Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FYI - my makeup air solution

Posted by fouramblues (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 12 at 10:15

The code for makeup air is not enforced where I live, but I wanted some sort of makeup air for peace of mind. We just couldn't/wouldn't pay for conditioned makeup air. So I lurked around here and some builder forums for any info I could find. This is what I came up with:

makeupairboosterfan

(A very quiet 500 CFM duct booster fan controlled by a switch under the cabinet next to the range)

Photobucket

(A motorized damper controlled by same switch)

The ducting is all in the ceiling. The intake is the proper distance from the hood exhaust, and the ducting terminates with an unobtrusive vent cover about 5' from the range. Sure, it doesn't turn on automatically when the hood goes on, but I use it only when the hood is on high.

So that's my $166 solution to the makeup air problem (not including the contractor's time to install the stuff). So far so good!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FYI - my makeup air solution

It wouldn't be a big stretch to wire this in such a way that it activated when the hood was on high.

o

I wish I'd realized that was possible, weedmeister! That's what I wanted to do, but thought it was an all or nothing proposition...

o

I'm not sure why a booster fan would be required. After all you are just replacing the air that you are blowing out of the home.
To me it seems that a damper with a pipe diameter of the same size as the blower exhaust pipe would be all that was needed as long as it is close to the room with the hood. You would automatically pull in the same amount of air your were blowing out.

o

The need for a booster fan depends on the pressure loss in the MUA path vs. what is safe for combustion appliances. Otherwise, it wouldn't matter much except for the drop in hood performance due to house negative pressure.

The question is: when using a large diameter MUA path (i.e., larger than a mosquito diameter) what do you filter it with, and what is the pressure drop as a result. A fan such as in the OP's solution helps make up for the filter prsesure drop.

kas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here