Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macherie75

Stainless Steel Cleaner suggestions?

macherie75
9 years ago

Just got a brand-new stainless steel range and hood, looking for ideas on what to use to keep it clean.

So far I heard positive things about WD-40 and Weiman. Did some Googling, came up with a lot of info, but too much to sort though - would love to hear personal recommendations.

What do you use to clean your stainless steel appliances?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (14)

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

3M Stainless Cleaner

• macherie75
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, forgot to mention... smell is important. If you could tell me what your cleaner smells like, that would be great.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

1/4 ammonia and 3/4 water, in a spray bottle. Smells like ammonia; cleans with no streaks.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Pledge in the yellow and brown can. Avoid greasy film forming "cleaners" like WD40 and others. They just attract and hold dirt. Classic Pledge just smells like lemon.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I also used Pledge when I had stainless appliances - it worked great, I just got tired of cleaning stainless appliances, so I paneled the fridge and dishwasher this time around.

• malabacat_gw
    9 years ago

I use Weiman's. The smell is mild and not unpleasant imo. I have both the spray and the wipes and both work well for me.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Mix rubbing alcohol-water-essential lavender oil (or tea tree oil or...) in a spray bottle (30-50% alcohol, the rest, water, oil--enough to scent the mixture to desired amount). Spray it on SS, granite, etc., and wipe with a microfiber cloth (or paper towel). If you avoid using oil based cleaners/polishes on SS, you can usually achieve nice results with the alcohol-water spray, and can spot clean as well (which is usually tough with oily products).

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

WD-40 or Pledge

• kaseki
    9 years ago

Didn't the manufacturers include instructions for cleaning their products?

kas

• friedajune
    9 years ago

Macherie75 and Tibbrix - WD-40 is flammable. OMG, do not use it on a stovetop or on a hood. And it's poisonous and should not be used around food. Check out WD-40's label below.

When I see people recommending WD-40 to clean stainless steel in the kitchen, I can't believe it. What in the heck is wrong with people? There are so many SS cleaners on the market, not to mention non-specialty cleaners that work just as well, but let's spray WD-40 instead? To anyone reading this thread, give a pass on the flammable, poisonous WD-40 in the kitchen, and try any of these: Stainless Steel Magic, Twinkle, Sheila Shine, Howard's Stainless Steel Cleaner, Wow EzFinish, and my favorite, a little dishwashing liquid on a microfiber cloth.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Microfiber cloth and some water. Add a little dish soap if the surface is really dirty. Cheap, easy, no build up, environmentally sound, and works great for my busy kitchen (two kids and a dog).

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

WD 40 smells horrendous! UGH! I agree with crl, just water and a microfiber cloth is all you need and if it's bad add a bit of dish liquid. Microfiber and water is the best window cleaner too, just go back over it with a dry microfiber cloth before it dries to shine it up.

• Jancy
    9 years ago

I use Stainless steel magic, twinkle, and also just use a little drop of dawn on damp microfiber cloth. All easy, smells fine and no streaks.

• Peri Winkle
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Water and baking soda. Use a soft cloth to rub with the grain until you can no longer see the streaks and . Dampen another soft cloth to remove the residue. Use a third, dry, soft cloth to dry it. Always rub with the grain.