Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gaggenau Steam oven to replace microwave?

Posted by ilovecat1 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 10:11

Hello. This is my first post! We are about to start a kitchen remodel and getting a Gaggenau Ed231630, which should arrive in a couple of days. This is the older Gagg steam oven, but I am getting it new, never used. Any thoughts on using this in place of a microwave???? We currently just use the micro for heating up stuff and snacks for our 11 & 13 year old boys. I have to decide quickly because it is holding up our design and I need to finalize in order to order my cabinets. Prior to "having to have" this steam oven, I was going to do the Thermador wall oven/conv micro combination (2 ovens.) Now I am not sure if I need that many ovens. Help. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gaggenau Steam oven to replace microwave?

Can it replace a microwave, yes, will it be the same as a microwave, no. What I mean is you can use it to heat and reheat foods, but think of it as an oven, not a microwave. It will heat up quicker than a full size over, but it still requires heat up time and takes time to cook food, it doss not have the speed of a microwave.

Hope that helps.

Phil

o

Here are two good threads about this on gardenweb. See if these help:

Reheating - Miele Steam Oven vs. Microwave - How Long?

Will a steam oven really replace our microwave?

o

You will love your Gagg but you still need a small, cheap microwave somewhere for occasional use. But, you will never want to use it to reheat after you use your Gagg.

Good threads Zartemis linked for you above.

o

Thanks so much. Another question. Gaggenau wall oven 27" which is the 200 series. I can buy a floor model at a good price to go with my steam oven. Concerned about the size. Although it is wider that my current old oven by 3", it is also 3" shallower. Will I have enough oven for my family of 4? Anybody have the steam plus 27" wall oven? thanks.

o

I am planning a 27in gaggenau oven with a 24in combi steam above.. Kitchen is stil work in progress., so everything is is waiting in the garage for the installation.

Lalitha

o

see my comments re: Gaggenau 27" oven in the other thread

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here