Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jg1971

48 inch or 36 inch gas range

jg1971
9 years ago

Hello,

Doing a kitchen remodel. The kitchen has no island and is 22 by 11. We got a great price on a 48 inch Capital range from a floor model sale. We were originally thinking 36 inch but we like the extra small oven since we will have no wall oven. Do you think 48 is too big for our kitchen?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (5)

• plllog
    9 years ago

It's not too big for any kitchen if it's what you want. If you'll use it all, often, and cook your hearts out, it's worth it. If you have no other use for 12" of cabinet space and wouldn't otherwise have a second oven, it might be worth it too.

There was a picture floating around here about four years ago of a tiny kitchen, smaller than many closets, in an NYC apartment. It was basically a fridge, a sink, and a massive range. I think it was a 36" professional range, so deeper than normal. There was also a picture of an NYC apartment where the kitchen was basically a wet bar with an induction hot plate built into a drawer. It just depends on how much room you think you need for the actual business of cooking.

• shannonplus2
    9 years ago

Make sure that you are OK with foregoing 12" of upper cabinetry in order to have the 48" range. Also, a 48" hood will cost more than a 36" hood, and, a 48" hood will need some good ductwork from the hood to the outside (a 36" hood will also need good ductwork, but you could get away with a smaller duct than if you have a 48" hood). If those things are fine, then I think it's a great idea to have a 48" range which has the two ovens.

This post was edited by shannonplus2 on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 8:18

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

If I had a 22' long kitchen, I would have a 48" in a heartbeat!
    The small oven would be great, and I'd have a griddle and grill, or a 24" griddle and be in heaven :)

• chazas
    9 years ago

It's all about what you would use and the tradeoffs, as others have mentioned. We had a 48" Wolf dual fuel in our last house, and loved the size (the range, meh).

In the kitchen we're currently working on, we have limited wall space and an odd configuration to deal with. I think we've landed on a 36" Bluestar, but we're going to fit in a Miele speed oven elsewhere to have a little more oven flexibility.

• jg1971
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all you input. We are going to make our decision soon. We do have a little pennisula we can use for counter space which will be close to the stove. Here is an attached pic of the plans with the 36 inch range. I guess our biggest concern is if the 48 inch hood would look too big.

Not sure if this pic is too small to see!