Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nadianyc_gw

Will I Miss My Bosch If I Switch to Fisher Paykel Double Drawer?

nadianyc
9 years ago

I've had only Bosch dishwashers for decades and have been very happy but am willing to switch to another brand. We're a family of 4 and I cook often. I wash everything in the dishwasher except for pots and pans. If I switch to a Fisher Paykel Tall Double Drawer, what will I miss about my Bosch, if anything at all? Will my large Epicurean cutting boards fit Ok?

Comments (12)

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Yes, you'll miss it big time. DD are LOUD, and have issues getting items cleaned. Usually due to less than optimal installation because it's not your usual rodeo in that regard.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I would advise finding a DishDrawer at a showroom if possible and bringing your stuff to see how it fits.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I understand they've rearranged the interiors of the DishDrawers since I got them in 2006. If so, then maybe the layout will be ok, but I can fit twice the amount of stuff in my new Bosch as I could in the old dishdrawers. More importantly, the Bosch actually cleans the dishes, and the dishdrawers weren't so good at that!

• aprince
    9 years ago

Oh Yeah!

• lee676
    9 years ago

The rack layout on the Dishdrawers hasn't changed much over the years, but that's fine since it's a good layout. The new ones are available with deeper top drawers, and the flip-down cup/glass shelves are height-adjustable on the newer ones.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

but that's fine since it's a good layout

If it hasn't changed since what I had, I have to disagree - I thought the layout was terrible. I'm going to see what I can find online.

• lee676
    9 years ago

What's wrong with it?

The left half is designed so that it can easily accomodate either plates or glasses (something strangely rare in dishwasher racks, especially the lower ones); the right half has a smaller section for plates, bowls, or cookware, with a utensil basket in the front. There are 4 cup/glass shelves that fold down, two on each side. On the newer machines with the taller tub, these are adjustable in height and the left side is tall enough to hold full-height glasses both above and below the shelf. This is a good design IMO.

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    9 years ago

I've had Jenn Air dish drawers for 3 years now and while I will say they have suited my purpose and work just fine for our 3 person family, I would not replace a full size dishwasher with them. I am lucky in that I have another full size dishwasher to use as well.

• lee676
    9 years ago

I think the Fisher & Paykel drawers are much better designed than the Jenn-Air/KitchenAid/Whirlpool ones.

• dadoes
    9 years ago

There have been significant changes in DishDrawer racking in the last couple years.

The four side shelves are height-adjustable. Previously they were fixed at a specific height, not adjustable. They've always flipped fully up if not needed.

Rows of tines in the rack can now be flipped up or down to lay flat.

The tines on the cup-rack insert on the left side can be adjusted for spacing between the tines to facilitate deep bowls (wide spacing) or small plates (narrow spacing).

Check the user guide/manual at F&P's web site for further details.

• User
    9 years ago

I've had the dd for 9 years and I wouldn't have anything else. The only time they haven't cleaned was the couple of times early on when I blocked the impeller by dropping utensils through the grid. Removed the utensil, re-ran the load, cleaned fine.

• xc60
    9 years ago

We love our DCS (Fisher Paykel) dish drawers, they are super quite and wash dishes amazingly. Would never go back to a regular dishwasher. I also think they fit more dishes, not less than a regular dishwasher.