Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sayrevillenj

Help with gas range selection

sayrevilleNJ
10 years ago

We are looking for a 30 inch freestanding gas range and narrowed down our choices to two -

GE cafe

Samsung 710BGS or a new one below

We also saw this http://www.samsung.com/us/appliances/oven-ranges/NX58F5700WS/AA on Samsung website, but no reviews are available anywhere. We cook a lot and oven use is relatively less.

Appreciate your insights.

Thank you

Comments (4)

• bpollen
    10 years ago

I've had a freestanding Frigidaire gas stove & oven for about 8 years it is, I think. I've liked it a lot. 5 burners w/one power burner. It's solidly built, sturdy.

I had a Whirlpool freestanding gas stove before the Frigidaire. It was fine, but didn't feel as sturdy as the Frigidaire.

My thoughts on the stove, for my next one: I would prefer a dual stove w/electric oven. Gas doesn't get things as crispy and it seems to take longer to cook. I also know that I don't really need a power burner, and the small burner is useless to me. I just need the regular 4 normal size burners, although I LOVE have grates across the whole top, so I can move a pot over out of the way w/o having to move it over to another burner spot.

When I was shopping and looked at GE stoves, they didn't feel as solid as other brands. Lighter weight. But that may no longer be the case, and I may not have looked at Cafe.

• shannonplus2
    10 years ago

Bpollen - if your food isn't as crispy or takes longer to cook, that is not because your oven is a gas oven, and not electric. That is a function of the oven quality itself. Don't advise people to avoid all gas ovens because of your personal experience with your 8-year-old Frigidaire. My friend is a chef in a very high-end french restaurant in New York, studied in Switzerland, apprenticed in Paris, and you know, he specifically bought an all-gas range for his home.

Also, converting from all-gas to dual fuel means an electrician has to come run a line for the electric oven, an added expense, and electricians are expensive.

By the way, you may want to replace your oven's ignitor if things are taking a long time to bake or roast. Ignitors all wear out after a while, it's normal wear and tear, and 8 years is a long time to go with an original ignitor. It is not an expensive replacement, and if you are handy, you can buy the ignitor on the internet and replace it yourself.

To the OP, I am wondering why you must have a free-standing range. The reason I ask is that the back panel on a freestanding range cuts in on your usable cooktop space and crowds your pans. If you get a slide-in range instead, you will have the full depth of the rangetop to use for your pans. In any case, I advise you to read threads on this Forum; there are quite a few that give advice at different price points for all-gas ranges.

Recent Thread about 30" Range

Thread with Pics of Freestanding vs. Slide-in Range

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Gas doesn't get things as crispy

I have a good gas oven, Capital, and a good electric oven Gaggenau.

I find the opposite to be true when it comes to meats. Particularly poultry skin.

I don't know how the Samsung steam clean oven works. Is there a water tank ?

GE has a good history with regards to ranges and ovens.

Samsung does not have much of a track record yet.

• bpollen
    10 years ago

Gas ovens vs electric - crispiness. No, it's not my oven. I'm in my 50s and have experience using both electric and gas stoves and ovens, as well as electric and gas home heating.

It is well known that gas heat is less drying than electric heat. The drying aspect is what is needed for crispiness. (You can look this up on the internet.)

I didn't say I couldn't GET crispiness. It just takes a little longer. This is true no matter what brand of gas or electric stove a person has. Gas stoves are great. That's why I bought one, and the one before this one. But all fuel forms have plusses and minuses.

As for ignitors, no I don't need new ignitors. I don't cook that much anymore. My stove is operating properly.

My next stove, though, I will get gas top and electric oven. That's why dual fuel is offered...some people prefer the drying action of the electric heat.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling