Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bluestar Ignitors and Burners

Posted by MattNJ186 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 9:42

I have read the posts on the ignitor cost issue ($22 plus high shipping). Anyone find an alternative that works? None of the prior post had a painless solution. I have a bad ignitor and assuming they will fail again, so was looking for a cost effective alternative.

Also, I was considering increasing my 15K burner to 22K. It appears after extensive research, you cannot get the parts (burner and orifice) because Bluestar does not want consumers to perform this simple upgrade and want them to purchase the more expensive range. I have found the burner, but not the orifice. Was considering getting a .47 drill bit and doing myself. Has anyone done this before? I am sure the everything else on the orfice is the same but the only difference being the hole diameter. Comments/suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bluestar Ignitors and Burners

See this video from a past member on how he did his upgrade from 15k to 22k burners on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVMXNqCSBmo

Hope this helps with at least that question.

Phil

P.S. - Looks like GW decided to not allow HTML links any more in the posts, so I can't make that link work directly, sorry.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVMXNqCSBmo

o

i've searched and searched and couldn't find any cheaper ignitors. seems like bluestar has a lock on that item.

as for the switch out, i've done it myself. very easy. i got the parts (new burner head, gasket, orifice, and an included ignitor) from bluestar. you should call them and ask and/or demand it b/c right on their website's FAQ page, it says: "Additional 22,000 BTU burners may be added to any range in our RNB model at an additional cost. Our RCS and RPB models cannot have additional 22,000 BTU burners added."

so, if you have an RNB, you should be able to get the parts. if you have a different model, it appears that you may not be able to. i believe it has something to do with overloading the manifold...whatever that is.

o

Thanks.

I have the RCS model with the 3-15K burners and the simmer burner. It seems identical in regards to the functional parts from everything I have been able to research.

o

yea, the RCS probably is identical in most ways. but even if you drilled out your own .47 gauge in the orifice, you wouldn't be able to get to the 22K mark without having the burner head with the dual line of holes on each arm.

o

I think the OP has the 22k burner head? If so, that really is the key. The oriface I think is somewhat generic. I do believe that majovean said a garland oriface will work.

Keep us posted.

o

Also...are the burners for the 18 and 22 the same? I have 2 part numbers 729801 and 729804 respectively. However, on the 729801 on some sites it says 18/22kBTU leading me to believe it is the same part. So the difference is with the orifice.

o

exactly. the difference is only the in the orifice. otherwise, they're identical

o

What a hot topic! I too want to get a bluestar and am outraged by the antics this company is doing with the RNB/RCS price differential essentially over the burner ratings.

If you need one more confirmation, they flat-out stated in an email exchange that they would not sell the conversion kit to bring one burner to 18kBTU, as their older RCS model had by default. Price gouging at its finest.

As others more versed in these conversions stated, a 15k to 18 or 22 involves 3 things: the head, which has more holes, the brass nozzle (lower gauge number) and the manifold, which must mix more gas/air and is larger. There are online stores that apparently sell all the pieces for the conversion, but am not sure if they're worth.

o

I hear what you're saying. But companies routinely sell a lower and a higher end model. Just look at the two latest iPhones.

What I'd like to see, and what would make bluestar THE superior range, would be their reverting back to their original design for each burner, where on full power you could get 22k btu (or now 25k with the platinum model) and on the low end have it simmer on ALL burners the way the "dedicated" simmer burner does now.

They can achieve this by using 2 Venturi tubes to feed gas to each burner head. When you want to do a true simmer, on any burner, gas from one Venturi tube stops and the other tube only flows gas to the inner ring of the burner head.

It was the way they use to have it a very long time ago. But they've since changed to their current configuration.

o

From what I can tell, the manifold is identical. Which means all you need is the burner and orifice. You can get burners on the internet, but I have not seen the nozzle/orifice (which Bluestar will not see unless you provide your serial number from what others say). If you get the correct drill bit size on line, it may be doable with drilling.

From their parts manuals, these are the only part numbers for manifolds:
Manifold 24” ��" 700207
Manifold 30” ��" 700203
Manifold 36” ��" 700202
Manifold 48” ��" 700201
Manifold 60” ��" 700205

o

Can't you get this right on their online store in the form of a NG conversion kit?

o

Can you post a link on where to get the burner heads? I wanna see if I can get the new 25k burner on the platinum model which has additional gas holes on the inside of the inner ring.

o

+1 for where to buy the burner head online. I have a friend with an rcs and we have been talking upgrading one head to 22k for some time now.

Gta, could you not drill out the few additional holes into your 22k burner?

I'm thinking of going a step beyond and drilling out a few more holes and a 30k oriface. What's the worst that could happen??? Lol.

o

i guess i could drill out new holes, but i don't have the equipment for that. i'm wondering if i did, though, would i somehow overload the manifold or some other part that regulates gas flow. i have a 36" six burner RNB, that i added a third 22K burner too, so the range pretty souped up already

o

I emailed them about the orifice because you cannot find them on their online store...they replied:

"We would require your model and serial number before we can sell you this part. Thanks"

Further confirms you CANNOT buy these orifices from an authorized seller without having an existing RNB.

http://www.guaranteedparts.com/

o

If you can get the burner head from that site, then just drill out a slightly larger hole in the brass orifice. It's really a minuscule difference in the aperture so just drill it to be the tiniest but larger

o

Matt - maybe I have a wrong mental image of what you're looking for, but if it's in this picture then it's readily available in their online store and I went all the way short of pulling the trigger without being asked for a serial number this morning.

o

It's hard to tell what gauge those four orifices are on the right hand side, but they're def the right part. At least with 4 of them, you have some room for error when drilling.

o

Well they're for a RNB30 so I'd imagine two are appropriately sized for 22K burners.

o

Yea. I'd think so. In that pic, the 4th orifice in front the right appears to have a slightly larger aperture than the others.

o

Has anyone been sucessfull in finding both the part numbers and a online supplier to go from the 15K burner to either the 18k or 22K burner upgrade. From what I understand the 18K & 22K burner is the same, it's just the orifice is different,

o

Yes, the difference between the 18k and 22k is the brass vent hole, which defines how much gas is let into the burner.

The online places that sell the high-power burners do require an RNB serial number to complete the transaction. I'm in the process of convincing myself that 15k in an open burner is enough for my cooking :-)

o

Thanks for the reply gigelus;

Going from a 15k burner to a 18K maybe not be enought to justify the purchase but I believe going to a 22K would be since after all it can be brought down to 18K.
I did more research and found some part number but still can't find an online supplier at a reasonable price. There has to be someone that has been sucessfull without needing serial numbers?

18k burner head - part number: 729801
1.25mm orifice - part number: 709512
Venturi Gasket - part number 734301

o

i think the work-around here is to buy the 18/22K burner head (which is the same thing) from that guranteedparts online distributer (i think it's going for something like $295). and then buy that conversion kit that foodonastump posted about (for about $79). then do the switch out.

i got the required parts directly from bluestar for less than the total cost above. but that's only b/c i "qualified" for it b/c i had an RNB. if there's no other choice, then the above pricing isn't so bad.

o

Hello gtadross, thanks for the reply.

I'm in the process of deciding on the Costco Bluestar and was searching the cost to switch over two burners. $374.00 plus any other fees seems a bit high to increase the btu's on one burner, multiply that by two and it's enough to have me continue the search for a lower cost alternative.

o

yea, i guess they do it that way on purpose to steer you toward their higher-end product.

i have the RNB, and it's great. just know, though, that the 15K burners aren't that powerful at all. so if you want this range, you really have to get the RNB or pay out of pocket for the upgrade.

i wish i could get all 6 burners with the 22K's, but alas, that topic has been beaten to death.

o

gtadross,

If you have the RNB then you have the serial number that BlueStar wants in order to sell you the 3 items including gasket from Bluestar which I believe should be less costly then ordering it from "guaranteedparts online".

EDIT:

It looks as though guaranteed parts now sells the BlueStar-18K/22K BURNER HEAD
Code: BS-729801
SKU: Price: $195.00

for $195.00

EDIT:

I just found another site 'Every Appliance Part" that has it for $89.92 but it states "Not Available".

This post was edited by Renosarefun on Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 13:25

o

Beating the dead horse, I checked with guaranteedparts and this is what they had to say: "We cannot provide you with an upgrade 18/22k burner for this model range without a serial number."

Which means that if you have an RCS, they won't sell the upgrade to you, same spiel as Bluestar themselves.

o

To clarify the parts needed (for natural gas):

Upgrade to 22K:
Burner 929804
Orifice 709547
Gasket 734301

Upgrade to 18K:
Burner 929801
Orifice 709548
Gasket 734301

o

I've been really trying to get the 22k on my RCS.

If anyone is willing to help. I will compensate :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here