Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetogarden_oak

30" all gas GE monogram vs. Thermador

lovetogarden_oak
11 years ago

Hi, GW-ers!

After lurking for weeks on GW and spending lots of time visiting local appliance stores, we have narrowed down our 30" all gas range choices to:

-GE monogram ZGP30NRSS

-Thermador PRG304GH

We looked at Blue Star and realized we are not the kinds of cook that will benefit from that. Mostly, DH seared and sauteed. I simmer and broil. We occasionally bake (mostly our teenage daughter :)

We are torn between the look of monogram (which we like better) and the star burner (which we hope means better heating or cooking performance). We are concerned that the Thermador XLO feature will be a liability (need service calls) down the road.

We would love to hear from GW-ers who have had first hand experiences with either GE monogram or Thermador gas ranges.

What do you like about your range and what do you not like?

What is your experience with the customer service?

TIA!

Comments (6)

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

Not sure what Blue Star has that you would "benefit from" that the others don't, other than it cost less.
    You are looking at around $4200-$5000 for a stove you would be better off in that price range to get a Capital Culinarian.

Or since you don't cook that much then why spend $5000 on a stove, you could get a 30' NXR that will do just as well for $2000 or less.

• lovetogarden_oak
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We decided on GE monogram over Thermador. That decision is mostly emotional, meaning my husband and I found GE monogram just spoke to us more. Of course, there were other factors that helped us lean towards the GE monogram, such as:

(1) We got it for under $4400. We shopped around and also sent out quote requests to our local appliance dealers listing our appliance needs.
    (2) GE monogram comes with the island trim standard (unlike Thermador), so we save $350 there
    (3) GE monogram offers $1000 instant rebate if we get the DW. Since we are not keen with the euro-sized Thermador/Bosch DW, that rebate works for us. Of course, kitchen aid has better DW, but after we did the math, the GE monogram DW comes to about $500 after the instant rebate. So, we thought what the heck. It works. All we need is something that has a delay function and relatively quiet. It will be an upgrade compared to our current DW.
    (4) My husband likes the timer :)

We haven't installed the stove yet, so we can't tell you how it works. But, we have a feeling we will love it.

• whit461
    11 years ago

We just got a HUGE deal on a 30" GE Monogram Dual Fuel range. Floor model, under $2,500, had gone out to be installed, and was returned. Full warranty. We had also been looking at Thermador because of the rebates (though GE is also offering some good ones) and because we think the burners will cook better. Might have looked at the Wolf D3 series, but just never wanted to go down that rabbit hole.

We think at this price, we could do no better. Looking now at GE Mono Advantium 240 or the Elux Icon speed oven.

• mkuyekawa
    8 years ago

Are you still around lovetogarden_oak? Any reviews on the monogram two years later?

• ottoandlillysmom
    8 years ago

I have an older GE Monogram which worked fine and looked good until I needed to use the self cleaning feature. The very first time I used it, the heater element burned out. The cycle finished, the oven was clean but the door wouldn't open. The GE repair man came out and told me it happens all the time and I shouldn't use the self clean. Very disappointing since I paid big bucks and I've used the self clean countless times on other, cheaper ovens in previous homes. The repair man got the door open and was on his way. 7 years later, the clean cycle light wouldn't shut off. I accidentally hit the button while cleaning. The door was unlocked and I could use the oven but the light stayed on. Since we are selling our home I needed to get it fixed. GE repairman came out and told me the door latch was bent and broken. (I guess that's how the last guy opened the door since we never touched it). There are only two of us, no kids so I know the GE guy did it but now I must pay $450 for a new latch and the self clean still doesn't work. When I talked to GE on the phone they said they don't keep records that far back and they are aware of self clean problems with the Profile but not the Monogram.