Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ausie123

Noisy external wall mounted kitchen exhaust fan

Ausie123
10 years ago

Our neighbour has remodelled their kitchen. Looks lovely but the end result has been that the exhaust fan is now ducted out of their house and this forms our boundary wall. Both the noise and odour impacts us on the ground level.
We may have found a solution to the odour problem as they are going to install a carbon filter. But I am at a loss as to how to reduce the noise.
Their house is a two-story terrace (as is ours) and we have investigated exterior fluing it but it can only go 2 metres and I suspect that will just shift the noise to our bedrooms upstairs.
We have also investigated a duct silencer but this will negate their rangehood warranty.
The only other thing I can think of is to build some sort of insulation box around the outlet. I don't think we could fully enclose it as thismight be a fire hazard. But some sort of structure (maybe two sides of a box) might help? I have not seen this done anywhere else. Just wondered what your suggestion is. Photos or weblinks of this kind of structure would be great. As would any other ideas

Comment (1)