Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chetsmom

Is Anyone Happy With Their Built-in Microwave?

chetsmom
11 years ago

My husband and are planning for our kitchen remodel. Our cabinets will be custom. We're shopping for stainless steel appliances and have decided on the Bosch HBL5450UC as a single built-in electric/convection oven We need to pick a microwave, but I'm stumped. The Bosch microwaves have some terrible reviews - they die after 2 years. Is anyone happy with their microwave after more than 6 months of use? By the way, I'm open to mixing appliance brands.

Comments (11)

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

There are a few people here that are happy with the one in the link available at deep discount.

It is manufacturer refurbished and comes with a 30 day warranty instead of one year.

If you get one get it right before your cabinet guys are ready for it. You don't want your warranty to expire while it is sitting in the garage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Microwave

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Our previous microwave was a huge, Panasonic micro/convection oven (convection feature had died some years into owning it). It was a behemoth, and ugly, with fake wood grain sides, but that thing kept chugging along.

I don't cook in my microwave; mostly use it to melt butter or chocolate, or reheat leftovers, so didn't need anything fancy. We were very limited as to microwave size, particularly its depth, in the location designated (for a microwave) by our KD. One very important feature for us, was an on/off switch for the turntable (our old Panasonic didn't have a turntable at all, and we liked being able to use oblong baking dishes in the micro when desired). so we were limited even further.

Our GE JEM31 Spacemaker II (discontinued) is small (ours is installed with the matching trim kit), but it does the job, so I guess I am happy with it.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I'm very happy with my 24" Sharp MW drawer. Bought it a reconditioned unit for a great price on ebay. I would do it again in a heartbeat as it functions very well and another type of placement wouldn't have worked in my layout.

• Greg__R
    11 years ago

We've had our GE Profile "above the stove oven" for 5 years now and haven't had any problems. Our only gripe has been that the controls are not intuitive (guests / babysitters have a hard time using it w/o a demo).

• jadeite
    11 years ago

We also avoided the built-in MW when we took out the old decrepit GE oven/MW combination. The GE MW had died a long time before the oven, so we knew we didn't want a combination. We went with Elux for our convection oven, and put a Panasonic countertop convection MW into the shelf above, with a Panasonic trim kit around. It isn't as snazzy as the Elux combination, but it cost about $1000 less. When the MW dies, we can replace it at a lot lower cost than a built-in unit.

Cheryl

• gayl
    11 years ago

We recently built a new house and I made the decision (which was not popular with anyone, btw) to put my microwave on a shelf in the pantry. It sits at just above waist-level right as I walk in. I am so happy I decided to do this...it has easy access and I can easily replace it anytime I want! I just bought one at Sear's Outlet.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Very happy with my 24" Sharp MW drawer.

• chetsmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to everyone for their responses. clinresga: I think that your solution is brilliant. My husband mentioned doing this to our cabinetmaker and he was dismissive saying nobody has been happy when they've done that. We'll be discussing this further this week. The matching trim kit is another option - thanks for mentioning that cat_mom.

• clinresga
    11 years ago

Chetsmom: we got similar warnings when we did ours. "They never stay in alignment" and the like. However, after five years of use, ours still work like new. I will say that we keep it open much of the time when there is no company, so that reduces the wear and tear, and I would not vouce for longevity if it were being opened and closed dozens of times a day, but for us, it's more a few times a week and under that schedule we don't anticipate any problems.

• belair56
    3 years ago

Recently purchased the Frigidaire Professional builtIn MW/ convection, has a pull down oven door. looks high end. I though of a smaller one with trim kit. Trim kit is not worth an extra 275.00 very cheap looking