Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socalusa_gw

French door or bottom freezer single door? Pic heavy

socalusa
14 years ago

I'm having a major dilemma/cold feet making a decision on a new refigerator for our new kitchen and was hoping someone might have some input.

The new kitchen has the fridge at the far left of a run of cabinets with the range 2 feet to the right and sink is on the far right.

I love the look of the French door, but somehow think that a bottom freezer single door left swing one might work the best. I think this is all boiling down to form over function. Any thoughts on these options? Or anyone have any of these fridges?

Thanks for any ideas...

The layout:

Single door

{{gwi:1460691}}

Whirlpool Gold French door:

GE Profile French door (water only in door):

{{gwi:1460695}}

{{gwi:1460696}}

Comments (7)

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

French Door Fridges were originally designed to get a wider overall fridge into a situation where the width of a single door would be problematic. Then, because of their popularity --they started making them in all widths. I am waiting for someone to make a 24" wide FD fridge 8[

I think in your kitchen the single door fridge looks like it makes the most sense according to your picture.

• socalusa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I think you're right - formwise left swing is probably the best configuration. (Not many out there sadly.)

Our neighbors had an LG FD delivered Friday that's a cutie. It's 19.7 cf and 29-7/8" wide - If you could squeeze 6 more inches out somewhere, this would work! My husband had to cut an upper cabinet trim piece down for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1460687}}

• Jbrig
    14 years ago

I have had an Amana single door bottom freezer (which I love, incidentally) for about 4 or 5 yrs now. The reason we didn't go w/ a FD, like I had originally planned, was b/c I had read some reviews that said you still had to open both sides each time and there was sometimes an issue w/ the door(s) not sealing shut w/out intentionally pushing them closed. Since our children were preschoolers at the time, it didn't sound like something I wanted to have to worry about through their childhood years :-)

The only issue I can think of that may be of concern to you, though, is how far of an outswing the single door has. Mine swings out about 36". Didn't know if that would be a problem in your new kitchen.

In regards to your layout, it does look like the left swing would work well, allowing you to either put things on the righthand counter or straight onto the island.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Almost all brands come as a left swing or right swing for most models in Stainless, and with field reversible doors in the white, black or other colors (you can change it yourself).

You may just have to order it because the more common is right swing.

• socalusa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The sad story is that in the large size (24-25 cf) left swing there are only a couple players. Maytag, Amana and possibly GE are the ones that I have found.

Whirlpool and Frigidaire make 22 cf and there are counter depth left hinged ones, but not many that have the full on 25 cf, deli drawer, stainless, etc.

I wish that I had been an engineer, in this kitchen remodel I have found many things that could be "slightly tweaked" that would appeal more to the masses and not have a huge impact on profit margin.

This kitchen was built with a full depth, full width refrigerator space and I cannot find a reliable ergonomic appliance for it, so I will hang with my 10 year old, reliable Kenmore fridge that has never let me down. She can even wear her old clothes as long as she still wants to come to the party! lol

Here is a link that might be useful:

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I didn't realize the kitchen was already built out?

My parents refrigerator is 22 years old and replaced one that was 18 years old. They bought the *one refrigerator that fit in the space (but stuck out another 9") and they have hated it for all 22 years.

They really could use a new one but the problem is finding one to fit that opens the right way, and has the right features. (There are actually more options than there were 20 years ago--top freezer and side by side, except for Subzeros)

• socalusa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes palimpset, we're almost to the finish line on this reno! I guess we all kind of know that appliances don't appear to be made quite as well as they used to be - however they are more energy efficient, which is a tick in the plus column.

We have what I believe is close to a 25 year old simple top freezer Kenmore refrigerator in our garage that my sister in law gave us 7 years ago which holds sodas, beer, wine, extra frozen meat and Costco buys. It continues to whirr along month after month like a little champ.

There are definitely more options today and we are so very lucky to have informed access to them all. As much as I love the look and feel of the French door design, for me it's just not that ergonomic unless you have your fridge in a spot that's conducive to opening /using it from the front as opposed to the sides. Also, I realized that to open the great deli drawer (which I really like) requires that both doors be opened, which in the great scheme of things is probably not all that big of a deal, but still requires one more step.

That all having been said, I'm still considering the French door style, so go figure. :-)