Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP! Hood / Blower Problems at Install

Posted by motherof3sons (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 23:34

We purchased a 36" Independent hood that required a 1200 CFM blower per the online specs. Our builder states he can not install the hood/blower because the instruction sheet states it should be a 1000 CFM blower and it has a Moxel connection. Before I purchase another blower can this be salvaged? Is there an adapter for the different connections? The Wolf blower has a 3 prong plug.

I live in a very rural area and this type of ventilation is a first for the builder. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! Hood / Blower Problems at Install

Too little information for remote electrical engineering, however sufficient information might be difficult for you to obtain from inspection.

Does this hood have a three position switch for fan speed, or is it continuous from full power to low?

Was the connector possibly a MOLEX connector?

Is the fan intended for in-hood installation or roof installation?

I recommend that you contact Wolf and Independent on this problem. At a minimum Independent should be able to define what type of fan circuit is required to work with the hood and Wolf should be able to define what the fan is intended to use.

My Wolf hood (made by Independent) has a variable control that is wired to the Wolf (made by Broan) roof blower. No special connectors were used beyond normal electrical connectors electricians would be familiar with.

kas

o

contact dennis at signature marketing he can handle all of your independent blower needs 800-358-8886 ask for technical support

o

Thanks to both of you! The Independent hood does have 3 speeds and a Molex connection. The Wolf fan is for inhood installation. The company website we purchased the hood from continues to state it requires a 1200 CFM inhood fan, however, the instructions state 1000 CFM.

o

Since neither fan will actually move that much air once installed, the particular cfm ratings are not the issue here. One issue is how (or whether) to wire the fan up to the existing hood control. A second issue is whether the Wolf fan mounting scheme is compatible with the hood.

Normally, mix and match hood-fan configurations are more compatible when the fan is mounted externally of the hood. Internal mounting would normally call for a particular fan intended for that purpose. This leads to the question of why a hood intended to use an internal fan was not sold with the compatible fan.

kas

o

Thank you Guadalupe! Dennis is wonderful and I am on the right track.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here