Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alimajila

Miele or Wolf 30" Induction cooktop?

alimajila
9 years ago

Does anyone have guiding commentary for me regarding a Kitchen Island located Induction cooktop. My designer is vying for either a Miele or a Wolf for me, claiming they are the "best" around... Please help/comment if you have experience/knowledge of this. Thanks!

Comments (4)

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I have the wolf 36. It is over 2 years old.

I wanted the 36 to have the 11 inch burner. I also put a silicone pad over the cooktop when I need extra counter space.

It took awhile to make friends as medium is not always medium etc
    Once you figure it out, it makes sense. 4000 mega burner is designed to be hot where as other burners are designed to melt or simmer and low is lower.

The large burner does not share energy. The others are paired but not really bridge-able

I melt chocolate without a double boiler, slow cook, rock a pot of water, braise etc - it works well.

Noise- I want Sparky to come back and check my LED cans as I get some interference noise when they are on(took 2 years to figure this out).

Most pans have some noise associated with them but when the fan is on, i don't notice or minimal.

The biggest differences between Miele and Wolfare the burner layout and Miele has individual timers that turn off each burner automatically.

Others to consider- gag or bosch.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Just a note about my experiences re power sharing on induction cooking. On a 36" wide, there are 3 power sharing zones. On a 30" wide, there are 2 power sharing zones.

Power sharing only comes into play when using the Boost feature. Boost is the extra heat above levels 1 through 9. You use boost to attain a boil but not to maintain a boil. Once the pot has the bubbles you want, turn the heat down to 7.5 or 8 or 8.5, whatever you like to keep the bubbles at the ferocity you want. It will boil over if you do not lower the heat. On my Bosch, 'boost' automatically will shut down after ten minutes but as a practical matter, I shut the boost off after it gets up to boil, to prevent a boil-over.

You can have all five or four hobs at full power-at any heat level, except boost and not power share.

I have been using my Bosch for 3.5 years now. Power sharing is something I read about but simply doesn't come into play. By the time I get the next pot ready to boil, putting water and food in, it's time to shut off the boost to prevent boil overs.

To summarize, you can blaze every one of your hobs at the same time as long as boost is not engaged. Power sharing only applies to the boost feature. Use boost to attain a boil but not to maintain a boil. fini

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

West - thanks
    I forgot to mention when power sharing engages. It is really a non issue most of the time and the only burner that I usually boost is my 11 inch burner which is on its own.

• cj47
    9 years ago

I have the Miele 36 inch, and I've had it for about 4 years. I love it. I liked the hob configuration, the hob sizes, and the fact that you can configure the settings to your liking. When I was shopping, the turn off timers on each hob weren't as common as they are now, and that played heavily into my decision. I use those timers frequently. If I were shopping now, I'd also look more closely at the Bosch models, they have some nice features.

As to reliability, I haven't had any trouble with my Miele, but I haven't seen much in the way of complaints on this board about other brands, either. However, I've been less active here of late, so you might want to do a search just to be sure if you decide to consider other brands.

In the end, you won't go wrong either way, it just depends on which brand appeals more to you.

Cj