Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueberryisland_gw

undercounter ice machine

blueberryisland
13 years ago

I would love to hear opinions on undercounter ice machines.

My request relates to our brand new French door GE refrigerator, which I love, but the ice is so hard to get to (we did not get the external dispenser). The refrigerator is the double freezer drawer one, and that ice is darn low! So, I am considering an undercounter ice machine, but read that they are actually refrigerators which constantly make ice, and are noisy --? They are expensive, so sure don't want to purchase unless I know more. Any of you wonderful knowledgeable kitchen gurus out there know about these things, or own one? Thank you so much!

Comments (97)

• lee676
    12 years ago

When a gravity-fed drain isn't available, you can order an undercounter ice machine with a drain pump, witch will either be a distinct model number of the ice machine that includes a built-in drain water pump, or a separate accessory for the standard ice machine, depending on manufacturer.

• betterbar
    12 years ago

Thanks... I really appreciate all this info. Can a drain pump feed into the drain of an existing sink which is next to the ice machine? I had heard that the connection needs to have an "air gap"... not sure how it would connect to a drain pipe under a sink and still have an "air gap".

One picture I saw showed the drain line from the pump going up and then bending down so it joins the sink's drain line on a downward trajectory... is that sufficient or how it is done? Just don't want to order it and find I can't install it. I really appreciate all the help.

Also, how often is the pump running? Does it only run intermittently for a few seconds once the melted ice fills the container (kind of like a sump pump?). Or is it continuously whirring?

• rgillman
    12 years ago

Air gap? What is that? My ice maker is in the island. It has a pump which feeds the water into the sink drain halfway across the room. No problem. It runs intermittently, yes. In my Monogram ice maker, it is much quieter than the previous KA (do NOT buy any icemaker made by Whirlpool) and runs only when the ice melts and falls into the thingie that gets emptied.
    Lovely little cubes and so far (knock wood) no problems..

• Nicole
    10 years ago

So, do any if the clear ice makers (15" undercounter) retain the made ice, or do they all just let it melt and make more? I'm in So. Cal, so this is important (water restrictions).

Our Scotsman is not worth fixing, according to the Scotsman authorized repair man. He told me that ice machines only last about 10 years or so...

• xedos
    10 years ago

Nikki - this is a good read if you are in the market for an ice machine. Your answer is a few replies above your question.

• martinkk333
    10 years ago

Nikki - I recently purchased a Uline BI2115S00 ice machine that makes the crescent ice and stores it in the machine until the ice is used. I Love It! This thing really churns out some ice too. And not too noisy unless it's dumping and that only lasts a second.

My dilemma - DH hates it. He is okay with it all week but dislikes it for his beer on Saturday night. He says it makes the beer foam too much. Since we are doing the kitchen right now, he wants me to move it into the kitchen and buy a clear ice for the game room. Ugh! I thought this was done! But I guess I've now got to start looking at the Manitowac with pumps.

• Nicole
    10 years ago

FYI, I just found a helpful website on choosing an ice machine. It is actually under the Ice Machines Plus website, but compares different brands and ice types:

http://www.icemachinesplus.com/ice-machine-buying-guide
    hope it helps in this delima!

• Nicole
    10 years ago

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Manitowac SM50a and SM50? Perhaps the "a" is a newer model?
    Also, I can't find anything that specifically says this machine produces CLEAR ice...

• lee676
    10 years ago

I've used a Manitowoc SM50 and it definitely produces clear ice. Very nice, multifaceted clear ice. Not sure what the difference is between the SM50 and SM50a is; their website shows only the SM50 as a current model; a search for SM50A brings up a spec sheet that still categorizes it as an SM50.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manitowoc SM50

• Nicole
    10 years ago

I am going to answer my own question. I just learned that the "a" refers to "air cooled". Makes sense to me.

• KelinMD
    10 years ago

My KD and an independent appliance store told me if I got an ice machine I'd better get to know a plumber/repairman, bc they fail constantly. Also said to make sure cabinet is all-ply b/c it isn't a matter of IF they will fail it is WHEN. It is such a tempting idea, but it's one of those things that unless you entertain quite a bit, quite regularly, it might not be worth the expense and trouble if it breaks down. But nothing beats those smooth little cubes. :)

• Nicole
    10 years ago

I agree. Our solution is that we put the machine on an "on/off" light switch. So if we are having a dinner or party I will turn it on the day before. It is, technically, another refrigerator, and they use a lot of energy.

• Hops143
    10 years ago

Hi. We just bought a Sub Z for $200 off of Craigslist from a company that cleans out offices etc. It is the older model (UC315i) with the drain pump. Hooked it up in the basement to test and it began leaking from underneath very soon afterwards. took the panels off and realized that the pump inlet had come off during transport and was just draining onto the floor...hooked that back up and tried again, with the drain hose in a cooler. After 30 minutes or so we had our first slightly white, misshaped ice cube, and a couple of inches of water in the cooler. six hours later we had filled the cooler with water and had about a pound of ice. Part of me thinks that the ice is melting quickly because the ambient temp in the reservoir is 70 f or so, but it still seems like an awful amount of drain water...any ideas what may be causing this? It IS making ice, just not a lot...

• egkor
    10 years ago

Hops143,

The drain water is from the clear ice melting. Sounds like the ice is melting pretty quickly.

• moelarrycurly
    10 years ago

What is the general preference? Ice cubes or nugget ice? My wife heavily prefers the nugget ice. Which under-counter machines make the best nugget ice?

• Nicole
    10 years ago

It's really preference. People who like to eat ice want flakes. The "gourmet" ice (clear and tasteless) is typically for bar drinks. It will not impart a taste and also melts much slower so drinks don't get watered down. Hope that helps!

• moelarrycurly
    10 years ago

Don't know if I have tried the "flakes" OR the "clear" ice. I must be out of the loop. :o)

• sal35
    10 years ago

We have a GE Monogram under counter ice maker; bought it in 2008, broke in 2012. It is one that has a drain and was very noisy when it was working. Another thing I found was that it was very hard to keep the water tubes clean. Soon after we started using the machine, I looked at the clear tubes and they had a greenish brown look to them. (Has anyone else noticed this with their machine?) I tried cleaning the machine a couple times using the recommended solution, but the tubes still looked gross. I could remove one of the tubes to clean it (using a baby bottle brush). I couldnâÂÂt get to the other so I asked a repairman -he would have had to take the machine apart. (His off-the-record suggestion was to use a little bleach.)
    IâÂÂm thinking of replacing it with the Uline BI2115B model. The Uline model doesnâÂÂt need a drain. I think it should be quieter, more efficient, and cleaner. (The ice is held in a freezer compartment instead of a cooler like the GE model.)
    Does anyone have any knowledge of the Uline model or any recommendations for a different brand of this type of ice maker? Thanks!

• johnsugar57
    8 years ago

I purchased a Hoshizaki AM 50BAE undercounted clear ice machine. I did as much research as possible first but wanted reliable constant fresh ice available made from city water ran through a reverse osmosis (RO) system. Using the extra refrigerators we have for extra ice, would have us and guests going too far to find ice plus we would have to install a RO system for each refrigerator. We are delighted to have the ice machine. We have a gravity drain so there is no worry about that issue. The RO system I hear really helps the reliability of the machine in addition to better tasting and more clear ice. It does make a fair amount of noise. The noise is not so much the ice dropping or the water draining but the near constant fan which exhausts out the front bottom of the unit. In an otherwise quite kitchen it's something to get used to. When company is over or music is playing we don't hear it at all. Having the ice machine is definitely a luxury.

• Austin B
    8 years ago

I am a big fan of the clear ice. It is amazing in drinks as it does not "flavor" the drink because the impurities are not there. It is also cool that you can basically free pour a soda and it will not overflow (not sure of the physics here). My SZ clear ice maker was my favorite appliance in my last kitchen and I will get another one in my next kitchen. The last time I bought a unit from a appliance store and installed it. It broke in a month and I called SZ for service, only to find out it was 10 years old when I bought it (but it had always been a display unit). SZ had to think about how to handle it as they have a 12 year warranty, but in the end they fixed it and agreed to handle the warranty as it was. Not bad considering I only paid $1500 for it. I lived in that house for another 4 years or so and never had ANY issues with that appliance (and I never "maintained" it either). I had the gravity drain (which I will definitely do again) and I also had a whole house water filter installed as part of my kitchen redo (which I will also do again). I thought about going to Manitowoc (who makes the SZ ice maker), but their warranty is not the same and I am sure service is fun to find even though I live in the Washington DC area. I have been looking at the Scottsman also, but I already have a SZ fridge and believe that the warranty of the Scottsman is not nearly as good as that for the SZ, which is important when I am spending that much money for ice.

• plllog
    8 years ago

The RO system can make better tasting ice, but clear or not is about air bubbles not impurities.

• johnsugar57
    8 years ago

In my refrigerator, installing an RO actually made the ice much more clear. Not sure why.

• johnsugar57
    8 years ago

The Marvel 15" clear ice machine is advertised as being quiet. Clear 3/4 cubes.

• Austin B
    8 years ago

I was taking one more look at the current Sub Zero Ice Machine, and I don't see where it ever says it is a clear ice machine?? It notes that it uses "filtration" to reduce odor and impurities. My old one did not have a filter at all and was terrific. This also says that it has "octagonal" ice cubes. Is this a true clear ice machine?

Thanks,

Austin

• Arl Tile
    8 years ago

Austin, I have this ice machine, the new sub zero made by Manitowoc, in my house and I can confirm it is a true clear ice machine. Let me know if you have any questions, happy to give you my opinions on this machine, I've had it since August.

• islandkeysgirl
    8 years ago

I would appreciate some help with my U-Line standing ice machine maker. I have one on my boat and I love it but the tube that puts the water in the tray to make the ice has come loose and I can't reach it. Is there any easy way to get to it without taking off the assembly? Thanks for any help you can give me.

• alwayscold
    7 years ago

Has anyone purchased a True Residential brand one? It was released over a year ago and is energy star rated. Can't find the price so guessing it is hefty. Like the idea of energy star rated for the increase energy expense owning one brings.

• Grant W
    7 years ago

I am looking for someone who has insight into sound level comparison. I don't know why they don't publish dB ratings like dishwashers so we could have quantifiable numbers. Regadless, I started with a KA undercounter that required tons of maintenance (initially due to my not knowing how hard our water was and cleaning requirements). I was intrigued by the "sonic" ice offered by the Hoshizaki C100 unit and decided to go that route when replacing. We have polished concrete floors in our kitchen, so the extra noise of the compressor fan and auger are very noticeable compared to the KA (not very quiet, either). This is especially the case since it is only a few feet from our dining table and echoes into to the living room. We would shut the unit off when in kitchen or living room to deal with noise. However, with a filtration system and regular cleaning, the gear motor seized at about 28 months - I think I got a lemon. $1800 repair is not going to happen ($1200 DIY). So, I am wanting to go to a quieter unit. I have decided to go to top hat ice to eliminate auger noise and have less watered down drinks.

I know the SZ UC-15i is the quietest I have ever heard, but it is about $1100 more than others I am considering and would require cabinet modification, as the cabinet was built around Hoshizaki (ADA model). The Hoshizaki AM-50 would fit with no modification as well as the new Perlick H50, however I have not been able to locate an operational unit to listen to noise level. The Scotsman SCCG50 is priced similar to AM-50, but would require cabinet modification. The same applies to Manitowoc SM-50. I don't require drain pump, so that is not a factor in sound. Again, I know ice makers make sound, but the SZ model referenced is the quietest I have heard (maybe not even as loud as compressor on my SZ fridge). Any one who can compare it to any of those I mentioned, I would appreciate your insight. I am willing to pay the $1100 and modify cabinet, but only if I can verify / justify noise difference.

• Arl Tile
    7 years ago

The Manitowoc should be identical noise to the SZ UC-15i as the are the same model with very minor cosmetic differences. I have the SZ and love it.

• lnhardin
    7 years ago

We have a Kitchen Aid undercounted ice machine. It's about five years old and has never had a problem. Drain, motor and water are reasonably quiet. Not silent, but not anything you notice after you've had it awhile.

that being said, what is noisy, VERY noisy is the ice dropping into the bin. It sounds like someone is throwing rocks against the side of the house. A couple of times I thought someone was trying to break in, the sound was that loud. It is at the end of the kitchen where there is a short hall leading to the bedrooms. I have to shut the bedroom doors to get any sleep. We have an open kitchen and if anyone wants to grab a nap in the family room they have to turn the ice machine off. It makes more noise than the fridge or the dishwashers. If I had to do it again I would never have that ice machine in that end of the house. I would put it way down the other end where hubby has his office.(he wanted the ice).

• Grant W
    7 years ago

@Arl Tile, thank you. What, if any, did you have before SZ to compare? I would assume that also means you can also use Manitowoc filter (I think about $20 cheaper)? Also, does it work with filter out or would I just have to leave one in - don't know if two inline mess with pressure? I have a nice everpure system that may do a better job.

• Arl Tile
    7 years ago

Yes, you can use the Manitowoc filter as well as the cleaner and sanitizer (no need to pay SZ markup). I don't know if a filter is required for the unit to operate. I do know that you don't need to turn it off or anything, you can just remove the filter and put a new one in. No need to shut off water, valves, etc. So I'm guessing the unit shuts off automatically when the filter is taken out but have no idea if there is a built in bypass valve that lets the machine keep working. I'd call Manitowoc or SZ to confirm.

As for previous ice machines, this is my first, so can't help you with noise comparison unfortunately.

• Arl Tile
    7 years ago

I checked my users manual and it says it has a bypass feature so the incoming water does not need to be turned off when the filter is removed. Looks like the filter is optional.

• Grant W
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thank you. I can't really see a difference in the SZ vs Manitowoc, other than door assembly/front inside panel and $1100-1200. However, I did see that one says 1-1/4" ice and the other says 1-3/8". I am guessing that is an anomaly in how the measure. Did you go with SZ because of matching other appliances? Or were you unaware that they were virtually identical.

• Arl Tile
    7 years ago

It must be some sort of typo as it's the same machine. I believe SZ has a slightly longer warranty as well. The in door ice scoop holder is a nice touch too. I was matching other SZ appliances and got a good price so my situation was unique, but honestly I'd do the Manitowoc if I was paying out of pocket for a new one. Hope this helps you decide.

• Arl Tile
    7 years ago

OK, one more update. I have been cleaning my machine every 6 months and after taking it apart for the deep cleaning, I found a ton of mold on many of the tubes. I'm guessing the machine needs to be cleaned more like every 2 or maybe 3 months maximum. And then also deep cleaned every 6-9 months. Water is city water, clean, and the filter is changed on the ice machine every 6 months. Just wanted to pass this along as everything in the ice machine that is visible was sparkling clean and I was shocked to find so much mold in a unit that's less than 2 years old and cleaned regularly per the maintenance schedule. Ice machines apparently require very regular cleaning.

• plllog
    7 years ago

Was it mold or algae? Or whatever that green stuff that grows in water coolers is. My understanding is that that stuff is a hit or miss kind of thing to have grow but once it starts to grow it keeps growing.

• Arl Tile
    7 years ago

I'm 99% positive it was mold, it was black. I will attach a photo here of the worst piece, the one with the most mold, which is the flexible plastic tube from the water pump to the spray bar (water supply tube). Funny enough, even the drain tubing was less moldy/slimy that the supply tube.

• Chris Phillips
    5 years ago
    I am looking for an undercounter ice maker for my apartment in Brooklyn. We currently have an Electrolux machine that worked for about three years and now failed completely. I missed that it is basically not made to work in spaces without air conditioning. It would stop working on the warmest days - when we most wanted ice.

Does anyone have advice on criteria to look for? The Electrolux machine was quiet which was great. The ice it made was not that thick and it melted quickly.

I have to have an under counter ice maker rather than in-freezer because of the configuration of our space and Co-op rules about where water lines can run.
  • Arl Tile
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

What's your budget? What Electrolux model did you have, was it a clear ice machine? As far as noise, all clear ice machines are loud from the ice dropping.

• Chris Phillips
    5 years ago
    Hi, I was thinking of a budget somewhere around $2,000 - but I don’t want to waste money. Willing to pay for something that will work and last without much hassle which seems like isn’t always possible in ice makers.

I am not particular about what type of ice, so that seems like a way to keep the price down. I am interested in less noise since we live in a small place.

I am not sure the Electrolux model. I believe it was the only under counter ice machine they sold back 5 or so years ago.
  • Arl Tile
    5 years ago

Any clear ice machine needs cleaning every 3-6 months (pouring in the cleaner and running a clean cycle) and maintenance (partial disassembly) every year, just the way it is since they are not "refrigerated or freezers". The ice melts constantly so bacteria/slime will always form, unlike an ice maker in a freezer.

The Manitowoc SM50 is good, maybe $1,500 (Subzero OEMs it for $3,500), probably best bang for the buck. If you want panel ready, cool LED lighting, and bulletproof, the True ice machine is $3,200 or so and looks awesome. Check if you have a floor drain or if you need a machine with a pump for sure, and of course get the proper right or left hinge.

• Geo Benson
    5 years ago

I have the Monogram and can confirm the issue with the mold in the tubing too and it seems like black mold and flakes of green calcium like you see on copper. It reminded me of the clear 1/4” irrigation lines you can buy for aquariums and such. I had clear piping for some plants on the deck and they would clog with calcium build up. I switched to the black 1/4 inch tubing and the problem went away.

I wonder if replacing the piping in the GE Monogram with black tubing would solve the issue. It seems like light contributes to the growth with my experience with clear tubing in irrigation. Does the little bit of light the ice maker gets cause the issue? I am not sure, but I may try black piping the next time I clean it.

The half inch stuff they sell at Lowe’s should work and I may put some 90 degree elbows in with the connections to help out with the length of the piping. I know the ignorance is bliss will come in to play at least with the black piping.

I wonder if bleach will work work any better than the phosphoric acid cleaner to clean the pipes? May give that a try before the phosphoric cleaning

The GE Monogram is loud. The water valve is just plain old loud. Not sure why a water valve has to be loud!

i was think of putting a carpet remnant underneath, and cutting a big piece of styrofoam to put beneath the door. Heat displacement versus sound will be the battle.

• les0862
    3 years ago

Has anyone else tried the sound proofing mats? We just purchased the SZ UC 151 & returned it, due to noise level & b/c the machine ran constantly. Definitely, not the quietest model, as we were told by the dealer.

We are going to try the newer Scotsman model SCCP50, designed for indoor outdoor use, as recommended by the Scotsman rep. We have had Scotsman before (SCCP30) & liked it. He said that SCCP50 model is equipped with insulation & may help with noise level. However, we are planning to try adding the sound proofing mat as well, since our living space is open concept & is distracting.

• Arl Tile
    3 years ago

Not aware of any ice machine that doesn't run frequently as the ice is constantly melting.

• Nicole
    3 years ago

Honestly I turn mine off for a few hours in the evening when watching tv.

• Arl Tile
    3 years ago

we do the same sometimes, the machine has a delay button, 2, 4 or 6 hours i believe

• alwayscold
    3 years ago

@les0862 what are the sound proofing mats? We put ours in the laundry because of the noise and the house we are remodeling will have it in the island close to the living area....sound proofing is something we need to consideR, and reading that others had machines with a delay sounds ideal too.

• pickledbeads
    3 years ago

We just installed the Uline nugget ice machine and it is SO LOUD! Makes great ice but it has an almost constant loud whirring noise. No sound from the tiny cubes dropping into the bin - but it is louder than an old low quality dishwater running. Looking into returning it :(