Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Novice cook - Appliances HELP!

Posted by Redsgal14 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 12 at 23:29

I'm quite the novice cook, so I don't need anything fancy. But, we are building a custom home and are choosing our appliances and I want it to be beautiful (with the hopes that my cooking skills will improve along the way). We have a stone surround that will go around the range/rangetop. I was originally planning to go with a 36" range (Kitchenaid or NXR) but I currently have double wall ovens and am worried I will miss them (I love them). So, now I'm thinking about a 36" rangetop with double wall ovens. Do you think the rangetop will look ok with a stone surround (or do we need the impact of a range)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Novice cook - Appliances HELP!

There are threads that discuss the merits of wall ovens vs. ranges, and it's up to each person to decide what s/he likes best. But if you know you love your double wall ovens, you should get them. I think it's important to choose function first, then design the beauty around it. I prefer wall ovens, so I chose a double wall oven and an induction cooktop. Many people choose wall ovens and gas range tops. I think it will look fine. If you put drawers underneath the cooktop, it's very convenient for your pots and pans. With induction, I can also have a drawer full of implements and knives right underneath. Maybe you can do this with gas, too(I don't know about gas, sorry).

o

I have to agree on an induction cooktop. Many top ranked chefs now have induction kitchens Your design choices or wide, but the ventilation requirements are significantly less than gas.

Although, prior to opening Dinner, Palmer-Watts's experience of induction was limited to portable single hobs at the Fat Duck, it was the power source chosen for the suite. "I chose induction for its control and efficiency," he says. "It's not bellowing out heat and is more precise and so easy to keep clean."

Here is a link that might be useful: London Restaurant Kitchen

o

Some get a 36" gas range and a single wall oven. I think it would be the ideal set up for me. But it takes a lot of space and $$.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here