Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
absob

Gagganeau, Miele or Wolf teppan yaki cooking module?

absob
10 years ago

Im reposting this in appliance, accidentally posted to kitchen forum. long time reader, new poster :)

I have been drooling over the flexibility of the integrated modules from Wolf, Miele and Gagganeau. I have not seen many reviews on these. Need some hep deciding what to do.
Renovating new kitchen. Have finally decided on 36" induction for cooktop. Was originally drooling over Wolf steamer module next to induction, along with set of double ovens. I cook a lot of pasta, thought the idea of having large steamer for making/keeping warm lots of pasta would be helpful if have company. As well as making rice, since I can never get it right on stove top. As well as throwing in some veggies and salmon together and making a super quick easy healthy dinner on the fly, as I saw in a YouTube video.

BUT then... I started investigating ovens and became aware of the newer convection steam ovens from Wolf and Miele and fell in love with this as my second oven. So now going with one single convection and one steam convection. Still not set on brands yet...opinions welcome.

I feel with the steam convection, having the steamer module would be overkill. SO then....started drooling over the tepan yaki modules. As one of worries with the induction, is the difficulty of having a large double griddle on it. I really love the idea of having a large griddle easily available. We make pancakes a lot. Also imagine I could nicely sear chicken or steak on the tepan Naki module. I could easily make grilled cheeses for kiddies and steak n cheese for hubby.

BUT can't seem to find anyone in real world or online who has used one and finds it as helpful as imagine. ALSO, when I went to showroom...salesman completely talked me out of tepan yaki. Making it seem like they are hard to maintain (turn black) and cleanup and messy when cooking. He was saying a double griddle pan on top of the induction is easier and neater. But I am not a big fan of cleaning large pans. Would rather wipe down a tepan yaki module than have a large griddle pan next to sink waiting to be cleaned or taking up half my dishwasher. According to him, seems like I'm better off spending my money on another dishwasher instead of teppan yaki griddle.

But unless the induction has a bridge, which Wolf and Miele do not, then a double griddle just doesn't seem that easy to use on top of induction. I'm still thinking a tepan yaki module next to my induction would solve all my problems and be fun to use. Am I dreaming?

Any advice on Gagganeau, Miele or Wolf cooking modules would be helpful :)

This post was edited by absob on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 20:12

Comments (31)

• barryv_gw
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Can't help on the teppan yaki module, but can say that have a combi ( Steam - convection ) is great. I have a 12 pound turkey breast in the oven right now and it smells great. Guests may be running a little late, so I turned down the temp a little, and can still monitor the progress with the thermometer that plugs into the oven.

• cindallas
    10 years ago

No, I don't think you'd be dreaming. The modular cooktops are designed for just that purpose - to get WHAT you want, WHERE you want it. In my lengthy research for my own ideal cooking surfaces, I have mostly heard of people using induction set along side gas in different combinations or a variety of several side by side. And a few Teppan Yaki as well. It might be helpful to see what that configuration or similar would look like with a wide hood over both, so you could do a search on Houzz for pictures and I've also seen several here on GW.

Regarding your question on using a Teppan Yaki pan on induction, I just came across something I've been wondering about for awhile. I don't have any personal experience with these, but I have been looking for a good griddle or Teppan Yaki pan myself that works well on the regular induction. I just saw a YouTube video that shows the standard 36" (Thermador) induction cooktop using their special large rectangular stainless steel Teppan Yaki pan (that they sell with their zoneless model), across two of their regular hobs (no bridge unit) with great success. Finally something beyond the token boiling water in a single pot! A very informative video that talks of pan preheating temperature vs cooking temperatures. Some have reported issues with spanning two hobs like this, but clearly this one works. You may have to investigate if it would work with other brands. The video is from Purcell Murray from California I believe. Link below.

This pan is actually sold as an accessory under the Thermador Freedom (zoneless) Induction model, along with a smaller square Teppan Yaki pan. They are stainless steel with handles and obviously work on induction. These look to be a larger size than most.

After researching, that Freedom Induction would not work for me for various reasons but I was intrigued when I saw these pans as accessories but could not find any evidence of it working on a standard hob induction, till I just came across this video on the regular 5 hob 36" one.

But since you are really interested in an actual Teppan Yaki surface instead of a seperate pan, I would not take one salesman's comments to heart. He is probably referring to the darkened surface (like most or all griddles or French Tops for that matter, on ranges, which are extremely popular), and have heard some people complain about that. Is the look more important than the function to you? Maybe there is a middle ground and you could find (or have made?) a stainless steel cover like a typical range has for a griddle if that is a concern.

If you have not already done so, it might help to see some of these modules in person at appliance showrooms. I have personally seen both the Miele and Wolf that way. It won't be a full scale induction with cooktop with one module next to it most likely, but will be a series (typically 3) of the units in tandem on display. And you can see the size, controls, connecting stainless steel sections, etc and get a feel for them. They are typically sized 12" or 15" but there might be something else out there as well.

You should also look up the electrical requirements in the installation specs since you will have to run an additional line for the Teppan Yaki module. Typically a 240 volt with a 15 to 20 Amp (or more) along with the regular 240 volt and a 40 or 50 Amp (depending on a 30" or a 36") cooktop. As well as looking at the specs on the supports or under counter brackets if you have them side by side.

Hope this helps in your decision. Keep us informed of your progress.

Here is a link that might be useful: You Tube video of Thermador Teppan Yaki pan on standard 36

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

Curious about what you would cook on the teppanyaki? And how would you clean it? What can you do on it that you cannot do on a regular griddle or a stovetop teppanyaki as cindallas mentions? Will you use it often enough? Additional units also require a bigger hood and you should factor that into the cost.

• Jena Tarleton
    6 years ago

I'm actually trying to make the same decisions, i.e., (1) Whether to install the Wolf 15" Teppanyaki module alongside the 30" induction cooktop (I'd love to add the 15" fryer module for homemade Belgian frites as well, but our cooktop is on an island, and Wolf's island hoods can't accommodate cooktops over 45" wide). What did you decided?

• barnaclebob
    6 years ago

I'd get an outdoor propane flattop surface first. The build in unit seems to be too small to really be effective with vegetables, stuff will be flying everywhere.

• jwvideo
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Jena -- have you seen Demeyere's 22 x 13 teppanyaki/griddle/plancha? Built specifically for providing very even heating when spanning burners without bridging heating elements between them, it is was designed with induction in mind. The potential advantages for you could be one less appliance to cut into your island and one less appliance to plan your your venting around. Here is a link to the pan on the web-site of parent company ZwillingUSA.

If you think this pan might interest you, you can find a recent long and detailed (and positive) discussion of it at chowhound (link is here) and a couple of shorter threads at Gardenweb/houzz which you can find here and here.

• Jena Tarleton
    6 years ago

OMG...if only my contractor would respond to my questions this quickly.... You guys are amazing.

Bob, I totally agree with you, and actually use our outdoor propane grill for veggies (along with meat and fish), and even more importantly, your point about size really hits home, and tells me that a teppanyaki is definitely *not* the answer.

Here's my quandary: the first floor of our Florida "beach house" (read: DH's very bad premarital real estate investment, made at the height of the housing bubble) was largely demolished in a hurricane last October, and we need to put in a new kitchen. Because there is no gas service in the area, we're installing an induction cooktop. I'm keen on the idea of having an induction cooktop--the appliances the house came with were absolute junk, and not having a real kitchen down there made it difficult for me to want to visit for more than a long weekend--but I'm trying to figure out how to prepare those DH & daughter favorites ordinarily prepared (and simultaneously consumed by them) in large batches on a griddle (e.g., pancakes, pupusas). At home (NYC), I just lay three 2-burner griddles across all six gas burners and churn them out a dozen at a time.

JW, it sounds like the Demeyere's teppanyaki/griddle/plancha might be just the ticket. I'll take a look.

• plllog
    6 years ago

Why do you have to have a Wolf hood?

I almost bought the Gaggenau teppanyaki but missed a massive price hike by four days and just couldn't stretch that far. I've only used it in demo settings. I wouldn't say that a griddle or plancha is the equivalent, BUT for pancakes and pupusas, it absolutely is. Particularly the Demeyere which is about the same size, and optimized for induction. I have an older round Demeyere one, and it's fab. NOT like a built in teppanyaki, but wonderful as a griddle. :)

BTW, you can do the same thing with induction as you do with your home gas...sort of. Use the plancha on the big element, and single burner griddles or pans on the others. You can also use double griddles on paired elements, but I wouldn't totally cover the surface with double griddles (though it can be done on paired elements, usually). The controls could get too hot, so individual pans would be better. Also, if you're using a larger squared off griddle on a round element, remember to give it some extra time to heat evenly in the corners. Not as much time as gas. :)

Have you seen Trailrunner's posts about her built-in fryer? They're mostly in Kitchens. If I remember right, the qualities to look for are a bottom drain, a well for oil beneath the heating device for crumbs to fall to rather than burning on the elements...I can't remember what else. I almost never fry, and even less deep fry, but she makes it sound like an essential appliance.

Also, if you really want a real teppanyaki, there are some larger ones being made for outdoor kitchens...

So sorry to hear about your house. I hope you get it restored quickly and you can get back to enjoying your it.

• future_retiree
    6 years ago

I agree with above point, a teppan yaki is not the same as a griddle pan or an outdoor propane heated surface. I don't see it mentioned here, so excuse the statement of the obvious, a teppan yaki is intended to cook at high temperatures with no (or very, very little) added oil. The natural juices/liquids/oils in the meat/fish/veggies is all that is needed. You can make grilled cheese sandwiches or panini on a teppan yaki, but that is under utilizing the device,

For the mention of the vent hood, keep in mind a teppan yaki surface gives off a lot of heat, I mean a lot. So pay attention to the specs for capacity and positioning of a vent hood, you want the hood as low and close as possible to the teppan surface (within specs), to have the hood to draw out all the heat and vapors.

I can't stop from commenting on a point on the very first post. A salesman in an appliance store, even a store dealing in high end appliances, is the last person I'd take kitchen design and appliance selection advice from. For multiple reasons, discussed often on here -- incentivized to sell you the highest margin, highest commission items, etc., etc., etc. If you are looking at Wolf, Miele, Gagg, then go to a Wolf, Miele, Gagg, (i.e., a manufacturer's) design center or demonstration center, or whatever the manufacturer calls them and get advice from people who are not salesman and are knowledgeable in what they do, i.e., design professionals, design consultants, and have training and certifications in home and kitchen design.

• Jena Tarleton
    6 years ago

Believe it or not, I do know what a teppanyaki is (and would love to have one here at home to use for its true intended purpose if I had the room). But I know zilch about induction cooktops (I've had the exact same SubZero refrigerator & Wolf gas range for 20+ years, both of which still work as well as the day they were installed), and was under the impression that one could not cook on a large griddle/plancha/pan spanning more than one induction hob/element on a standard induction cooktop, but only on one of the so-called "flex" (Gaggenau) or "freedom" (Thermador) models, and was trying to come up with a work-around for Sunday brunches for my hungry family. (Note: I don't have any objection to using either the Gaggenau or Thermador free positioning cooktops; I think the concept is fabulous. It's just that I prefer to buy appliances based on recommendations from people who actually own and use them on a daily basis, as opposed to merely selling them for a living, and I don't know a soul with either). I take it that my impression was wrong, which is certainly a relief.

Plllog, thank you for your kind words. We actually consider ourselves incredibly lucky; no one was hurt and it wasn't our primary home (and thus we didn't end up homeless like so many others). As for the hood, you are certainly correct; I don't need it to be one from Wolf. The reason I was going with the Wolf was largely out of convenience; with the exception of the dishwasher, all of the replacement kitchen appliances are from Sub-Zero/Wolf.

I realize that probably sounds like a lame reason, but literally everything on the first floor of the St. Augustine house--from the walls to the wiring to the floors to everything in between--has to be replaced; every appliance, every fixture, every outlet, every door, every piece of hardware, and as a SAHM in a single-income household, it has fallen to me to research and decide the optimal choice (form, function, & fisc) for each one. At first I thought it would be fun. After all, what could be better than getting to pick everything out yourself all at once, instead of having to wait until the things you don't like slowly break down one by one over the years? But then researching the structural/building envelope integrity issues took 300+ hours, the combined mechanical (HVAC, electrical, plumbing) issues consumed another 100+ hours, fixtures another 80+ hours, finishes (flooring, tile, countertops, stair treads, interior doors) nearly 200 hours, and so on. At this point I'm ready to have anyone but me decide things, island hoods included. ;-)

• future_retiree
    6 years ago

> It's just that I prefer to buy appliances based on recommendations from people who actually own and use them on a daily basis.

I do own a teppanyaki, and use it once or twice a week. It is different than a griddle plate (on a stovetop). It's worked out to be roughly two functions in one device, a regular contact griddle (when used at lower temps), and a high temp teppan yaki. For the lower temp/regular contact griddle heat settings pancakes and crepes work fine, as do panini, grilled cheese, hot sandwiches, etc. but scrambled eggs are too runny (too fluid) they flow over the side before anything cooks and solidifies. The teppan surface is perfectly leveled, (keep this point in mind if you go with a teppan).

At first I thought why did i get this and considered changing it out, however I'm at the point if I ever moved and did a kitchen remodel again would definitely install one.

• plllog
    6 years ago

So, that's one nice thing about the Gaggenau--it has a lip edge which keeps the eggs from running out. I think that also can interfere with your knuckles, though.

Dominoes, as the units are called because of the shape and "spots", can be very useful, but are not kind to the budget.

Jena, something we can't help you with is whether you really do want a real teppanyaki especially one larger than a 15" wide domino, and whether you'll really use it much. Since you were able to switch ideas to a big griddle, and you have other cooking options, I think maybe not. I do occasionally miss having one, but if I really wanted, I could get one outside.

The hood however is another story. Custom hoods are no problem. Your contractor can build one without any trouble, or you can order one. They're not even prohibitively expensive unless you go overboard. To save you some thinking and research, I'll put it out there that Tradewinds and Modern-Aire make good "inserts" (the works). There are plenty of others. Just saying the two I'd look at first. Modern-Aire can also make you a beautiful completely custom hood canopy and works. So you could get your induction, teppanyaki and fryer.

OR you could get two Wolf hoods (if you can manage the ducting) and have one for the induction and the other for the dominoes.BUT, I've read about (can't find now) someone making a simple teppanyaki out of sheet steel to put on a big barbecue. Charcoal fired and everything. The steel was heavy--just thin enough to have the flexion that true teppanyakis have that makes a dimple when they're hot so the juices (or eggs) don't run out.

AND, you have enough else to deal with. There's no such thing as a perfect kitchen. Good enough will be just fine in the long run.

Re griddles: You can only use long griddles on paired induction elements. That's usually front to back facing you, but only if it says in the book. What happens, though, is that it takes a lot longer to fully heat because so much isn't over inductors (you could go old school and heat in the oven) and even when it's fully heated there can be hot spots right over the inductors. It'll work, but perhaps quirkily. But, again, I wouldn't cover the whole thing. One long griddle. Or several small ones. Overheating is a big issue. Nothing "bad" will happen, but it'll shut off in self defense. You can help by opening the drawers underneath to let out the hot air, and even putting a fan in there to help blow the hot air out.

There are limitations to the "full surface" induction. There are still control zones, and a maximum number of pots. Have you seen the new Gaggenau? I think it's here already. I fell in love with it on the Euro release. There's a big multi ring center. That means that the zones are concentric and bigger pots turn more on. Wonderful. The two sides, instead of having paired round elements, each have four full surface inductors. The four can be used with a pot on each of the front and back pairs, or a bigger pot in the middle pair, if I remember right. And with the big oblong inductors, you should at least be able to do two long griddles. I get it about not being the first kid to have one, but my Gaggenau induction is pre-full service. Excellent unit, but not the same. I'd leap at the chance on that one though.

Sigh. I'm sorry. I'm supposed to be narrowing not adding more choices, but since it sounds like you're not 100% happy yet, maybe this will be useful.

• suwmil
    6 years ago

I am so glad to finally find someone who has actually used the tepanyaki in home. We have been designing a home for last 1 year and I still can't make up my mind regarding tepanyaki.

Ever since I first started to look at appliances ; I have been drooling over and dreaming of the tepanyaki and grill and gas modules side by side ; have currently setteled on those from Miele. But I am very nervous as atleast until now ; had never seen a review from anyone who actually has used it.

Dear ; future retiree ; how hard is it to clean the tepanyaki ? And does food stick to the surface a lot ? I am very used to cas t iron utensils and griddles and am most concerned about burning food on stainless steel tepanyaki and it turning black with usage .

mynother option would be 48 inch range with steam oven from Thermador

finally has anyone used the fryer from Miele ; I chose that over the wolf steamer as it mentions the Miele fryer can double function as steamer . Anyone has experience ?

Sue ---Kitchen dreamer.

• homepro01
    6 years ago

Sue,

Do a google search for Gardenweb User "TrailRunner". She had a Miele fryer and posted a lot of pictures of the products from the Fryer and a great reviews of it. It had some functions that were must haves in her mind when using a fryer.

Here is a link to one of her threads - TrailRunner Miele Fryer

• plllog
    6 years ago

Sue, at the Gaggenau distributor in California, for cleaning they recommend going over the teppanyaki with the cut side of half a lemon while it's still warm. Then just sponge out as usual. Easy. I think the Miele has a shallower well so maybe a little harder to contain the water, but shouldn't be hard with a little attention.

• suwmil
    6 years ago

Thank you for sharing the Miele fryer review.

• suwmil
    6 years ago

And yes thank you for the cleaning tip. PIIIog

• future_retiree
    6 years ago

I'd proceed with caution on using a lemon to clean a Miele Teppan Yaki. Meaning I would not do this on mine. Why? Per the Miele manual:

Avoid cleaning products that contain
    washing soda, acids/alkali, ammonia,
    bleach, or lime removers.

A lemon is acidic. Maybe this is ok for Gaggenau steel surfaces, however if Miele thought this was is a good idea for their surfaces they'd say so. But in fact they say do not, ... see avoid acids.

• suwmil
    6 years ago

Thank you so much for all your input.

I have always loved the Miele combisets and so decided to go with those in the new house. Was having second thoughts though ; as I had nt heard from anyone who actually used those.

Mainly worried about steel surface cooking and cleaning ; having been used to lecruset cast iron ceramic coated pots and pans or anodized surfaces. And as you said the tepanyaki module is 15 inch so replacement might become hard I thought.

I checkednout the Miele fryer posts from trail runner ; but haven't yet found any posts which talk about the dual functionality ( fryer / steamer)

i don't fry much except with large parties and will mainly be using the unit as steamer.

Wanted to go with this unit rather than wolf steamer , so as to keep the look same with same brand as well as dual functionality. And the wolf steamer is like thousand dollar more expensive.

Any thoughts ?

• homepro01
    6 years ago

Suwmil,

I am not a fan of countertop steamers. Are you getting an oven? Which one? You may want to consider the Miele Steam oven combi. It functions as a convection oven and steamer. This is my next appliance purchase. It has more flexibility and does not take up countertop space. If you don't have space for an additional oven, may I suggest a Japanese steamer basket on a pot of water or a soup vide machine. Although I am not a fan of souls vide for meat, vegetables and eggs are a revelation. The souls vide machine is small and take up very little space. The Japanese steamer can be used for multiple things and is stored in a cabinet.

Good luck!

• plllog
    6 years ago

If you want it primarily as a steamer, I don't know if it would be the best appliance for you. I've heard from others that the function is just fine, if that's what concerns you, but it's the function with oil that really shines (pun not intended but recognized). The best for steaming is a fully plumbed combi-steam oven. Total functionality with least effort. I don't know if this is true, but my feeling is that countertop steamers, like their in-pot brethren, make the food wetter than the steam oven. That may be more about the configuration of the steamer basket, however.

The principles for frying and steaming in the appliance are the same. Put in liquid, heat it, put in a basket of food and cook it. Less liquid, of course for steaming. The bottom drain is convenient for either. I believe some countertop steamers can be plumbed. The fryer probably not.

• future_retiree
    6 years ago

The product description for the combi fryer on Miele's US webpage says "Particularly versatile - You can use it to cook pasta."

Which made me look at the manual, which lists an optional accessory of a "Pasta basket with lid." So evidently you can do something with boiling water. However no other mention of steaming that I saw in the product manual. Suggest you call Miele if any detailed questions.

• suwmil
    6 years ago

I am installing the Miele combisteam oven . So it seems like the additional steamer is not at all needed. I think in that case I will stick with the fryer as it will be available when there is large scale frying to be done. I do have enough countertop to put it in. This has been great. I am glad that I decided to post and ask questions. Thank you again !

• future_retiree
    6 years ago

Good decision IMO. There are many more things you can do in a CSO than in an in-counter steamer -- and it's not entirely clear the fryer can do steaming or simply functions as a vessel of boiling water.

At the Miele demo centers they demo cooking pasta in a CS Oven, they use a this pan.

• plllog
    6 years ago

Also check the Kitchens forum for more of Trailrunner's reports about using the fryer. One of the best features seemed to me to be that the heating element is above a well where food particles fall so they don't burn and make the oil taste bad. I think you'll really like it, and I know you'll love the CSO!

• Shazartist
    5 years ago

Hello All, I have been reading all the reviews. fabulous by the way, lots of ideas to think about. I looked at purchasing a Gagganeau Teppanyaki and Steam combo oven. In Australia the Gagg is very pricey so I went searching and found the V-Zug which has great reviews and seems more user friendly than the Gagg but I live in a country town and am worried about service and installation. wondering about Meile in these products? Has anyone with experience used the V-Zug or ? another Teppanyaki or Steamer. Some have come up as fairly good but lots of the name brands rebadge so what is good yesterday is not so today :(

• future_retiree
    3 years ago

Knowing this is an old thread, here's an update on how I do the cleaning on a teppan yaki surface.

I have the effort down to about a 2 to 3 minute task and have been thinking that's really efficient, The way I see it that time is significantly less time that it takes to put a comparable pan through a DW cycle.

See attached picture, I use a coffee cup filled with water and a few drops of dish washing liquid, a hard spatula, and several micro fiber cloths. Wait until the surface cools down and has a little heat left in it, so yes you have to time this unlike washing a pan in a DW.

Use the spatula to sprinkle some water from the cup onto the warm surface. You don't need a lot of water, a fraction of what is in the the coffee mug. If the water boils then wait a few minutes because the surface is still too hot. Use the spatula to scrape the residue. Miele's instructions are to use a hard spatula and I found that to be true.

This will never give a perfect clean in my experience. If you want that result follow the instructions to use stainless steel hob cleaner, Miele's works as does Weiman brand. I don't mind some of the discoloration on the surface, it's a sign of usage or a badge of honor. And I don't see commercial grills in restaurants or delis obsess over having shiny stainless steel.

Use one micro fiber cloth to wipe up the water and residue. Use a clean micro fiber cloth, wet it, and wring out some fresh water onto the surface and wipe away the water with the food residue and dish washing liquid which you do not want in your cooked food. Use a third micro fiber cloth to wipe everything dry.

At the end of a week of doing this I have a pile of micro fiber cloths to put through the laundry. I picked up a few ten packs of these micro fiber cloths and now they are very handy.

All of the above respects the Miele cleaning instructions here.

• dotsandstripes 123
    3 years ago

@ future_retiree, I'm curious to know what you like to cook on your teppanyaki. We tried pancakes but they stuck so badly and now no one in the family wants to touch the thing.

• future_retiree
    3 years ago

Recently I've been making Panini. Before Panini I was making sausages and kebabs. Usage works in cycles for me. I also went through a 'saute vegetables and fruit phase.' The kebabs worked well and I plan to get back to them soon.

Panini is super convenient, put together bread, meat and cheese and some artichokes or roasted tomatoes, maybe add some basil or spinach, put almost no oil on the bread, start to finish under ten minutes. Making panini using sourdough bread you made yourself is satisfying in several ways.

I have a PDF of a Miele "Tepan Cook Book." Don't remember where I got it. It has several pancake recipes in it, I haven't tried any but presume if the recipes are in a book then Miele has tested them out, maybe call one of their centers for some advice if you are having trouble.

There are a lot of youtube videos on using a teppan yaki, also spell "tepan yaki."

And there are these recipes on the Miele website, go into search and filter by product type.

• dotsandstripes 123
    3 years ago

Thank you so much!