Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danieleise

Over the range microwave with higher CFM fans

danieleise
16 years ago

anyone have any experience with over the range microwaves made by either Samsung or Panasonic? I don't usually think of them as the brands i would turn to for microwaves, but they seem to be some of the few makers who offer an OTR microwave with 400 CFMs. I live in an NYC coop and cannot vent outside, so the hood will have to be recirculating - i realize this is far from ideal, but it's the best i can do given the circumstances. I am leaning towards a more known microwave brand like GE, Whirlpool, or even Jenn-Air or Bosch, all with 300 CFM fans, but i am tempted by these ones with higher power. I have read that higher CFM microwaves have tradeoffs, but not sure what they are...

Comments (4)

• asolo
    16 years ago

If you're recirculating, you're pretty much doomed anyway. Even if you weren't, the OTR microwaves are a poor substitute for the "real thing"...meaning a large-capture vent hood with serious air movement. Suggest focusing on the microwave's features and not worrying much about the fan. Most of them in outside-vent mode aren't very impressive. In recirculation mode, they're practically worthless. Better, now that they have enhanced filtration available, but still practically worthless.

I have a late-model GE that vents outside. Believe spec is 300/400...something like that. At least the "boost" mode is 400. It's a noisy joke. Microwave works fine. I was considering a Panasonic for the same reasons you are. Distribution network in my area for Panasonic was so poor and unresponsive, I went with GE rather than continue my search/hassle.

• chckandco
    16 years ago

We got the Samsung 7177 at the start of the year and love it! The new Consumer report does too, so I am happy. It is vented directly outside the wall it hangs on, so does not represent your scenario, but the 420 CFM fan moves a ton of air!! More than my previous vent hood that did 360 CM. The door to outside is right at it and it will literally blow your hair away. Having recirculating will negate most of that because all you will do is filter it. Most of the post here are from people who think that anything but a high end vent hood is useless, but we can't all have the situation or the money for the perect thing. Do check out the Samsung; it's not pricey does a fine job and looks good. Outside venting is the hitch.

• verysleepy
    16 years ago

Hi there. We also live in a NYC co-op and cannot vent out. In addition, we bought a Bluestar range that is very powerful. Above the Bluestar we bought the Prestige Proline recirculating hood, and it does a good job- BUT.... about 5 ft away, we installed a Whirlpool Velos under a cabinet, and above a countertop. We chose the Velos because it is a microwave, speed cooker, with convection and steam. The extra bonus is the fan underneath, which to me, is the most powerful fan I have seen on an over the range appliance. On boost, the air really gets sucked up. So... if you are in the market for an advantium type appliance with a great fan- you should investigate the Whirlpool Velos. It is not small however- but unlike the Advantium, it opens on the side. Therefore there it is no problem to have it at over the range level.

• steljoe
    16 years ago

I am currently renting an apt. w/ a galley kitchen while my reno is taking place. It has a GE recirculating microwave & it's awful. It takes all the hot air & blows it back in your face so cooking is unbearable, particularly in that closed space during the summer-ugh! It is much better just to keep it off.
    I am installing a recirulating Sirius power pack inside an cabinet in my new kitchen. We have high ceilings so it will vent up through the top of the cabinet & into the space so hopefully that will work better.