Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wallymama

Wolf 48' single or double griddle & paneled fridge questions

wallymama
13 years ago

We are doing a complete kitchen remodel and I need some help choosing appliances and configurations!

After looking at a variety of rangetops and reading the posts here, I have my heart set on the Wolf 48" with griddle. My concern is that the single will not be large enough to be practical but I worry about giving up 2 more burners for a double griddle. I have 3 very young sons and already have problems keeping up the pancake supply on weekends with my single electric griddle but I am wondering whether I will need all 6 burners especially when they get older.

We are going to get a 48" paneled built in fridge - Subzero, Jenn-air, and kitchenaid are all possibilities. The difference in cost is about $1000 for jenn-air vs subzero but 2500 between the kitchenaid and subzero. We have heard that for paneled refrigerators the jennair and subzero look better with the surrounding cabinetry. For 1000 more than jennair should I just get the subzero?

I am also wondering whether it is worth it to go for the subzero/wolf package ($1000 off for rangetop, ovens, and fridge). I was thinking the kitchenaid double ovens would be good enough, but if we go with the package with the subzero fridge, the wolf ovens would only be $1300 more than the kitchenaid. A thousand here and there and we start talking about real money, but I am willing to spend it if it is really worth it.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (14)

• andersons21
    13 years ago

I would absolutely get the Sub-Zero fridge rather than the Jenn-air. There's no comparison for brand cache for resale value. And for the models I looked at, Jenn-air had by far the flimsiest drawers and shelves of all the expensive fridges in the showroom. (I have a thing about build quality in fridges.) Sub-Zeros are built like tanks. Good for when you have three young boys.

If you can afford it, I would also absolutely get the Wolf oven rather than the Kitchenaid. From my research, it looks like Wolf makes a great oven and also provides superior service. Once again, the brand value is also on a different level than Kitchenaid.

For the burner/grill configuration, if you think you might ever need 6 burners, get them. Get a separate griddle pan. The built-in griddle will probably heat more evenly, but the griddle pan will work just fine and leave you the option of using many other pans on those burners. I have made awesome pancakes (IMNSHO) in Lodge cast-iron skillets on a 20-year-old gas cooktop. Heck, you could get 3 griddle pans and make pancakes for 30 people if you can pour them out and turn them that fast. :)

• shannonplus2
    13 years ago

Andersons post above says exactly what I think too. I would only add that if you wish to save some money, I would still opt for the built-in Subzero over the Jennair and KA, but you could forego the panelling. The panel-ready model is more $$ than the stainless model, and you'll also have to pay your cabinet company for the fridge panel. There is nothing wrong with a fridge looking like a fridge in a kitchen IMHO. I am also of the camp that likes having a stainless fridge amongst a lot of panelling because it breaks up the cabinet wall, and is more interesting for your "eye" to see a different material from a wall of solid cabinetry. Just my $.02.

Regarding the griddle/burner question. Again, I agree with Andersons. Furthermore, an accessory griddle is easier to clean since you can just bring it to the sink. And you can just store it away when not needed. I am linking below to the winner of the Cook's Illustrated testing of stovetop griddles. I myself have the classic Lodge cast iron griddle that fits across my burners, and frankly, I wouldn't recommend it--it takes a long time to heat, and then if you need it to be cooler quickly (e.g. the pancakes are browning too quickly), the Lodge cast iron is not quick to cool. It is also heavy and therefore harder to clean. One reason why Cook's Illustrated liked the Anolon Griddle I am linking below is because they found that Anodized Aluminum griddles were superior in having even heating across the griddle. While it's heavy enough to maintain an even heat, it's definitely not nearly as heavy as a cast iron griddle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anolon Advanced Griddle at Amazon

• geo91324
    13 years ago

For the kitchen remodel in our new home we chose the Wolf 48" with double griddle. We added a Wolf induction hub on the island and with that we have our six "burners." The hub is the primary unit (like everyone else, we love induction) and so the range top burners get very little use. The range top thus looks brand new and the induction hub, well, one swipe with a wet cloth and it also looks brand new,

As for the fridge, we went with the SZ BI48 paneled. We really like this unit. As to which brand looks better paneled, I think that's more dependent on the quality of your cabinet maker than it is the fridge brand itself. While there's no doubt it's a fridge behind the panels, ours looks beautiful.

• wallymama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the excellent advice! Should I just forgo the griddle and get the grill instead? We live in CA, where it is nice outside and could just use the grill outside but if I will be dragging out separate griddle pans and cleaning them anyway, then perhaps I should try something different... Or is the grill not big enough either?

Saw the subzero layout in person today and really loved it!

• athensmomof3
    13 years ago

I am in the same boat as you and considering the same options. I too have 3 boys but mine aren't as little (my barely 10 year old is almost 5 feet tall). I am going to get a rangetop and double ovens (I think! I wasn't a fan of the 48" range), and probably will get the 36" one. I have never in my life used all 4 burners on my stove and don't expect to start!

I am leaning towards a grill, because I too have an over the burner griddle pan and it works just fine. I will have a warming drawer so I can just make them and put them in the drawer if I need to. I really think I will use the grill a lot - not for meats but for veggies, paninis, texas toast, etc. If I am grilling a steak, I will do it outside but I love the idea of being able to throw some veggies on the grill inside and being able to watch them closely without having to head outside each time.

I haven't decided about the fridge yet. With growing boys, ours is always crammed packed and I don't know if even the 48" fridge has enough space as you lose so much room because it is so shallow. If I do that I will do a set of fridge drawers for overflow and drinks, and if I do my other option of the 36" fridge only SZ I will do freezer drawers.

As far as paneling - I love the fully integrated ones paneled (the 736), but wouldn't panel a 48 as it just looks like a fridge with paneling on it to me :)

• dodge59
    13 years ago

SZ is very old technology compared to the Jenn-air and apparently even the Kitchen-aids. The Jenn-air since 2005 or possibly before, uses the variable speed compressor.

Apparently the Kitchen Aids, as well as most of the other Whirpool Fridges use that too, (according to a poster here). The poster even put up the operation of how the Variable compressor works--Hopefully you can find that post.

Liebheer also uses that variable speed compressor.

"To me", comparing the technologies of the SZ with a fridge that has the VSC (variable speed compressor)is like compairing one of my Dodges (1959 or 1964) to the latest cars built. Yep the Dodges are a blast to drive, but for efficiency, safety and state of the art----as much as I hate to admit it---(The Dodges lack a bit).

As far as I know, and Antss can correct me if I'm wrong, SZ does not use the VSC's. An old style compressor is like a light that can only be turned on/off (no in between or dimming) so the compressors are either all the way on or all the way off, and at least according to a post here, the compressors run quite a bit of the time and according to SZ's Operation Manual, "humming" is normal whilst they run.

Not that you would need it, but I believe the Jenn-air Specs that the temp will hold within half a degree. No way the SZ can do this as it "Purposely" has to run until it is a bit colder than "set temp"--otherwise it would shut off and then start right back up again, where as the Jennair will at first increase the speed of the fan, if it still calls for more cold, it starts up the compressor (if it's off---or speeds up the compressor if it is already going (Isnt this just a bit more modern than just straight on/off (and maybe between the 2 compressors, --not that much off?)

I've had the JA 48" built in for 5 years now. It is NOT flimsy inside, nothing has ever broken, bent or whatever.
    The lighting is great, and we like the digital controls and readouts that allow for 3 different temps in different areas of the fridge (Chrisper, meat keeper and main fridge).

You can not tell (or at least I can't) when the fridge is running, and No, i'm not deaf---I have no problem hearing the Elux wine fridge run.

Not all buyers look for the same thing in buying a house, I have read enough on Garden Webb, Consumer Reports, Epinions, Actual user reviews, etc etc that if I saw a house with all SZ and Wolf Appliances---I would tell the Realtor, "Next House Please".

Good luck with your pending choices!

Gary

• Jessica Taylor
    2 years ago

Just for fun - I wanted to post on this 11 year old thread. So, what did you choose and how did it work for you? Your sons are grown now or very close to it, yes? My three sons are 13, 11 and 9 and the food is a flyin'. I'm getting a 48" range and also trying to decide between single or double griddle. @wallymama

• jlzapalac
    2 years ago

Also curious! trying to decide on the double griddle. we have 4 kids (1-8) and hope to host through the years as this is our forever home.

• kishoris
    last year

Any updates appreciated, same situation here!

• jaja06
    last year

We have 4 kids ages 4-12, and we have a 36” BlueStar with single griddle. I would recommend a double griddle if you have the option. The single is awesome, and the double would be really nice to have.

• Jessica Taylor
    last year

@kishoris Our remodel finally started this week. I ended up going to my local Cove/Wofl/SubZero showroom and had a demo done on the 48" range top with double griddle. After talking with the chef about how I cook and what my needs are, it really made sense to go for the 48". I think it's either 48" or no griddle at all. I just don't think the 24" makes much sense unless you're cooking for 3 or fewer people. Also, remember that if you run out of burners, you can always set a pot on the griddle to keep things warm. In the end, I came to the conclusion that a 48" griddle is truly the American version of the French Top!

• Jessica Taylor
    last year

@kishoris Sorry - meant the single vs double griddle!

• DadEye Moody
    last year

@Jessica Taylor - I agree. We are getting ready for appliance selection and I don’t think 12” is enough. Either a 36”/6 burner or 48”/4 burner and double griddle is what I think is best. Maybe the Fisher Paykel 5 burner and 18” griddle.