alongside thermador and gaggneau units.

• beckbjd2
    8 years ago

So as long as someone has resurrected this thread, and I happened to land on it in my search, I have a question for any Bosch experts out there.

I have a Bosch dishwasher that I have loved like crazy for 11 years. I cook a lot, so even though there's only two of us I average 6 full loads a week. I'll often do three on Sundays which is when I do a lot of cooking for the week. It's now got a problem with the drain pump. I've already had to suck out the water a few times, and I've opened up the bottom, cleaned the filter, cleaned the impeller, and pulled the backflow plug on probably three occasions. The first time there was some food in there, but the last couple times no. I've noticed that the pump is a great deal louder and more buzzy than in the past. It used to be very nearly silent.

Given that it is 11 years old, is it likely to be more cost effective to have the pump repaired (we aren't handy enough to do it ourselves), or are more things likely to start going wrong at this age making it more effective to get a new dishwasher?

f it's a slippery slope type situation, I'd rather not start putting money into this one that I could use to buy a new one...but if it is likely to be good for years after fixing the pump, it may be a worthwhile fix.

Advice appreciated!

• User
    8 years ago

Kitchengirl - your salesman really isn't that well informed.

many of the Thermador product are direct copies of Bosch product with pretty thermador silkscreen logos. The exceptions are products not offered in the Bosch lineup like pro ranges and range tops, and the non freedom collection of fridges. The rest all share the same parts bin and often production line . Service calls are routed to the same call center too.

So, I'm not saying his perception is wrong, it's his after all. But, he's making his assessment based on smoke and mirrors.

beck, I'd put the $$$ for a pump towards a new DW, but would ride yours till it just won't go anymore.

• PRO
    Joe Henderson
    8 years ago

would agree with jakvis. Since the launch of their new cooking line and more refrigerator offerings, we have seen HUGE growth in bosch. Generally speaking we see very small numbers of complaints, however its more than it was in the past. So he's not numerically wrong, but that doesn't indicate a problem. Just means we are selling a lot more!

At 11 years you are at the stage where its tough…Probably ultimately not worth investing in a pump. Almost all appliances have functional lives or roughly 8-12 years. Just a fact of life today with almost all brands!

• fillmoe
    8 years ago

Two different salespeople at my favorite appliance store, Cherins in San Francisco, told me that the stoves sold under the Bosch name in the big box stores are mostly made by Frigidaire. In one discussion the salesman asked me how I go about choosing what I want to do with the oven. As soon as I answered he knew that I had a Bosch-made stove. The difference, he said, is that the Bosch-made stoves have "true European convection," meaning that besides having a fan, there is actually heat produced by turning on the fan, I guess from a separate element. Don't know how much difference it makes, but that's what he said.

• PRO
    Joe Henderson
    8 years ago

They are correct. The lower end models (HGS3 and HGS5) models have been made by electrolux/frigidaire for a few years now. This is for price points. The HGS7 (no longer made) and HGI8 models are made by bosch.

Convection in most gas ranges is just a fan used to redistribute heat. European convection means there is an element wrapped around the convection fan. This can be used as a strictly convection heating mode (no top or bottom heat). This is better for multi rack and multi item baking as there is less flavor transfer and more direct heat. The new bosch made slide ins DONT have this though, at least so I believe. I would have to look and see but I don't think so.

• Jakvis
    8 years ago

According to the parts breakdown the new Bosch slide in electric and dual fuel have a convection ring element which is what everyone calls European Convection.

On their website they have a part lookup and I added the link here http://www.bosch-home.com/us/store/spareparts/30DualFuelSlideinRange/HDI8054U/01#explodeTab4

• PRO
    Joe Henderson
    8 years ago

That parts diagram is for their dual fuel made. I was referring strictly to the all gas model. Sorry for not being clear on that.

• anoop
    8 years ago

Just got a Bosch fridge (the 800 series french door counter depth). I was told by the salesperson that they are made in the same factory where the Whirlpools are made. That makes sense because the interior designs are almost identical.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Bosch free-standing fridges are made by Whirlpool, Bosch builtin fridges are made by Bosch/Thermador/Gaggenau.

• amabyam
    8 years ago
    who makes their Bosch 800 series induction cooktops?
  • hvtech42
    8 years ago

who makes their Bosch 800 series induction cooktops?

Bosch does.

They make all of their products except freestanding ranges, freestanding refrigeration and microwave drawers.

• quienerez
    3 years ago

Looking to buy a new standard depth refrigerator, does anyone know if the upgraded Bosch Pro Handles fit any other brands? I don't care much about the brand/logo as I will just use a fishing line to remove it, just need a recommended replacement that can accommodate my existing Pro Handles. -- I have had a Bosch Counter Depth Refrigerator for over 8 years with no problems until last month. We remodeled some bathrooms and once the water was turned back on my ice maker started making a solid block of ice, then it started leaking and now it's not working at all. I replaced the waterline and still not working. Since it's counter depth I thought I would just replace my garage one with this one and buy a standard depth.