Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sub Zero water/ice in door reliability...

Posted by shannonaz (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 22:42

So, we have always avoided buying refrigerators with water in the door. They are less reliable etc. We have liked and used the filtered water inside the frige. I don't love the looks of the water in the door either.

We just spent all summer with GE Monogram 42" with water and ice in the door and we sort of got hooked. It also makes sense in the desert to NOT open the fridge for 20 seconds every time you need a drink of cold water.

We plan to get a 48" SZ or similar and we are considering getting water/ice in the door. Are they less reliable? Is it just the water/ice part that breaks driving up likelihood of those units needing some sort of repair?

The Monogram in our summer home is 6 years old and needs an $800 repair that isn't the water or ice so that is playing a part in my thinking. The repair guy I use (who I have come to trust for what it's worth) doesn't think there is a huge difference between the different buit-in fridges but thinks they are all a little expensive to own. I guess that would be it's own thread :)

A Sub-Zero or equivalent is standard for homes in the new neighborhood so that is influencing our decision a lot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sub Zero water/ice in door reliability...

We are looking at the 48" SZ built-in with the ice and water inside the fridge as the exterior ice/water is at least $1000.00 more. Trying to get info as well. It's SZ vs KitchenAid....Would love to know if anyone owns either and opinions.

o
RE: Sub Zero water/ice in door reliability...

Is it really $1000 more? I haven't done detailed pricing, just ballpark! The last time I was at the appliance store I was trying to decide between 42" and 48" and I was surprised by the small price difference. I think I assumed water would be the same. I am not sure I want to spend 1k for water in the door...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here