Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cabeachgal

Bosch FLEXinduction cooktop

CAbeachGal
9 years ago

Has anyone used this new Bosch flexduction or Bosch Flex-Induction cooktop yet? I believe from another post, it came out in Feb 2014. I've found all the posts on Garden Web MOST helpful�on Miele, Thermador, and Gaggenau stovetops. I've searched all the vendors, including Bosch itself, and have found ZERO reviews on this new model
: NITP666SUC

It is sold out at some appliance online vendors. Lowe's doesn't carry it. It's so new that my local kitchen showroom does not yet have it.

I've learned from other posters and reviewers that some induction cooktops do not support small pans. This one does. Also this is a 50amp cooktop. It is not as flexible as the Thermador, because it's divided into three sections, but can support 5 pans. It's also listed at $2799 whereas Thermador goes for about 4799.

What I'd like to know about this induction top is:
how do you like it.
Can you put 3 10-inch or 3 12-inch pans on it?
Does it make loud humming noises like some other induction tops?
Are the timers easy to set?

This is my first post. Have much appreciated input by so many on other products. (Totally confused about if a really reliable refrigerator does exist - that one could buy today - not all those oldie but goodie ones that are more than 12 years old) I'm slowly remodeling my kitchen - fridge, cooktop, range hood, and eventually micro and oven.

Comments (40)

• juno_barks
    9 years ago

I have not tried the flex induction but might be able to give you some useful information. Though Bosch rolled these out in Feb, my appliance store told me that a production issue slowed delivery till May. For the stores to display the units, I was told Bosch made them remodel an area of some particular size, further slowing our opportunity to touch the units.

From what I've read, the flexinduction and the 800 models are particularly easy to use, with directly selecting the heat rather than having to repeatedly press up or down arrows.

I think it must have been easier in the past to buy appliances - no reviews so you just got what you got. Not that I want to go back, but I do find myself obsessing over negative reviews when it might mostly reflect someone having a bad day.

Here is a link that might be useful: the problem with reading reviews

• abandy
    9 years ago

I just had my 30" bosch benchmark FlexInduction delivered last weekend, and I expect to have it up and running by Christmas (fingers crossed). I will gladly keep you posted on answering some of your questions.

• jquigley3
    9 years ago

I too would like an update on anyone who has a Bosch Benchmark FlexInduction Cooktop and/or the 30" Benchmark side open oven. I really want to add these to my new kitchen remodel and would love feed back from anyone that has these.

• marcmargolis926
    9 years ago
    Benchmark users.. I just had mine installed, I thought I would be using temp number 4 - 5 for medium cooking and feel like I use 7 - 9. For example, I would have thought to make a grilled cheese, I would use 5 ot 6, but instead I am using 7 or 8. Does that align to the power you are getting from your cooktop?
  • jquigley3
    9 years ago

Thank you for posting...I haven't bought mine yet so I would very much like more updates from you after you have had a chance to use it for more cooking. Not getting hot enough would be a concern. I did read that if you are using a cast-iron pan that it may need a few minutes to heat up before use, then works well. What pan did you use and what is the highest setting on the cooktop?

• marcmargolis926
    9 years ago
    I was using an anonlon couvelle small fry pan. This is my first induction cooktop, so I am not sure what to expect
  • jquigley3
    9 years ago

Thanks. I really hope you like this cooktop. I bought a portable Induction cooktop to use during our remodel and absolutely love it. It boils water faster than I've ever experienced and the lowest setting is like a keep warm feature without burning the bottom of your food for a few minutes. I hope you will keep posting your experience with this cooktop and hopefully this will encourage other owners to do the same.

• abandy
    9 years ago

We purchased the Bosch Flexinduction 30" in December. We started our remodel in October, so I used a portable induction in the interim, to get used to it (we switched from a gas range). The Bosch is terrific! It heats water very fast, is flexible, going from a boil down to a simmer in seconds, and can manage 4 pots at once, well. It makes a humming noise when the water gets close to boiling on the highest setting 9, but goes away as soon as I turn the setting down to 4 or 5. It's not obnoxious, but I can certainly hear it. I have had a LOT of trouble learning to use my pressure cooker on it, so I have been over- and under-cooking food for the last few months. I canned some stock this weekend, and the pressure went down so quickly after I turned off the heat, I worried the heat was not high enough so I reprocessed. Also, I noticed that the back left burner shuts itself off, so I will be calling Bosch this week to find out why. It's under warranty so I am not too worried. When I turn on the Flex side, it makes rapid clicking noises for about 2 seconds.

• jquigley3
    9 years ago

Thanks again for this review. Very informative. I hope you get the left back burner fixed without any hassles. Did you also get the Bosch Benchmark side opening door oven? I plan to order that also. Would love to hear how it's working.

• abandy
    9 years ago

We got the Bosch 500 series 30" oven. We had considered the side open, but in the end the features weren't worth the price, for us, as I am not a huge baker. The 500 is GREAT! My favorite feature is the meat probe and the subsequent prefect roasts and meatloaf I have been cooking lately. We also got the Bosch DLX 800 dishwasher which I just LOVE.

• lawjedi
    9 years ago

Thank you! I am ordering this week and am planning on doing the 36" FlexInduction. Quick question for you -- do you have the stainless trim or did you leave it bare? I was thinking bare would be easier to clean - no trim to catch incidental crumbs - but I recently read that another Bosch user (not flex induction) felt the trim kept the edges easier to clean. hmmmm (I aesthetically prefer no trim. But easier to clean will win the day.)

• marcmargolis926
    9 years ago
    I didn't get the trim. It seems undecided whether it serves any functional purpose. I chose not to go with the stainless based on some speculation it could be a crumb trap, but I have nothing to base the assumption on. Good luck with the purchase!
  • Jakvis
    9 years ago
    abandy, most induction cooktops will shutdown a burner if it's sensing too much heat. Usually they start reducing power to the burner but if it still stays too hot it will shut the power off to it as a self preservation to prevent damage to the burner or electronics.
  • cheesestandsalone
    9 years ago

Thank you for the thread! I've got the 30" 800 series on order for my new kitchen and while we're currently using a portable induction hob in our temporary setup, we were wondering how the numbers aligned to temperatures. This is so helpful!

• Jakvis
    9 years ago
    There are too many variables to match temp to a setting, Pot size, pot type, construction of the bottom of the pot that sits in the magnetic field. 208v, 220v, 240v, the product you are heating, etc. etc... The most import thing to know about your pots is some manufacturers say their pots are induction just because a magnet sticks to the bottom and then there are manufacturers that build Induction "Tuned" pots and pans, that are designed to work best on induction cooktops. There will be a big difference between the 2.
  • amabyam
    8 years ago

I'm trying to decide on induction cooktop, 36". Any updates from you guys on your Bosch? thanks!

• kitchengirl
    8 years ago

marcmargolis926:

How is your Bosch FlexInduction? Anymore comments on ease of use, convenience?

Are you happy with the untrimmed version? Thanks!

• saladeveryday
    8 years ago

I am tempted to buy a Bosch Flex Induction but heard that they are horribly noisy...that the buzz they create is intolerable. Has anyone had that experience? I also heard that the noise can depend on the type (heaviness/quality) of the cookware you are using. Thanks again for any insights!

• hvtech42
    8 years ago

Every induction cooktop makes a little noise on the high settings. The amount can vary based on your cookware. I haven't heard anything about the FlexInduction that would make it stand out from other induction cooktops noise-wise.

• abandy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My Hario buono water kettle makes buzzing noise on Speed Boost, only after it's reached a boil. It doesn't do it when I first turn it on. The bottom is pretty thin, though, since it's a water kettle. Sometimes, it shakes a bit and moves off the hob. Keep in mind that I am near and watching it because on Speed Boost it boils in less than two minutes, and as soon as it boils, I turn it off. None of my large pots make a noise that I have noticed, but I will pay attention and report back if I do. My pots are le creuset and Fagor, with thick bottoms.

I have an untrimmed version and it's very easy to keep clean. If I had the trimmed version, which I don't, I could see where the edges of the trim might pull on my paper towel while I am wiping the top, since it sits about a 1/4 inch off the countertop, I just wipe across in big swoops. An edge would get in the way, I think.

• jquigley3
    8 years ago

Thanks for your reply and for including the type cookware you use. I was concerned about the previous comment about the noise level. I do think the cookware will make the difference in the buzzing. I'm using a little portable induction now and it does make a humming sound all the time it is on but I hope the Bosch doesn't.

My kitchen remodel is now going to take place in Jan 2016 so I'm still very interested in any experiences anyone has with the Benchmark 36" model. I too am planning on the untrimmed version. Most trimmed versions I've been around do catch edges of paper towel when cleaning.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

I have a Bosch induction cooktop (not the Benchmark version) - it buzzes at the outset on occasion (not often) but never all the time it is on. I use a combination of Tramontina all-clad, IKEA 365+, Lodge and Le Creuset cast iron, and various non-stick (calphalon and ceramic) pans.

• gail0202
    8 years ago

I have the flex induction. Mostly I like it. Haven't noticed excessive noise and don't think it would be the cooktop that makes the noise anyway, it would be the pan. I much preferred the controls on my grey market De Dietrich (in my previous home). Not a fan of having to select the zone each time I want to change settings on another zone. De Dietrich had a great control system. I guess I'll get used to it but it's cumbersome.

• abandy
    8 years ago

I just found a great video describing the features on the Flex Induction, it's instructive if you don't own one yet, or are a new owner.. In the video, she is using a 36" but the feature are the same on my 30". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DDsyeWPQUc

I really want to purchase the bosch Teppan Yaki pan that fits over the Flex Induction area, but I wonder if I can get the same results with my 11' viking salute pan. I really want the grill pan, too, but Le Creuset makes one. Has anyone used either of these pans on their Flex Induction?

• amabyam
    8 years ago
    Has anyone had the edges chip? I read some say that if you don't get the trimmed ones the edges can chip. But I sure like the idea of one that's so easy to clean and not get things stuck in edges.
  • sherri1058
    8 years ago

gail0202, thanks for the comment about having to select the zone each time you want to change settings on another zone. It is a concern for me, particularly when I know that my DH will only use the cooktop on occasion and it needs to be easy!! Do you switch the flex off for most of your applications or do you just leave it on? I went to the Bosch/Thermador/Gaggenau gallery for a demonstration and found it a bit confusing. Even more confusing (the demonstrator had problems with this one) was setting the timer for a couple of the hobs. I'm sure that it's easy with practice, but not sure how intuitive it is??

• John Rayburn
    8 years ago

We have had our NITP666UC for about a year now. We love it. Only issue we have had is that our large Le Crueset French oven, which we use on the large burner in the middle, sometimes causes an error code P6. Haven't figured that out yet. Otherwise, no issues. Love it!

• amabyam
    8 years ago
    any issues with chipping on edges yet?
  • cagesjamtoo
    8 years ago
    No issues with chipping - we have the frameless version, and use a French oven on it at times and the rest all clad, and the kids cook on it a fair amount too, for what it's worth (i.e., it's not just me and the wife pampering it!). Fingers crossed our luck continues!
  • cagesjamtoo
    8 years ago
    (Realized I posted from my wife's account just now!, but same person as the comment above about having it for a year.)
  • kitchengirl
    8 years ago

cagesjamtoo: Thanks very much for your comments on chipping -- very helpful. I'm in the frameless camp for my Fall purchase of a 36" indux. cooktop, unless I read otherwise by then!

• eliasgrace
    8 years ago

Has anyone had issues with evenness of cooking, especially on the flex zones? My question specifically is whether, for example, you could put a 9 or 10.5 inch (bottom diameter) pan on the flex zone (which is only 8 inches wide, I think, on the 36") and cook an omelet evenly. I'm assuming this can be done on the middle 12 inch hob but have my doubts about the flex zone. I would love to be able to use two 10.5 inch pans at the same time and have them cook evenly!!

• amabyam
    8 years ago
    Yes, thank you for responding about chipping, so glad to hear this since it seems much easier to keep clean without the stainless edges
  • kaseki
    8 years ago

I don't personally believe that the induction field, even when matched to the pan size, heats the pan base uniformly, particularly at the center. It can not directly heat the pan base portion that extends outside the induction hob coil. I suspect this is also true of gas burners, but to a lesser degree due to flame spread.

Near uniformity of interior pan base temperature results from including in the pan base a layer of metal with good radial thermal conductivity. The most practical metals are aluminum and copper. Most quality induction-ready pans include this layer. Thin 400-series stainless steel pans, such as RevereWare once made, are good for heating or boiling liquids, but not for uniform temperature frying.

On the other hand, many chefs use thin steel pans, but I'm unsure of their results on induction.

Japanese cooking entails lifting and allowing egg to flow under the relatively thin cooked portion which is rolled up. I don't think that cooking style requires temperature uniformity.

kas

• eliasgrace
    8 years ago

Thanks for your response, Kas! I ask because I was really impressed with the Thermador Masterpiece 5 Hob. I used a 12 inch base diameter nonstick pan on their 13 inch hob and it made a really evenly cooked pancake (yes, very large 12 inch pancake!). I also used a 10.5 base diameter pan on their 9 inch hob and was impressed that pieces of meat were evenly seared throughout the pan (ok, I confess, it was Spam!) -- and I laid the Spam all the way to the edges of the pan. I was using Demeyere cookware for the Spam test and a Scan Pan for the pancake test. I did these tests on the Miele and it did not perform as well as the Thermador. So....I was wondering what the results would be on the Bosch Flexinduction but sadly there isn't one live that I can test out.

• kaseki
    8 years ago

Interesting. What was different between the hob configuration of the Thermador Masterpiece and the Miele?

• eliasgrace
    8 years ago

Not a huge difference in hob configuration (I think Miele has 2 9 inch hobs vs Thermador's 9 and 8 inch). It's just that when I cooked pancakes (12 inch pan on 12 inch hob) and spam (10.5 inch pan on 9 inch hob) on the Miele the cook was definitely less even on both.

• Tammy
    6 years ago

Eliasgrace - which induction did you end up choosing? And if you combined it with gas or teppanyaki module, which hood did you choose?

• Teresa N-King
    4 years ago
    Here’s the update— I had Ferguson provide the purchase measurements and placement in our updating of our kitchen. Three kitchenaid appliances and one bosch and they measured and made sure it would work as required our space. It really never worked as we couldn’t get it to come on. Right out of the box Or stay on if it came in We couldnt even figure out how it worked!!

Bosch sent a service repair out to our house. In their attempt to fix it, they took it out and put it back in but it didnt sit flat after they did that and guess what? Johnson Appliance in Superior, WI basically they said that was too bad and they had no solution.

To us, that was unacceptable and after two months Bosch sent Ferguson a cooktop to tradeout Ferguson installed this cooktop and it met installation plans they had in the instalatjon manual.

But in meantime we had a $2400 useless out cooktop ferguson installed it

Cooktop worked flawlessly for 10 months Ans then it wigs out now yiubhavr to uollug it to reset it Like a computer

Bosch says its a lack of airflow but can’t provide the pictures that they say show the problem How does thatbhappen after 10 minths of no problem? They didn’t believe my pictures. They haven’t sent out the regional rep as requested

Basically its a “screw-you” customer, according to them we apparently didn’t have Ferguson figure out the installation specs right or install it right and now its our problem. Majorly disappointed in them. Going to find all the places I can to post on this cooktop and Bosch. And report it to the better business bureau. Just unacceptable.
Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area