Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help: refrigerator water line pulsing

Posted by tom_g_dc (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 10:26

Hi. I'm trying to diagnose an issue with my refrigerator. It is a Kitchenaid KBRS20ETSS01. It has a water filter that mounts inside the cabinet near the ceiling of the refrigerator section. The water comes into this filter and then seems to leave via another line down to the inlet valve where it splits to feed the drinking water outlet and icemaker.

The trouble is it will be working fine but after about 12 oz. of drawing drinking water there is a loud pulsing sound and the water flow slows dramatically. The pulsing will continue even if I let it rest a few minutes before starting to fill again but is immediately resolved if I just unseat and then reseat the water filter.

I originally thought it was probably the inlet valve (and that might still be right but am looking for your wisdom here), but when I pulled out the fridge from the wall, as best I can tell, the pulsing can only be felt in the line coming from the floor into the filter, not in the part from the filter to the valve.

I have tried replacing the filter with a new filter and the problem is the same. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help: refrigerator water line pulsing

I *think* (fingers crossed) I may have figured this out so I thought I'd post a follow up in case others have this problem in the future.

It appears the problem is with the Water Filter Head (part 67006524) that the filter mounts on to. The filter head has an integrated valve (presumably so it doesn't spray on you when you change the filter) that may not fully open when the filter is in place. I found a description of the valve on another site and it actuates when two little plus-shaped buttons are depressed by the filter. So to get them to depress further I cut a little washer out of foodsafe plastic of the right size and put it in between the head and the filter so they get pressed down further. So far so good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here