Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diplodicus_gw

Rangecookers side by side??

Diplodicus
12 years ago

Am I mad? I am thinking of putting two rangecookers (36 inches each in width) side by side to get the configuration I want. Have I gone bonkers or could this work?

Dippy

Comments (11)

• buffalotina
    12 years ago

Dippy, What units are you currently favoring? I am following your search! I saw a magazine article over here in the US where someone had put two regular 30" ranges next to each other. That looked fine! The only thing that looked a bit off was that they were the type that had a raised back with the controls on it. I think this arrangement would be more sleek without a raised backguard. To see how it would look you could mock it up in photoshop! Do take care that your ventilation hood would be big enough to cover both - that would be some hood.

Good luck!

• idrive65
    12 years ago

I also saw that in a magazine a while back, but this person used two Vikings if I recall.

There was a thread a while back on this topic. You would need to have two electrical and gas lines for two ranges, plus a large and powerful ventilation system.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old thread about two ranges

• weissman
    12 years ago

Some manufacturers make 60" ranges - might be a better choice.

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

Sabjimata used two ranges side by side under one hood. Here's a link to her finished kitchen details. You will have to scroll for a photo of the ranges together under a single Broan hood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sabjimata's completed kitchen

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

And from House Beautiful.

I know they showed at least one other with multiple side by side ranges. It was a navy blue kitchen, with what I thought was a hazardous layout, but very pretty. You might try looking for information on the magazine's website. I cannot recall whether ventilation issues were mentioned.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thermador?

• plllog
    12 years ago

There's also the one Johnliu posted in Kitchens that belongs to a friend. It has a Wolf commercial range and an old Wedgewood range, each with its own location and hood, rather than side by side. :)

Why not? It has been done. And it's often less expensive than a single, aircraft carrier sized range, much easier to move and get through doors, and provides a backup if one goes on the fritz.

BUT...do you have a use for a dozen burners? Or can you get them configured with different components such as a wok burner, grill, griddle, French top, etc., and a more normal number of burners, the way you can do with an aircraft carrier sized range? Because if it's just for the oven, you might be a lot better off getting the one range and a wall oven.

If it's to get both gas and induction, which I think you were talking about before, yes, it would be weird to have something like an Electrolux induction next to an AGA legacy (I forget what it's called where you are) or Lacanche. You could may it work stylistically, but you'd have to do some mighty fancy tap dancing with your decor. :) You could separate them, though, like in the linked picture.

Hm...I seem to remember something about Lacanche having an induction module for their European units. If you meant two matching Lacanches side by side, one with gas and one with induction, that would look fine. :)

• Diplodicus
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh my god but you are all so helpful. Im going to spend hours going through the pics and info!!!! (my idea of a good time!!). Thank you.

Dippy

• cassity
    12 years ago

A single hood is a must but what would be really cool is if you could tie them together--they'd have to be the same brand of course--with one continuous backguard.

• Caddidaddy55
    12 years ago

Lacanche makes 5 different 180cm ranges available in the UK, or can you not find one with the configuration you want? That would be the equivelent of two 36" ranges side by side.

• User
    12 years ago

Um, how many battalions are you cooking for? If you really need that much firepower to produce that much food, why aren't you putting in a real commercial kitchen?

• laranbrian
    12 years ago

Hi Dippy.

We ultimately went with a single 48" range vs putting together 2 30"'s or a 30" and 24". We decided it was too risky/asking for trouble by doing the dual range thing. I love the idea of having an induction unit next to a gas unit though...!