Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abekker_gw

please help to narrow down the right gas range

abekker
9 years ago

Hi,
We are building a new house. I am looking at the 30' ranges. I liked Thermador (comes with a free dishwasher), but just realized it doesn't have a timer and the clicking noise will probably be annoying. Ideally, I would prefer the semi pro look without the heavy price tag (that's one of the reasons I am going with 30 vs 36). I liked Bosch 800 duel fuel not for the looks, but for the functionality, however I didn't like the stainless around the burners, which will make spills harder to clean. What other options should I consider?

Comments (17)

• philwojo99
    9 years ago

Tell us your cooking style, how many you cook for, how often you cook, what you cook and that can help as well.

I personally wouldn't skimp on your kitchen if you are building a new house, a few extra thousand dollars now won't add much to a mortgage so why live with regrets.

personally I love having gone to a 36" range top up from a 30", best decision we made in the kitchen. I would have gone bigger if we had the room, but we didn't. If you have extra space and don't use it most of the time but need it, at least it is there. If you go with a 30" and need a 5th burner twice a year, there is no way to get it after the fact.

Think hard before you make your plans final, now is the time to make the decisions you want, whatever they may be so you don't have those regrets later.

Phil

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

How often would you actually use the XLO setting on the Thermador for extended periods? Most I've talked to who actually own the cooktops don't find it to be an issue.

I'd take a look at JennAir and GE Cafe.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

You mentioned a timer on the range. I would not let a timer be a factor in this decision. You can buy good timers from Polder or Marathon for about $20. I have a timer on my range and never use it. It's a PITA to set and only has one timer setting. Meanwhile the Polder $20 one allows 3 timer settings at once. Better to choose a range based on how even the oven heats, durability, and the burner configuration. Also keep in mind that you will get more bang for the buck with an all-gas range than a dual duel.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's 4 of us, 2 adults and two kids. I have a 15 year old gas range, I believe ge. I cook a lot but have never cooked on a pro range. I grill a lot outside, that's a feature I would love to have on a range. I broil fish...hmmm...soups. I need to expand my menu. I bake, but usually I do that in my counter top toaster oven. My kitchen will be pretty big 15 by 19. I think if I can manage to find a good deal I can get a 36 ' range. The 30' doesn't look that good, at the same time what are the chances I will ever need 6 burners going at once.I was looking at GE Cafe, but just read some bad reviews of the oven having hot pockets and not baking well. Which brands should I focus on? The sasalesperson was pushing Thermador, but I read somewhere that it's because they get very high commision . Please help. I need to at least figure out if ii am sticking with 30 or 36 range, otherwise I will be holding up the kitchen design. Thanks!

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Sounds like you are more interested in looks than cooks. So look at all of the ''pretty'' Italian ranges like the Berta. Or if you are more interested in performance than looks, look at Capital or Bluestar. Performance also will need a reassessment of yourentg to match.

• philwojo99
    9 years ago

Also, what is your budget for all the appliances, including a vent hood and dish washer?

Do you have to have all the brands match? Most people on here don't do that, but for some it is a must.

Do you prefer open or closed burners? If you don't know the difference I would research that a bit.

Do you need a broiler, rotisserie, steam oven, speed oven?

I think I can offer up some suggestions as will others, but as someone has said it seems you are, at least for now, looking more at "looks" than function. That is fine if that is what you want, but if could change what people offer up for feedback.

I love my 36" BS (blue star) range top, and do I ever use all 6 burners, not often, but I have used 5 before. But having the extra space is a nice feature I wouldn't want to give back. You could always opt for 4 burners and a 12" grill or griddle.

Phil

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

At this point it is more the look I am going for, because I have never cooked on one before. Honestly, I don't think any range will affect my cooking much. Maybe I should just go with a 30 inch duel fuel slide in like Bosch and save my money. I am pretty sure I would be fine with that, but we r building a new house with a big kitchen. Will my 30 ' slide in look right?

• philwojo99
    9 years ago

The looks are up to you, you have to live with them. I live by the motto of build/buy for us not for the future owners. Though I say that with a little hesitation. If I knew I was going to be out in less than 5 years I would probably put my personal taste to the side and buy (install) what the area and market call for.

Best of luck in your decision.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Probably won't be out in 5 yrs, more like 15. So what do you suggest I buy. This is my kitchen.

• philwojo99
    9 years ago

What is your budget? And from the drawing it looks like a cook top/ range top is in the drawing with a separate wall oven, or am i looking at it wrong?

So, do you need a range?

To be clear a range is a cook top and an oven in one unit.

A cook top or range top are just the burners and fit in to either cutout in the counter top or rest on top of a platform, depending on the one you pick.

If you need both a cook top/range top and a wall oven let us know that. if it is just a range, let us know that.

And again, what is your budget?

Phil

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't know what I should do. So the plan is not final.

• alerievay1
    9 years ago

Until you have a budget or specific needs, I'm not sure how anyone can help. I mean that kindly; I was in a similar situation, and until I really started looking at my budget and needs, I felt completely overwhelmed by all the options.

As a general rule, a separate cooktop/rangetop and oven arrangement is significantly more expensive than a range setup, both in actual appliance cost and in cabinet cost. Many people do prefer the separate pieces, especially in a larger kitchen.

• julieste
    9 years ago

Some people here are trying to make you think you'll want a 36" instead of a 30". You say you've never cooked on a gas range and are more interested in getting the look than the functionality. Then, just stick with the 30". A 36" oven takes much longer to heat up, and do you really need all of that space anyway? As far as a 5th burner on a 30", I have a friend who put one of these in her remodel nearly two years ago because it was her compromise for not being able to fit in a 36" She cooks a ton and entertains a ton. She has never once used that 5th burner.

I may be wrong, but my impression from your comments is that you are probably not someone who is a super dedicated cook who has very specific needs in order to be able to carry out a certain kind of cooking. In that case, I'd go with the look you want rather than doing a search for certain features. And, I'd choose the one that gives you the look you want for the least amount of money.

One thing no one has mentioned yet is that many people here look for a mechanically simplified range because it is less likely to break down than those with tons of computerized parts that may break down easily.

I have both a wall oven and a range. I don't use that second oven in the wall all that often, but when I am entertaining like at Thanksgiving, I am super glad I have two ovens available. Thought this might help you with the decision about whether to get just a cooktop or a range.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your help. The reasons I am leaning towards a range are, as mentioned above, it is a cheaper option, but also in my kitchen layout if I put the wall oven microwave combo as indicated on the plan my microwave will be too far from my kitchen triange - work area. So, I will look into ranges. My budget is somewhat flexible, but I personally don't feel the need to purchase a 10 k fridge and 7 k range. It's more like trying to keep up with the Jones in my case and resale value, but I don't think there is a guarantee that any appliances will hold up very long. With that said, which range and fridge would you recommend. I've heard good things about sharp microwaves andMiele or Bosch dishwashers. Thanks again.

• flyingwhiteninja
    9 years ago

Curious to know what you decided on..in the same exact boat. Need a 30in gas range with similar needs and budget.

• greasetrap
    9 years ago

I really don't see the point in buying a 36" range, unless you need all 6 burners and a huge oven. Why not just get a 30" and save some money? I also agree with you about not getting a $10K fridge. Why not get a good $2K full-depth fridge with more storage space?

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company