Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lry511

Problem with Electrolux induction range

Lori Ryan
10 years ago

I purchased an Electrolux induction range 2 years ago and I must say I love it. However, two days ago I started to get an E 15 error code on the stovetop. I contacted Electrolux and went through their procedure of shutting it off at the breaker and turning it back on and it worked. However, this morning it did the same thing. There was nothing on the panel and no water whatsoever ever was on the stovetop. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do to resolve it. Thanks for your help

Comments (28)

• Sharonpage
    10 years ago

Looking at purchasing the Electrolux cooktop. Any new problems. What about other cooktops any problems. I want a good one no noise. Any problems with noise for Electrolux.

• jpalm1342
    8 years ago

I have the Electrolux induction range, it went out last night and it will be two weeks before they can come out and service it. RIDICIULOUS! Have not had it a year yet.

• 59 Dodge
    8 years ago

What does "went out" mean?

is the problem with the oven or the cooktop part of the range?

Not knowing the answer to the above, first thing I would try is turning off the circuit breaker to it (Most likely it has 2 breakers), so be sure to turn both off.

Leave off for 5 minutes, and then turn back on and see if your problem is solved.

Gary

• Randy McKnight
    7 years ago

Have the E 15 error as well on range that is off warranty. Spent $ 500 already and have same error 2 months later. Electrolux now advises to replace parts worth $1800

I am taking it to the landfill and buying another brand that is reliable....

• orourkeej9
    7 years ago

Randy, whatever you do don't get a Samsung. I had a Samsung induction range that was replaced under warranty FOUR times before it finally exploded the cooktop glass and went to the dump (after winning back the purchase price in small claims court). We have had the Electrolux now for about a year and a half and it has been flawless. Better design too.

I understand that the GE induction ranges are well thought of.

• lisapoi
    7 years ago

I had similar problems with my Electrolux range, as did my friend who bought hers on my recommendation. I would NEVER recommend this range (or slide-in....that's what my friend bought, though I bought the range).

• giselco
    6 years ago

I had the E15 error problem 2 months after the 50 months extended warranty had expired and 2 weeks after we had declined the offer to further extend the warranty. Thanks to information found on internet i ordered from Easy Appliance parts ( Canada) the ESEC-UIB (electronic surface element control user interface board) $200 can. + Taxes, much less in the USA. the part is made from Frigidaire and number is 316576452. It took some care to remove cover in front of the range as I had to force sideways the sheet metal that's part of the slide in mechanism.to get the cover out once all screws were removed. Replacement of the board was easy and fortunately it solved the problem. I would not have spend more to replace any other board or touch panel..I would have bought less complicated range and scraped the Electrolux.

• gumby4578
    6 years ago

I also have an E-15 code on my Electrolux Slide in Range and thanks to my serviceman went through the same crap from Electrolux Service ..he said he wasn't gonna be a parts monkey to the tech on phone . Have had this range since 2010 and it worked up till 1 month after warranty expired !! So now I'm turning the oven on and off from breakers EVERY time i need to use oven ! What a piece of garbage...oh and if i forget to turn it off ....IT REMINDS me with the E-15 tone !!!!!!!

• rdawkins16
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We have exactly the same position as giselco, 2 reviews above here. Bought slide in in 2011. Just after our extended warranty ran out got an E15 error message. Dealer would not budge on the warranty expiry. We have been living with the increasingly frequent E15 s for about 2 years, going through the usual tricks to accommodate the range. Finally it got so bad we decided to get servicing, but were not encouraged by the local Electrolux tech who basically has no diagnostic equipment to determine if a board ia actually faulty, but must guess and replace. He suggested replacing the UIB board first, so I am glad to see that worked for you. He did say, however, that not all the ranges were fixed by this and he had to replace other boards in some cases, as well as the touch panel in one. He estimated he had replaced 15 UIBs (user interface boards) in our area (city, population around 100,000) on this model range. He, of course is not the only tech, but is becoming the only one willing to touch Electrolux ranges because of their complexity.

If our tech's first guess is incorrect, he says he cannot take the board back but must guess which other board might be at fault and replace that, all at our expense, of course. Worst case (I have read of this happening) is that all the boards plus the touch panel will be replaced at a cost of roughly $1500 and the problem will not go away. You can imagine the anger at having spent a premium price for what should be a good product (I expect a range to last 20 years, minimum) only to have to spend another $1500 for the priviledge and then having to pay to have it hauled away.

In an Electrloux owner review the final queation was "Would you recommend this to a friend?" I said I wouldn't recommend it to an enemy.

Electrolux should long ago have investigated this problem, found the solution and offered a free retrofit of that solution to all owners. Class action lawsuits are made of this.

• Sylvain Plouffe
    5 years ago

Est ce qu'il y a encore des gens qui on le code erreur E 15 sur leurs cuisinière induction Electrolux ? Et si oui est ce que la compagnie a trouvé une solution, car au prix que l'appareil coûte on en veut plus . Vraiment déplaisant de vivre cela. La compagnie n'est pas

• rdawkins16
    5 years ago

Follow up to my previous review:

We had the UIB replaced at a not-so-bad cost and have had no problems since. Either Electrolux has modified the board so it is reliable now, or we haven't passed the critical time interval (50 weeks?) before the board malfunctions again, but so far—perfect!

• HU-167811003
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Our Electrolux Wave Induction was bought in 2014 and the cooktop lasted until March, 2019.

There was a "pop" and error codes 75 and 35 displayed.

I took the top apart and pulled the large filter board out which showed burn marks.

I took the board to an electronics repair shop that replaced two relays and installed a glass fuse where an inboard type fuse had burned. This fellow said the relays stick over time and this caused the fuse to blow.

I put everything back together. It started and again came the "pop".

Back to the drawing board. I think I should have checked for voltage drop at the board before closing the top up.

Local appliance repairman wanted to replace the entire three board assembly which costs $1,365 Canadian. Hiring repairs could easily top $2000.

I so far have $107 ($80 labour + parts & tax) plus my own time without the problem solved,

but willing to explore more.

This stove is not worth the premium initial purchase price!

• Jakkom Katsu
    5 years ago

What a bummer! Thank you for reporting back. Followup is always helpful. I've had board problems with our 2009 gas range, so I totally understand. On our third board and now avoid using self-clean which apparently fries the boards in almost all stoves, sigh.

• kaseki
    5 years ago

My Electrolux of winter 2007/2008 vintage failed with a pop around the obligatory 5 years, as I recall. The power supply board, upon which Electrolux decided to use a circuit trace as a fuse (under an empty fuse holder) had failed. However, service tried replacing it but the new one failed the same. (This is easy to fix by just putting an appropriate fuse in the fuse holder, but is not the underlying problem.)

The underlying problem lies in the board that generates the induction frequency or its associated power FETs, mounted to a heat sink. I never got to searching out the actual failed part. Instead, I decided the quick and loss-cutting solution was the Gallery Frigidaire unit. This induction cooktop had equal or better specs, fit in the same cutout, and cost less.

I also concluded that unless these highly stressed units are built with mil-spec reliability analysis for long lifetime, they have to be assumed to have a finite lifetime. (My Frigidaire is now about 5 years old now, so I'm not going to expect another 5 years.) My view is that these devices should be treated as rental units, and assuming an extended warranty to 5 years, have a monthly cost of the purchase plus rental cost divided by 60. This can be reduced with a further warranty extension. Time without failure after the extended warranty period is a bonus. Upon failure, it is time to find out what will fit the hole in the stone counter.

• 59 Dodge
    5 years ago

"Careful"!!! kaseki, My Electrolux induction cooktop, (circa 2006), continues to work with nary a "hiccup"! It still looks like new too.

In fact none of my Electrolux appliances, have ever needed service since I bought them back in 2006. That includes the cooktop, The Electrolux Icon Oven, the wine fridge and even the speed oven, yep the magnetron has never blown and we use the speed oven a lot, mostly for "Nuking".

My beloved Jenn-air fridge died after 11 years, (really was due to incompetent service), anyway it was replaced with a Sub Zero built in fridge, and Yep, we luv it!

Our rarely used Miele dishwasher has had one repair, to replace the inlet valve, around $300 or so, part & labor, alto it really cost of nothing~~~~SZ never cashed the check.

Anyway good to hear from You again kaseki, sorry to hear about your problems, but I wish you my kind of luck in the future, (at least the luck with Electrolux).

• kaseki
    5 years ago

I look forward to the type of aging with grace that my two sixties era Electrolux canister vacuums have demonstrated, but I think that is asking too much for what an induction cooktop has to endure. Thank you for your support.

• venmar
    5 years ago
    1. 59 Dodge, nice to hear from you again, I have missed your comments. My Electrolux induction range has been working fine these past 4 years since a repair needed because of a power company caused line short. Luckily my extended warranty was still in effect.
  • 59 Dodge
    5 years ago

Thanks for the post, venmar. Not had much to post about, as everything is working great, and I have not studied or kept up with the latest appliance info.

I did do some studying up on Induction ranges, about a year ago, as my next door neighbor was going to buy an electric range, with ceramic (conventional) top.

I told them, "Been there, done that", You won't like cleaning it or how slow it heats up and cools back down. I showed them my electrolux induction cooktop and did the "magic show" with the paper towels.

Long story short, I recommended they buy the Bosch induction range, they did and they love it , (although they like the way my Electrolux controls are brighter than the Bosch.

Gary

• rdawkins16
    5 years ago

It seems like Bosch is no more the answer than ELectrolux. Really, if two huge enterprises like these cannot supply a functioning device to the market, maybe the technology is simply not yet ready for prime time. Moreover, even the relatively conventional ovens both of the Bosch and the Electrolux function in an inferior manner, if time taken to come up to temperature matters, since they both take double the time of cheaper ovens with exposed (horrors!) heating elements.

I wonder how the much cheaper IKEA stove top compares.

• kaseki
    5 years ago

To be fair, rdawkins16, both provide functioning appliances. These appliances last for a few to several years. But their designers, who are likely capable of designing for decades of service, are constrained by competitive cost and saleable physical size below the cooking surface. The latter limits cooling performance and size of the major power components, while the former limits component count for reducing stress on individual components. Further, competitive forces lead to feature creep, and this is the enemy of long term life testing.

Even mil-spec electronics have finite predicted life-times, usually of mere thousands of hours, and their environments and power feeds have defined tolerances. In a residence where the thermal environment above or below the cooktop may vary more than expected, or the power feed may have extreme transients due to lightening or high voltage line contact somewhere in the region, design conditions may be exceeded without it being obvious, even to the appliance owner. Complexity results in costs, and one of those costs is reduced mean time to failure.

I think the safety, convenience, and performance of induction is worth these costs, but overall, the perceived advantage to the population at large is measured by their willingness to commit the price asked to acquiring the technology. By that measure, induction is fairly successful.

• doris_butters
    4 years ago

I purchased my electrolux slide in induction range in late 2014 and had it installed spring of 2015 when I renovated my kitchen. I live alone and do not use the oven often so it takes awhile before I feel the necessity to clean it. I put it on self clean over Christmas 2017/18 and before it completed the cycle, the unit showed error F15. The oven light came on,

the door remained locked and the only thing that still functioned was the cooktop. My bill was over$1000 Canadian as I had to replace the control and relay boards. Electrolux recommended 3 service companies in my area. I mistakenly thought the problem was fixed. I set my oven on self clean New Years day AND THE SAME THING HAPPENED AGAIN. Error F15 oven door locked and light remains on. After contacting Electrolux, and

explaining that there must be a design flaw for this to happen again and that I can not afford to repair every time I clean my oven, they recommended that I purchase an extended warranty. Oh, and they offered 25% off the parts.

if you own this oven do not put it on self clean without a warranty! And certainly

DO NOT BUY THIS RANGE

D.B in Toronto

• rdawkins16
    4 years ago

Well explained, kaseki, but I stand by what I wrote on April 4th. Complexity at the expense of durability and reliability is not an advance, it is the road to chaos. Simplicity is a strong virtue in my books. Expensive and bulky (think landfill) items should be designed to last a lifetime or two, or three if at all feasible. This requires repairability and flies in the face of profitability, except for the consumer...

• Trev Friesen
    2 years ago

I have this range also E15 appears randomly. It seems related to heat. If I use only the stove top...no issue.Use the oven ....during cool down ...E15 appears. I build and design electronics. This screams cold solder joint from this lead free crap. Yes less lead but more crap in our landfills. Maybe don't lick the circuit boards ? I will be one day pulling every pcb out and resoldering them....with lead. My guess no more E15.

• kaseki
    2 years ago

Do you suspect bad flow soldering, or just a bad hard connection to an off-board component.

It looks like 60/40 Ersin Multicore is now sold by Locktite. My spool from ca. 1960 hasn't quite run out yet.

• Trev Friesen
    2 years ago

Hi All ,

The GREEN harness.

I have been slow and methodical in the diagnosis of this problem. Usually once a design is in production, the testing has been done and the design and device are solid and ready for the wild.....they fail due to a bad part or connection.

My brother inlaw for years fixed TVs. He said use your five senses first. He would pop the back off and with a mirror on the wall. He would smell , look , listen and then start banging around the innards with the plastic handle while watching the mirror.....bang bang wait picture for a second....turn driver around push gently on circuit board...oh there picture. Look crap solder joint...fixed.

I took out the controller pcb...under a microscope inspected all soldering. Nothing looked bad....resoldered anyways....and NOPE still E15 ...grrrr.

I then carefully unplugged and cleaned each harness attached to the pcb. So removed washed in 99% Isopropyl...replaced and waited. This took about 2 weeks to clean replace and wait to see if fault returned. I did this because in my rat brain I thought the flaw in the design is these PCBs and all the crap interconnected, live just outside the oven door. We have all seen the alien snot that builds up on the kitchen fan...even the one way up on that high spot. I could feel same snot although lighter all over the assemblies under the touch pad. I guess the engineers thought the fan pushing air out to cool the coils would stop this and it sort of does .Open the door during a roast with water in the pan to keep smoke down and that huge blinding waft of steam ,smoke is more than the fan can keep at bay.

(ANSWER HERE)

The E15 fault kept returning ...until the weird GREEN cloth insulated harness was cleaned and replaced. I have not seen the fault since. This harness connects to the green connector then heads over to the left and connects to what looks like a power supply or power conditioning board...it has a couple big transformers on it.

Is this the ANSWER we have been seeking ...Clean and reinstall green colored harness ?

I build design and electronics for a living. 99% of the time something stops working it is bad solder joint or some other weak connection. The cable harnesses all could be prone to getting contaminated at the tiny little spot where the contact touches the pin.

With steamy smokey goodness spewing out from the oven . Just as we open the door the gap between the door seal and oven face is literally directing all the vapors and smoke into the cavity the electronics live. The fan in the oven in convection mode adds to the pressure coming from the gap....and does not stop pushing until the door is open far enough to activate the door/light switch. My guess is during design test and dev phase all the white coats kept the oven very clean. They needed to have few real world oily spills and other mishaps build up and maybe they would have caught this flaw. I think the goo build up is why the fault is so random. The other really stupid design flaw is how a stove spill can get into the backside on the oven door glass. What a pain to clean. Oh and the macros for common heat up cook rest....they don't even save to memory. This appliance is great if the goo build up issue was solved...the oven door mess issue could just be troughed over so it NEVER hits the glass and the macros could be saved to eeprom so even a power outage does not erase them. Firmware updates would be nice too....if there was a USB port...there is not.

I will close now my episode of war and peace of crap .I would like to thank Electrolux for completely not giving a crap about selling this at a premium and ignoring all of us out here.

• HU-489309847
    2 years ago

I've experienced the E-15 error code for 2-3 years now but recently had started happening more frequently. Of course I've read up on all the potential fixes and I decided to start with the cheapest effort and move up from there.

First I tried to scrape out any crud from underneath the control panel gasket and even pulled out the gasket completely and then reinstalled it but both would prove to have no effect or improvement. But when i pulled out the gasket I noticed that it was knicked up somewhat so I decided to order a new one online and expected delivery would take about one week.

Then the very next day after I placed the order for the new ($60!!) my wife was cooking up some bacon in the oven and in the process of removing the tray of cooked bacon from the oven and she proceeded to accidently spill a good cup of liquid bacon fat on the control panel. After much cursing and sopping up the grease well guess what, we have not had an E-15 error since and now it's been a week since I received the new gasket. Perhaps the fat provided the needed seal for the touch panel to operate properly?? I will not be changing it out as long as we don't encounter another error, it's been two weeks now since the spill... I will report back either way in another 2 weeks, or sooner if I get an error code!

• kaseki
    2 years ago

Love it. Thanks guys.