Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Faber Cristal slide-out integrated range hood

Posted by MizLizzie (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 0:10

Has anyone ever used one of these? I was thinking of replacing my over-range MW with some sort of simple range hood and I saw this. I've seen such things in the EU but never here. This will go over induction, so not a lot of firepower needed, I don't think, but I know little about hoods. Where do the guts of the thing go? In the cabinet above? AJM has a good price. Thanks for any opinions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Faber Cristal at AJMadison

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Faber Cristal slide-out integrated range hood

As long as the mesh filters are religiously cleaned, then the concept is ok. The execution, as perceived from the image in the link, suggests that the pull out is very thin. This would greatly restrict the flow rate through the mesh filters in that part. I would prefer at least four inches internally for air flow.

Mesh-filter based hoods rarely have any capture volume below the filters, as in this case, so effluent not immediately pulled through the mesh can escape. If the asserted 500 cfm is shared 400 in the rear and 100 in the front, clearly the front will be less effective.

Also, this particular unit is only 24 wide and 18 deep when pulled out, much too small in my opinion for anything larger than a one or maybe two-hob induction unit.

kas

o

Agreed, you won't get much performance out of a piece like this, there is just too much air restriction.

You should take a look at the Faber Velvet or Zephyr Genova. These models have a similar built-in look but a glass canopy that slides out for added capture. However, all the filtration is just below the motor itself which will greatly improve performance over the Cristal.

o

Thanks, guys! I will move on. I love the Velvet. Have not seen the ZG but will check it out. I know nothing about range hoods.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here