Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babyraccoon_gw

Width of extractor fan for 90cm cooktop

babyraccoon
9 years ago

Hi all,
I'm going to have a 90cm wide induction cooktop in my new kitchen, and have thus far been thinking I should have an extractor that is wider than that. I'm looking for a concealed/visor extractor which would be most compatible for the look we're going for, as well as our low (2.3 metre) ceilings. However, there aren't many options that I'm loving.

One kitchen shop suggested this one, but it doesn't have any visor to catch cooking steam from the front, and the controls look quite unintuitive and fiddly:
http://elica.com/IT-it/prodotti/le-cappe/filo

What I'd really love to do is get the same one I'm currently living with in our temporary accommodation, but the largest width is 90cm:
http://www.gaggenau.com/gb/product/AH900?sourceCat=ventilation#product

Would it be such a bad idea to get a 90cm extractor for a 90cm cooktop? There will be cabinets on either side of the extractor that of course I'd like to protect.

Thanks for any feedback!

Comments (4)

• kaseki
    9 years ago

Elica seems to have established domain name blockers to force US viewers to the US website. Establishing a European proxy to view the first link is outside my appliance forum time allocation. The second link leads to a design that is stylish, but is an example of the extreme opposite of the type of hood design that I would argue for. (Search this forum for argument examples.)

However, what we don't know is very much about your cooking style, your cabinet layout, and other factors that might make your choices more, err, palatable.

Briefly, while capturing and containing moisture can be useful, grease removal is most important, and odor removal can be essential for many. Extraction requires first capture by the hood aperture, and containment by the baffles/filter in concert with the flow rate of the blower (extraction fan). It is important to recognize that the hood air flow rate (volume/unit time) does not suck up effluent from the cooktop, for the most part it assures that captured effluent is contained. Capture requires that the rising effluent to be contained be encompassed by an aperture or area of extraction air flow influence, which is close to the hood. Hence, ideally hoods should overlap the cooktop on all four sides, or if there are blockages on some sides, like walls or cabinets, the open sides.

Most efficient capture and containment is performed by hoods typical of commercial or restaurant hoods. Every design that compromises on these characteristics for the purpose of aesthetics or size should be expected to have reduced performance. As in many things, selection is a matter of determining the best trade-off among options for your personal needs.

Others here may be able to suggest alternatives to your candidates, and more information will help them.

kas

• babyraccoon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi kaseki,
    Thanks for your comments.

The Elica extractor is called Filo, and is the 120cm version.

The kitchen layout consists of an island housing the sink, with a worktop opposite housing the induction cooktop, with upper cabinets above. There will be about 90cm either side of the cooktop, and then two full-height units on each side. The extractor will be installed on a wall, in the centre of of the upper bank of cabinets. Getting it ducted out will require boxing it into the cabinets to the right, and as I said, our ceilings are relatively low (2.3 metres) which I believe (but could be incorrect) means that many more effective designs are not an option for us, as we won't be able to get the required height. Our countertops are going to be above-standard height, which will in turn raise the height requirement for the extractor.

As for cooking style, I never deep-fry, but would frequently sauté or cook things that produce a lot of steam.

I've not seen many industrial-grade options available over here (Ireland), so it's a matter of finding a domestic-grade appliance that will be good enough. Anything will be an improvement, as previously we had no extractor at all.

• lee676
    9 years ago

I've always matched extractor hood width to cooktop width, not sure why that should be a problem. If the cooktop is 90cm (about 36") a 90cm extractor should work. You can go wider with the extractor, not narrower.

• macherie75
    9 years ago

The advice I got is that the hood should be as wide as, or a little wider, than the cooktop/range.

I have a 42" (107 cm) hood over a 36" (90 cm) cooktop, and it seems to work very well.

Just my 2 cents.