Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
camargo_gw

Bosch oven door glass shattered during self clean

camargo
15 years ago

After lurking here for a couple of months as we undertook our kitchen remodel, I joined this weekend to offer good feedback on the seller of our Bosch double oven.

As luck would have it, yesterday I ran the self clean cycle for the first time, and, about 1/2 hour into it, the middle pane of glass on the oven door (there are 3 of them) shattered! I turned the self clean off and got to spend a Sunday evening vacuuming shards of glass out of every nook and cranny of the ovens and the area around them.

Anyway, thought I'd post our experiences with Bosch support here, as there is not that much data on their ovens. Model # is HBL355OUC (the "300" series of their 30" double ovens, with convection upper and standard lower). Had only used the convection upper a few times (installed 8/28) but we were impressed by the preheat time and the performance.

Called Bosch this morning and they referred me to a local shop, from whom I am waiting to hear back.

We've gotten a lot out of this site over the last few months (DIY gut remodel of original 1960 kitchen, including changing floorplan) and thought posting our experience with how Bosch resolves this issue may be of interest to others.

Comments (29)

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Yikes, camargo! Yes, do please post updates. Hope it can be resolved easily and to your satisfaction.

(And I'm hoping that when you say "shards", you mean tiny little pieces of tempered glass, not jagged shards that could cut someone, yes?)

After reading about this happening to other people with other brands, or having the self-clean burn out the electronic circuit boards, we decided to go with no self-clean in our range (and no electronic circuit board, either). I suppose you could get a self-clean option that a future buyer might use, but they seem fraught with more risk than reward.

Bosch, we'll be watching...

• camargo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Brief update: it's now been 2 days since the door shattered and 1.5 days since I first contacted Bosch. The local shop ("All Lines Appliance Repair") has not called me back. Called Bosch, and they tried to call as well; were also unsuccesful in getting in touch with them.

Bosch requested that I fax them all my paperwork around this purchase, assigned me a case number, and said they'd find another shop to do the repairs in 24-48 hours. Have sent the fax and waiting to hear back. Talked to an extremely nice and sympathetic representative at Bosch, but, have to admit, the pace of progress here is not exactly encouraging.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Oh Bosch...get on it! This valued customer can't use her oven! Does she have to post pics to the internet to get your attention?!

camargo, you do know of consumeraffairs.com, yes?

Here is a link that might be useful: keep this just in case...

• mindstorm
    15 years ago

camargo,
    I would call Bosch back and tell them that you have posted here and that people are keeping tabs on your updates here. Their "customer response" will be tracked.

Speaking for myself, I had a performance question/issue and had called Bosch on it, they gave me the contact name and information of a company. Those chaps did come out - I did not have a very good feeling about the abilities of that company's rep and had an even more distasteful feeling about the second chap who came out to follow up. When the guy was on the phone with his boss, he let me speak to the boss - that was the chap from the service company who was apparently actually "blessed by bosch" or however this whole "Bosch accredited service rep" thing goes - who told me that his guy had given me incorrect information. Subsequently, I spoke to the Bosch customer service guys to corroborate the "information" that I'd accrued and they were livid that (a) the service guys were giving me flagrantly bad information (b) that the service company had sent out some random joe from their shop to address my service issue instead of the guy who really was "Bosch blessed". I thought that was all a lot of huffing and puffing for my benefit but it mustn't have been because they subsequently removed that company from their web list of approved service shops and they sent one of their own guys from their own shop (Bosch brand) to run the diagnostic evaluation and get to the bottom of my questions. He spent easily two hours doing a variety of tests to show me empirically what was what with the oven.

All told, while I'm not euphoric about Bosch's service capability, I was quite pleased that they were that serious about it, and eventually definitely got to the bottom of my problem. (Long story short: I should've read the manual.)

• camargo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

update: after faxing everything to Bosch on Tuesday, they called back last night with the name of another shop to contact. Just got off the phone with the shop, and Bosch had already authorized the repair and is overnighting them the needed replacement parts. They'll call once they have the part to schedule service. Seemed very responsive.

Not thrilled about the time this is taking, but am happy that Bosch is clearly taking this seriously. Everyone I've spoken to there has been very pleasant, and seemingly focused on resolving this issue.

• eandhl
    15 years ago

5+ yrs ago after instillation of my Bosch DW I noticed a problem with the door springs. Apparently springs had been put on the door that were for a door with a panel so it wouldn't stay down. I called the store of purchase and that eve I received a call from a Bosch rep. Next day someone was sent to change the springs. I found them extremely responsive.

• User
    15 years ago

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/bosch.html

i remember reading about this problem when i was researching appliances. here's a link to some customer testimony/complaints about this very problem with shattering glass. it's mixed in with some others, but there are at least three similar incidences listed here. good luck!

• camargo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update: the appliance company scheduled a service call with me on Monday as they received the part. Appointment was for today. No one showed up. Called, and the owner claimed it was not on their calendar. I had documented the whole sequence of conversations. He was apologetic, and blamed his employee for not noting it. New service call scheduled for next week.

On the plus side, the lower (non-convection) oven works well, and succesfully survived its first self-clean cycle.

Has been two weeks now. Not happy. Bosch clearly has some service problems, at least in this area (New England).

• camargo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update: fixed! repairmen finally showed up today. Replaced 2 of the 3 panes of glass on the door. Ran the self clean cycle, and no problems!

Hope this is useful to anyone else looking into Bosch double ovens. Performance, as mentioned above, has been very good, but this issue did take a while to fix. Price was excellent, so still overall feeling "ok" with purchase.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Glad to hear it's fixed...honestly, for me, I wouldn't run the self-clean again; why chance it? Their glass obviously isn't strong enough. Just pretend it doesn't have self-clean and you'll be fine.

• eandhl
    15 years ago

camargo, glad it is fixed and you are pleased with the range. By the way above when I mentioned I had next day service from Bosch, I too am in New England, CT. But I have certainly run into slow repair service in NW, actually I had an extended warranty on my last appliances given to me because of the problem. It was a GE extended one and I attempted to use it once. No one would come out as far as we lived!

• ya_think
    15 years ago

2.5 weeks from problem reported to problem fixed. Non-emergency, as one of two ovens was functional the whole time. From what I am reading the delays were due to local repair shops and not Bosch themselves. Frankly, I do not understand the excitement. Job well done in my book.

• melba3fine
    10 years ago

Okay. I just cleaned my Bosch and this happened - AGAIN. Second time. I am getting the run around from Squaretrade (had a warranty - they don't cover physical damage BTW) and Bosch wants to wait to send me a diagnosis and then determine if I am to blame. Seriously? I pushed "start" was all I did. Second time.

Something is wrong with their glass manufacturer.

So frustrated

• benz601
    8 years ago

Another Bosch shattered. Apparently they haven't gotten it right yet. I have had my $3000+ new Bosch Induction Free Standing range for about two months. I absolutely LOVE IT. Last weekend I buttered some baked potatoes and after they were done the oven floor was a mess. So I took the racks out, and pressed Clean, then Start. About 45 minutes into the clean cycle, I heard the horrible cracking noise of the glass. Shut it down to cool so I could open it. Over half of the inside layer of the glass door was crumbled and mostly laying on the floor of the stove. Repairman ordered me a new glass. Says it's in stock and should have it installed with in a week. I am nervous to try it again, and I can't see if the butter is gone cause there is glass all over it. Oy!

• neilvoss
    8 years ago

I'm in a similar but more unusual boat. We've owned a single wall-unit 500 series Bosch convection oven since 2009 (the new-in-2009 model). Aside finding the convection horribly uneven, I recently ran it on self-clean, completed the cycle, opened the door to inspect the cleaning and wipe down, closed the door and heard an odd crunch sound. I opened the door again with that the door catapulted open, glass shattering and falling out. One of the screws retaining the door seems to have popped and it literally launched the thing open under spring tension and sent broken glass flying everywhere. It was the inner-most panel which appeared NOT to be tempered (it broke into big, jagged sheets). One sheet of glass fell edge-wise on my foot! -- fortunately I just got a nasty bruise, it wasn't the cut, sharp edge.

I called BOSCH about it, they sent a local tech and I was told it would be a $500 repair - and that BOSCH only covers the appraisal visit. I'm now waiting to hear if they will cover anything else. I can't see spending $500 to fix an oven that basically blew apart after normal, moderate use. Especially since a cursory google search for OEM replacement glass is $60 (not that I want to attempt to re-assemble the door myself).

• athomesewing
    8 years ago

Yikes! Thanks for posting information about this issue with the Bosch ovens.

• danni_blackburn
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I just used my Bosh oven for the first time OMG the glass shattered everywhere! So scary! Very upsetting indeed!

• Mike Smith
    8 years ago

I just tried the self clean feature for the first time on my Bosch oven and the glass exploded just like the others here. Do not buy one of these Bosch ovens.

• benz601
    8 years ago

Mike, I feel your shock as I was one who posted earlier with the same experience. I now keep aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven and I haven't cleaned it again. Would probably use some old fashion spray if I had to clean it, HOWEVER, I WOULDN'T TRADE THIS RANGE. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT IT!!!! INCREDIBLE IN EVERY OTHER ASPECT. But Bosch.....how do you sell ovens that can't use the clean cycle? I wonder what happens when they test it? Oh the glass exploded, oh well?????

• Lacrimioara Lily
    8 years ago

I experienced the same thing, last week, exactly on the day we were celebrating my son's birthday. The inner door of my Bosch electric oven shattered on thousand pieces (on preheating mode). I just bought the oven 2 months ago and was the third time I was using it! It's so frustrating...I could never imagine that this oven will represent such a danger in my kitchen…

• gqsales
    8 years ago

For the recent cases of this problem... what model number of wall oven does this problem affect? The 300 series was referenced in the original post (2008) but what about the recent replies (2015, 2016). Is it the new benchmark line?

(we're in the process of buying a new wall oven and were considering bosch but this seems pretty dangerous!!)

• kellcapa
    7 years ago

it just happened to me! yikes. Thanksgiving is tomorrow. I have the 30" HBLP651LU benachmarch double oven bought in 2015. First time using the self clean and also 30 minutes into the cycle

• jomstanley
    7 years ago

My Bosch oven is 1 1/2 years old and has been great until I used the Self Clean feature for the first time. We heard a pop and sure enough, the inside glass shattered into thousands of little pieces. Fortunately we purchased a five year warranty with it and we have been waiting 4 days to find someone who can come into our area to repair it. Not sure how long that will take and of course, it is 2 weeks before Chrustmas.

What good is a self clean feature if you can't use?

Surely Bosch being rather pricey would get this problem resolved on future as well as current ovens

• ninasmom
    7 years ago

Same thing happened to me- brand new oven. Turns out the store delivered the floor model. They did replace it, and now I avoid the self-clean cycle.

• rmartella
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

rmart

Same thing happened to me. My oven is 1.5 years old used self clean once. Second time pop and the glass shattered. Customer service told me who to call, they did not even need to come out they new about the problem from other people. Bosch says to bad out of warranty. What do expect for three thousand dollars.

• jomstanley
    6 years ago

Sorry to hear your oven is out of warranty. I think the part and labor will be around $450. My daughter had the glass of her 2 1/2 yr old General Electric double oven shatter and she was just heating up a pizza. it is rather upsetting to know these expensive items are not lasting very long anymore. We were told we'd be lucky to get 10 years out of any appliance anymore. What a racket!

• Varsheeni Pamidimukkala
    3 years ago

Another Bosch oven shattered. We are based in Kenya and bought a brand new Bosch oven and while heating up our burgers, the inside glass shattered. We heard a soft pop and opened the oven door to see shattered glass.

• HU-610436123
    2 years ago

Last weekend my 3-year old top of the line Bosch 800 series combination convection wall oven (model HBL8751UCC) introduced us to a secret Bosch recipe for preparing meat. About 15 minutes into cooking two trays of steak, the inner sheet of glass in the oven shattered into a thousand small pieces, showering the meat with delicious chunks of broken glass! After discussing the issue with my Bosch representative all I got was an apology and a 20% discount on buying a replacement piece of glass (no discount at all for the labor). Looking at the internet, it became clear that Bosch has been using the secret glass recipe in their ovens for about 10 years now, and it's apparently such a big hit with consumers that the company has decided not to make any changes to their recipe. Ahhh, there have been other issues with this oven, like the ever dimming display on the microwave control panel (now barely visible) and the weird way that closing the microwave door would sometimes turn the lower oven on (a ghost in the machine?). A word to the wise--if you're thinking of buying a Bosch oven, you might want to consider some other brands--unless you like the taste of glass in your favorite recipes.