Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
congers_gw

Samsung FD Fridge Water Pooling Problem

congers
12 years ago

I have a Samsung French Door fridge, RF2666AERS/XAA that has an annoying problem.

Water is pooling under the Cool Select Pantry Tray and requires pulling out the tray to empty by wiping down. Also the water can be completely frozen at times requiring it to melt with a warm sponge to empty out. I attached pictures of the problem.

I do not have a water supply line connected to the refrigerator. This occurs whether E.Saver function is ON or OFF. Also Power Cool or Power Freeze is not used. I keep the fridge at 36-summer and 38-winter and the freezer at 4 degrees.

You actually have to extend the tray out and look underneath with a flashlight to see it. Has anyone checked or have this similar problem? It happens in all seasons ... winter through summer.

I did email Samsung Support and they told me it's out of warranty by 6 months. All they would do for me is provide the name of an authorized Samsung service center. Picture provided below.

http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee404/congers/?action=viewät=SamsungFridgeWaterPooling.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (49)

• congers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Are there any Samsung refrigerator owners out here?

• chac_mool
    12 years ago

My Samsung counter-depth FD fridge has been running here for about a year now, model RFG238. I don't see anything like what Conger describes.

Also don't use the E Saver button, and seldom use Power Cool or Power Freeze. I've left the temperature settings at the default 38 and -2, all year.

Sorry; I've got no ideas about this problem.

• ww340
    12 years ago

I have the same issue. I have not tried to do anything about it yet, because my house flooded just a few months after the refer was installed. We got it out before the flood, but just put it back in this week.

I probably have no warranty at this point either, as it has been several months of drying out and rebuilding.

• chac_mool
    12 years ago

The water stain in congers' photo makes this look like a long-standing problem; perhaps it begins before warranty expires and is discovered later on. But when I looked in my RFG238 model, that area was dry and clean.

WhiteRiverSooner, can you say which Samsung model you have, and how old it is? I'm not clear if the water pooling is specific to congers' model (or its vintage), or if its a more general issue.

• ww340
    12 years ago

I will try to look at it tomorrow. I am not in the same place that the refrigerator is located right now.

I bought the refrigerator new last summer. I know I do not have any stains like those shown, because I just cleaned it from head to toe this weekend. However, I did have water pooled under the cool select pantry, after being plugged in for just a few days, and I had noticed this before the flood.

• congers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

On the official Samsung Support site (Trouble Shooting Guide) they have this problem listed and am aware of it. It's listed below but with no explanation. Alot of help this is.

TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE:
    Problem: Water is Pooling Under My Vegetable Drawers

Answer: If water is pooling underneath your vegetable drawers, your refrigerator requires service.

• chac_mool
    12 years ago

Yeah, that's not very clear. I'm sorry.

But I wonder if you can argue that this is a known issue. Since your photo of the water stain (above) seems to indicate that this initially began during the warranty, perhaps it can be covered under warranty. Is there a way for you to escalate the request for warranty service?

Failing that, I am curious what the underlying problem is here. Please let us know what happens, and what you find out.

• theywontgrow
    11 years ago

I have now developed the same issue! I am also about 6 months out of warranty. Has anyone been successful at fixing this, figuring out what the problem is??

Might this be a known issue that should allow us to get support out of warranty??

• SarahK73
    9 years ago

I have the exact same problem with my Samsung RF267AEBP. Manufactured in 2010 I've started having this problem after owning it for a year after I bought the house it came with. I had a repairman come out and he was stumped after 2 hours of looking it over. I read somewhere that the drain plug can get frozen and needs thawed out. I aim to try this as soon.

• Charity Silkebakken
    9 years ago

I've had the exact same problem for a couple years now. I've been living with it, but the water has pooled high enough to leak out and do damage to the kitchen floor, so that's not good. I finally decided I had to do *something* when the upper ice maker started dripping inside the fridge, too. I have now established that this is a separate issue. So, first of all, this video helped me with clearing the drain plug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6I6YV6zHy0

I have an old Kenmore in the garage that had the same problem, so I had experience with exposing and clearing the iced-over drain plug, so this was not a foreign concept to me. This video is great because it shows exactly how to remove all the shelves and the panel, for this model, too.

I have not pursued the recommendation to replace the defrost sensor, but I suspect that would be a good idea to prevent it icing over again. I had the same problem that you did, with ice forming in the back and under the cool select pantry drawer.

The ice maker turned out to be very easy to remove -- there's a great YouTube video for that, too. It probably needs replacing because it had been making a funny sound. I found it completely iced up inside. After replacing it, I still had water leaking there, but have temporarily turned off the upper ice maker and that seems to have stopped the leaking. I will try replacing it and see if I still have the problem, but I suspect that will resolve it.

One more thing -- if you see dripping from the water dispenser, Samsung does recommend running some ridiculous amount of water (5 gallons I think) through there every time you replace the filter ($60 every 6 months for a new filter -- wtf Samsung?) Since we are experiencing drought in California and I hate to waste water, I didn't want to do it, but have since learned that if you DON'T do this, you can have air bubbles in the line which cause too much water pressure and contribute to the dripping. So, OK. I try to save what I collect through the drink dispenser for the washing machine, garden or aquarium.

Hope this helps!

• dougstanger
    9 years ago

Google "samsung refrigerator lawsuit" . There is a class action suit filed against them. Your model may be listed. Mine was.

• djhenley93
    8 years ago

I found the answer to my samsung refrig having ice under the crisper drawers, its not a sensor problem, all you need to do is wrap a small piece of copper wire around the heating element lowest point near the drain, and extend it about 1 inch down into the drain , it will get hot enough to keep the drain open when it goes thru the defrost cycle. it does freeze up and overflows into the section under the crisper drawers,

• dadoes
    8 years ago

Common problem. Some manufacturers provided a service kit for that fix but it's easy enough to DIY.

• lisakramerart
    8 years ago

We've been having this same problem for a long while now. We finally broke the drawer, yanking it open (to break the ice). We've also had issues with the door flap not closing, causing the ice to freeze in clumps due to thawing. Model: RFG297series

• eshmh
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My LG had the same exact issue. I thought, at the time, it was due to we often open the fridge doors for too long. I just manually do the defrost overnight. It turned out that it was caused by too short auto frost time so that the ice could accumulate on the evaporator and eventually invaded into the fridge through the vent, and the ice could melt there and form the pool. LG had an updated firmware to solve the issue, so they just put in a control board with the new firmware.

I noticed the fan in the fridge compartment was getting a bit louder over time. Since the warranty was near the end, I requested a service just in case. LG sent a technician over. The noise was not too bad, but he decided to replace the fan anyway. Then I briefly mentioned the ice issue, which he picked up right away. It was a known issue for my model. Obviously the fan noise was caused by the ice buildup too, as it blocked the vent.

• bethhernly
    8 years ago

Have the exact same problem. The problem is the fresh food evaporator plate, defective design..Samsung has a replacement for the plate with a different design but won't stand behind the defective part. They claim they know nothing about a problem. Solution...have your refrigerator repaired 250$ then sell it on Craig's list and never buy Samsung again.

• parkvilletom
    8 years ago

Does anyone know how to remove the coolselect pantry drawer--or if it can be removed? Manual says to pull it out, tilt up, and pull straight out. I tried this and it doesn't budge. I am worried about breaking something if I pull harder. Also can't seem to figure out if the crisper drawers can be disassembled for cleaning, if anyone knows how to do that? Thanks

• jjshore
    7 years ago

Never buy Samsung appliances!! They are trash. Ours is freezing under the drawer also. After threatening a lawsuit we finally got a three year old rusting door replaced. We were told it was cosmetic. It was cosmetic alright! They do not want to take responsibility. Does anyone know how to find out if their model is listed in the class action lawsuit?

• sallycrooks0
    7 years ago

I'm having the Same problem in the Deep South. First I thought it was cause of the humidity here... But now I don't believe so. I looked at the picture, all I can say " what water stain"mine is huge compared to the picture. I'm going to take some of ur suggestions and see if that will help. All I can say is after removing my deli tray then the ice block I still have enough water I'm able to use an extra plush large towel to soak up the water. Good grief Charlie Brown.

• disney1236
    7 years ago

Same problem with model RF 263 AEWP which I purchased from Lowes May 2012. Started about 3 weeks ago. Awoke and found a large pool of water on the wood floor in my kitchen. Prior to the water leaking out of unit the pantry select door was freezing and could only be removed with a large effort. Now I remove the drawer every two days and mop up the water with a large bath towel. I called Samsung and they said turn off the energy saver (no effect) and then check unit for level. They said they would email leveling instructions but I never received it. They said if leveling does not work I'll have to call for service. I think I'll check into the lawsuit if it's still ongoing. Meanwhile I'll keep mopping up the water.

Does anyone know what the service cost is?

• chareve1958
    7 years ago

UGH! Samsung is No Good! We had the complete Samsung Kitchen Pkg. Everything broke, leaked, quit or was loud. My Son just "inherited" these…my husband was ready to drop them off in the parking lot ( big box store)…but these were "newer" than his existing appliances. Now he tells me the FD fridge has water in the crisper drawers!! BUH!

• Connie Dye
    7 years ago

I have the same issue. Ice under the pantry tray in my Samsung RFG297AABP has been going on for as long as I can remember. Now water is dripping from the ice maker and there is a pool of water when I removed the pantry tray. Called Samsung and the guy said to unplug fridge for an hour to defrost the drain plug. More than an hour later...still a block of ice frozen where the tray goes. I hate this refrigerator. It's the most expensive piece of junk I've ever owned.

• monthomas
    7 years ago

Oh my gosh I have just found this thread and can't believe people have been having this issue for 5 years and it's still ongoing. We have model number SRF752DSS (double French door) which came with the house we bought a year ago. I'm not sure when the previous owners bought it and if it's still under warranty. I had started to notice lately that the fridge section didn't seem that cold. Milk was going off days before the expiry date. Actually I had noticed some time ago that the dairy compartment didn't seem that cold but I didn't do anything about it. Then recently I also noticed some water inside the cool select pantry, which I had to keep wiping out. Then I also saw there was ice in the twin cooling vents in the back. Today I took all the food out and put it in our spare Fisher & Paykel fridge in the garage and I turned off the fridge and cleaned it out completely. There was so much water pooled under the cool select pantry. I had to use a container to scoop some of it out before mopping the rest up with a cloth. How it didn't leak out I don't know! It looks like the ice in the vents has finally thawed but I notice there's still water collecting under the pantry! I have no idea where it's coming from. Tomorrow morning I was planning to turn it back on to see if it worked ok. I will have to find out from the previous owner if it's still under warranty and get someone out to look at it. I'm so annoyed as it's two weeks before Christmas and I can't use the fridge! It seems this is a big problem with Samsung so I can definitely say that if we buy another French door fridge it won't be Samsung. I'm in NZ. I see there's a class action against them in the US. I will report back on what happens with mine.

• zed635
    7 years ago

I have an RF265 French door refrigerator. The first problem I had was that the defrost drain in the refrigerator compartment was plugged with ice. There was so much ice that the area behind the fan compartment was so iced up the fan was blocked. I called a repair company and it took them a long time to melt the ice so they could remove the panel. Once they did they installed a metal clip on the defrost coil. The clip extended into the drain hole. The idea being that when the defrost cycle came on, the clip would heat up and keep the drain open. It worked.

I am still having a problem with the fan area icing up. Another repair involved installing a new, larger drain for the crisper area. That worked for about two months and then the icing problem returned. I think the next step will be see about relocating the defrost sensor near the fan.

• PK Lele
    7 years ago

I have the same problem with RF261BEAESR (manufactured in May 2013), found water pouring on floor. Managed to get samsung cover the diagnostics cost. The samsung authorized appliance technician said that they were given training about this issue and without even checking anything in detail he could say that the defrost timer needs to be replaced. He also mentioned to replace evaporator cover and leakage (drain pipe etc) kit with it. Parts = $250 + Labor $125 + taxes. I wasnt going to pay another $400 on this piece of crap. The defrost sensor on amazon is only $7: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Refrigerator-Defrost-Sensor-DA32-00006W/dp/B001DPPR5O

I didnt find other components, so if anyone has link to those as well as some instructions/video to replace them DIY, that would be great.

• beth hernly
    7 years ago

Samsung appliances are awful. Have them in 2 homes. Handles broke on both microwaves and door latch on one, ice under cool select pantry, could never repair and samsung wouldn't honor warranty, stainless doors on both dishwashers beginning to pit and rust, stainless on French door refrigerator staining, looked awful, in addition to icing problem...finally replaced that refrigerator with an LG..beautiful stainless, easy to clean, ice maker reliable..couldn't even sell old Samsung but glad it's gone

• kjsherrod
    7 years ago

I have Samsung model#RF18FENBSR and been having icing issue under crispers 3 years in March. I've had dealer out that I bought it from and Samsung has even sent a repairman. Nothing has helped every morning it's iced up again. Now my Samsung oven has caught fire. Repairman coming this week. Can't wait to hear what this is! NEVER BUY SAMSUNG ANYTHING. Worthless cheap appliances. All a POS!!! I bought refrigerator stove dishwasher and microwave in February 2013. Refrigerator started this 1 month after warranty went out! Absolutely worst appliances on the market.

• beth hernly
    7 years ago

Finally got rid of our french door refrigerator, could never get problem repaired, Samsung wouldn't stand behind it, don't ever buy Samsung appliances, junk

• sdabney
    7 years ago

Beth, which LG did you wind up buying? I will never buy another Samsung refrigerator again. Thanks

• fmergl
    6 years ago

just started having this water accumulation issue under the Flex Control Zone on our 4 door refrigerator. Every 3 days we have to remove the drawer and remove the water, otherwise it will flood the floor.

It is still under warranty, and the service technician yesterday said that he has seen this issue, has replace all the damper parts and it did not fix the issue. We are still waiting on the repairs, and if it cannot be repaired, Samsung should replace the refrigerator..We'll see.

• Jim Spring
    6 years ago

Here is the solution. Worked for me https://youtu.be/B4QaIJWD5Ns

• dc9jetthiele
    6 years ago

I have a Samsung RFG237 AARS FD. I would have water pooling on the bottom shelf of the fridge which would then freeze causing the bottom draw not to slide out. There has been no evidence of water leaking from anywhere. Recently, after cleaning out the ice after it being only one or two days since the last time I had completed this exercise I saw the humidity level slides and moved them from extreme low humidity to the middle of the scale. I also changed the selection found on the lower right side from Deli to Chilled. Since I accomplished these two steps there has been no water collecting and consequently no ice forming on the bottom shelf on this fridge. For what it is worth...

• hturak
    5 years ago

I have the same problem with water freezing under the pantry tray. Asked Samsung for help and they said it probably was not leveled correctly and sent me instructions. 3 years later after being leveled correctly once a week I have to remove the pantry tray and chip away the sheets of ice that have formed so I can slide open the tray. I don’t have an ice maker or water coming into this refrigerator. Will never buy another Samsung product

• E Wirt
    4 years ago

Wow, I am late to the party but same issue. My first and last Samsung appliance.

• Leigh Harms
    4 years ago

I have the same issue with my Samsung. I'm so bummed because I like it otherwise but if they've known this has been an issue it's really wrong that they didn't fix it

• scottie mom
    4 years ago

Ah, memories! I was so glad when my Samsung finally kicked the bucket for good :-) For anyone still suffering, I used to leave a small towel in the bottom, which made it easier to remove the glacier that would perpetually form under the bins. And every so often, I would pull the bins out and manually defrost the d@mn thing. For real. That involved more towels, but it was oddly satisfying and limited the surprise puddling on the floor. Then I would remember that it’s the 21st century and I’m sitting in front of a refrigerator with a hair dryer pointed at it. Ugh.

Very happy with my Fisher and Paykel!!!

• Brenda Coen
    3 years ago

Didn't realize so many people were having this problem too. Thought I was doing something wrong.

• HU-384936837
    3 years ago

Wow! I feel so relieved reading all of these painful horror stories... thanks to all who shared over the years. I thought that I too, had done something 'wrong': flooded shelf floor, temps not at shown/set 34°F but new digital therm shows 52°F,
    ice cube maker turned off montgs ago (trips to get bags of ice with groceties is norm/added expense),
    and iced-over 'twin cooling' vents at top of interior back wall. (Samsung will try to plant that notion you screwed up 'leveling' or in general somehow, rather than admit they have several, very known issues aside from specific Class Action in mediation - so don't bother wasting your time unless in Warranty/need paper trail).

Purchased with 'dream' house... Model RF263BEAESR (that doesn't matter either! ALL are apparently garbage!) Their motto seems to be 'profit as much as possible, regardless of cost and pain to consumer, until USA /others force us into accountability. ' Thankfully they do not make cars or airplanes!!

Thanks to everyone taking time to share tips, as on a Saturday night and knowing my pool of appliance techs won't be avail for days or - even ultimately - able to fix... grateful to you leaving meaningful fixes. Before buying my copper... Breaking out the old gnarly beach towels, powerful hair dryer, and lots of bags of ice! Party! Hand me a blender... Braun preferred LOL Thx again guys!

• HU-910583866
    3 years ago

I had leakage into the fridge under and into the crisper drawers as well as it started leaking water into the freezer below to the point that we couldn‘t close the drawer to make a seal. That caused a lot of frost. I replaced both defrost clips to the ones that extend further into the drain to prevent freezing of the drain lines. I still had a small amount of water in both compartments. It then hit me, I never checked to see if the fridge was sitting level. Turns out my fridge was sitting on the wheels, so not level. I cranked both sides up to just above level to keep water from coming forward out of the drain tray. Crossing my fingers that that works. The clips did need to be replaced because of freezing, but my initial problem could have been just not leveling the fridge. Don’t make my mistake, start with leveling.

• Regina Arlotto
    3 years ago

yep, chiming in to say we've had this same problem for years with our Samsung FD purchased new in 2013. Have had the tech out and he vacuumed the back out and claimed that a broken hose was the main problem. Now two months later, the ice sheet has formed again underneath the wide cool pantry drawer. Would love to figure out what the problem is and have it fixed permanently.

• Karen Rowland
    3 years ago

Same problem with water freezing under cool select pantry drawer. Bought Samsung model rfg298hd with ice maker and water dispenser. Issue started last week so leveling will not fix this issue since its been working fine for 8 years. Sounds like only fix is to buy different fridge. Did anyone have luck looking into the lawsuit?

• Debbie Harris Biller
    2 years ago

Same problem. We've had the fridge 4 years and it started about 3 months ago. It's disheartening to know that Samsung doesn't stand behind this known problem. Model #: RF28HFEDBSR. We will try the fixes that are suggested - thanks for sharing!

• Patsy Maguire
    2 years ago

Same exact problem. I bought mine 8 years ago. A year ago I called a service man, he got it to stop ($200) after several visits (replaced sensors, mother board, etc.), and less than a year later, I'm having issues again. Top of the line. I am replacing it. After reading everything I've read here AND talking to others, this is the worse appliance out there. I wish someone would do a class action law suit...count me in! I called another service man and he said he won't touch it. He told me I could find someone to fix it but if I were smart, get rid of it and never buy a Samsung refrigerator again. Of course I won't. I'm going to start shopping tomorrow. I just hope it holds up until I can buy another one (I have to ring the water build up from under the tray every few days). I hear there's a 6 week delivery wait and appliances are hard to get right now, refrigerators in particular...I'm not sure if this is true or not?

• HU-697395675
    2 years ago

I bought my Samsung in 2017 and one month after warranty expired the ice maker had problems and I had it fixed but only for a short time. Had replaced the ice maker and it still freezes up. Now it is leaking water and sheets of ice under the pantry tray. I will replace it soon. samsung Needs to be accountable for their bad products.

• Frances Lunney
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Join this page on Facebook, they have lots of information/advice. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1520337151601316 . Samsung Refrigerator Recall USA Now

• HU-225171444
    2 years ago

HATE THIS FRIDGE. WATER COLLECTS IN BOTTOM OF FREEZER AND I NEED TO EMPTY FREEZER TURN OFF UNIT AND CHIP AWAY ICE. UGH TOO MUCH MOISTURE IN FRIDGE SPOILING FOOD. UGH

• HU-125833015
    2 years ago

siteweb@lambertavocatinc.com

Has class action suit ongoing at this time.

• HU-125833015
    2 years ago

siteweb@lambertavocatinc.com

Class action lawsuit against