Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannonaz

Sub Zero water/ice in door reliability...

shannonaz
11 years ago

So, we have always avoided buying refrigerators with water in the door. They are less reliable etc. We have liked and used the filtered water inside the frige. I don't love the looks of the water in the door either.

We just spent all summer with GE Monogram 42" with water and ice in the door and we sort of got hooked. It also makes sense in the desert to NOT open the fridge for 20 seconds every time you need a drink of cold water.

We plan to get a 48" SZ or similar and we are considering getting water/ice in the door. Are they less reliable? Is it just the water/ice part that breaks driving up likelihood of those units needing some sort of repair?

The Monogram in our summer home is 6 years old and needs an $800 repair that isn't the water or ice so that is playing a part in my thinking. The repair guy I use (who I have come to trust for what it's worth) doesn't think there is a huge difference between the different buit-in fridges but thinks they are all a little expensive to own. I guess that would be it's own thread :)

A Sub-Zero or equivalent is standard for homes in the new neighborhood so that is influencing our decision a lot.

Comments (2)