Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refigerator and Freezer: two separate units?

Posted by hmizia (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 9:18

Hello GardenWeb users!

I'm researching appliances right now for my new kitchen, and am vacillating between one larger refrigerator/freezer combo, and two separate standing units next to each other. I went to a show room recently and felt that getting two units was cost prohibitive, but after looking at other places, like Sears, I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about it. Either way, I'm hoping to stay around $2,000 and under.

My needs in these units: large veggie storage capacity in the fridge, on top of feeding a family of four with two growing kids (and soon enough, their friends), and the ability to store a tall bottle or two. Large freezer capacity for things like homemade broth, tomato sauce, frozen fruit and veg. I have a chest freezer for large quantities of meat, but would like a shelf in the kitchen freezer for this as well.

So what do you think? Could I get two separate units that stand next to each other for more capacity at the price I want with solid performance, or is a combined unit going to be better? Space for the unit(s) isn't so much of an issue, as the kitchen is still being designed. Thanks for your thoughts and brand recommendations!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refigerator and Freezer: two separate units?

With your budget, you're in budget to mid range refrigerator/freezer combo territory. The cheapest separate units are the Frigidaire, and they're about $1500 each on sale, and require around 70" of space by the time you add the surrounds. Even with someone with a more robust budget may not be able to afford the space needed to design them into a regular sized kitchen and not overwhelm it.

Your best bet is to look at overall capacity, and get a French door model, as it has more shelf capacity. The Korean brands get good ratings and tend to have larger capacity models. With Black Friday coming up, you might find a deal on a discontinued model for around your budget. But, you also want to plan for an auxiliary refrigerator and possibly separated freezer in a laundry room or pantry. We've got both, and use both, together with the standard sized fridge in the kitchen. And we're just two old farts who like to freeze garden produce and buy meat from a local farmer who butchers what he raises.

o
RE: Refigerator and Freezer: two separate units?

Can the Electrolux Icon all refrigerator be opened from left or right side ie the handles are interchangeable?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here