Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

anyone have a dcs rgsc305ss 30' all gas?

mahatmacat1
15 years ago

This is from before F-P took over, I think...it's refurbished on eBay...does anyone have any experience with this range? The specs sound great.

TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: keeping trying...

Comments (14)

• weissman
    15 years ago

Yes, I've had that model for nearly 6 years now. Great range - few problems - if that site is on the level, that's a really good deal.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, weissman! I wondered if that was your model. I don't see any prices on it anywhere on the web, which may mean it's a discontinued model/pre-F&P? The sellers do a lot of business, although their feedback # isn't the greatest...

• weissman
    15 years ago

Yes, that model has been replaced by the RGTC-305SS which actually has a few less powerful burners than the RGSC-305SS

• astroboy30
    15 years ago

I've been to the outlet that is doing this auction and they always have great deals, especially on DCS. They are very reputable so go for it. BTW, they usually have sales on new or scratch and dent where you can easily save $1,000.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

*Great* to hear, weissman and astroboy. I am concerned by one item in their feedback, but I'll try to get a gut read from putting everything together, including communication with them and your post. At least this one they're calling "used", but now I do wonder about the veracity of the claim that it's just scratches that made it be returned. Why would it be installed with scratches on the sides (that no one can see), cooked on and *then* picked up?

Ah well, the investigation continues...

Here is a link that might be useful: the one negative doesn't deny they sold used as new

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ah, a followup question, weissman, if I may:

What is the minimum distance to a *range hood* (not combustible construction) over the cooktop? Is it 26" or 30"? I know it's 36" to combustible construction, but I'm hoping it's 26"...tia.

• weissman
    15 years ago

I think the recommended amount is 30" - don't know if that's the miniumum - you could call DCS and ask.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, guess I'll call them and ask directly. That would be a drag but understandable.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Hey fly, here I am. Yes, that is the exact range I had in FL, but piped for propane. Mine was a pre-FP build, but I used them for some warranty adjustments and they were fabulous to deal with. (Love those accents!)

I liked the machine so much I have ordered a new one. This time, it will be non-self cleaning since I never did that anyway and natural gas instead of LP. I had a 36"x27" VAH over it, at 30", and will do the same again only with a 24" this time. A compromise, but we're running out of time and the shallower hood is n stock. (Lots got put on hold when things went to hell and now I am struggling to catch up.)

• astroboy30
    15 years ago

If you've ever bought a return item of any sort, you know that there are all sorts of stories involved. This could have been a model used for a TV show and they returned it and claimed a dent on the side, or any such matter. They are selling with a one year warranty, which is better than you'd do on other items like this. I was at their warehouse on Friday and they had items like this at deep discount as well as brand new items like a 305ss for $2,600.00.

If you still have questions, I'd call them up. They're very helpful.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, both of you! I'm liking what I'm seeing and trying to figure out now how to adapt our current hood situation. It's a Zephyr Cyclone, 650 cfm which I bought on purpose to be strong enough for later. I think it doesn't really quite make this, but then again I don't think I could use the wok and be cooking on more than one other burner at the same time anyway. We might have to shorten our upper cabinet. I will do it, if I can get a decent price on it. And astroboy, that's quite a price on the new one...food for thought...

amy, I plan not to use the self-clean either--read too many times that that was what caused the demise of control-board ovens. Not that this is constructed similarly, but I think I'll just not chance anything. A little elbow-grease never hurt anyone and hey, it burns calories :)

• astroboy30
    15 years ago

I think the range was last year's model because the knobs are one color, not the two tone. I also think the price was $2,799.00 but it was completely new with the pans and all the burners were taped.

They also had a cool DCS ES30, out of the box for $899. It had some fingerprints on the hood (pledge, anyone?) but looked like a good deal. I think the opening is 8" but it was really nice.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't care about the color of the knobs unless there is a significant difference in the functional specs...I may call them tomorrow...thanks very much.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, decided not to bid on it, since it would involve an LP-NG transfer in addition to shipping, and I wasn't really looking for self-clean (wouldn't use it--scared of it now that I've researched more). IT went for a *very* good price, IMO, for someone who wanted LP and self-clean -- just a little over $2400.