Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannonaz

Wall oven that maintains low temp?

shannonaz
11 years ago

I currently have Fisher & Paykel double ovens that work beautifully for almost everything. They have a low temp option but they cannot maintain a low temp for more than a two or three hours so I can't use them for yogurt or dehydrating. I have had a tech out and talked to them about the issue. The light stays on etc. and even if I set the oven to 100 degrees it eventually climbs to 200 and beyond.

I have so loved my ovens that I don't see a very good reason not to get them again in the new kitchen but I wanted to explore this topic. Anyone have or know of an oven that can maintain a low temp for many hours? My oven is "supposed" to be able to do this but does not, so browsing manuals may not tell me what I need to know...

Comments (8)

• sea_koz
    11 years ago

The Electrolux wavetouch wall oven has a "dehydrate" button but I have no idea how good that is.

• barryv_gw
    11 years ago

I haven't checked on regular electric ovens, but looked at the combi steam convection ovens recently, and a number of them discuss making yogurt in their owners manuals. The Viking VCSO244ss which is being discontinued, but is still available, says to steam at 105 degrees for 5 to 6 hours. The Gaggenau steam convection has a description of how to make yogurt as well in its manual, though the price of Gaggenau may really blow your budget. The Thermador manual shows that it has several settings that go as low as 85 or 95, depending on the function. I think the Wolf and Thermador are around $3,500, the Gaggenau is more.

• barryv_gw
    11 years ago

Sorry, hit post too early. While I haven't checked them, a number of electric wall ovens have a proof setting, that should be around 90. Though normally you wouldn't spend 5 hours proofing dough, I would think it could hold 90 degrees all day long.

• wekick
    11 years ago

I have the Electrolux regular oven and it has
    proof 85-100 degrees. W/ fan
    Dehydrate 100-225 W/fan
    I have used the dehydrate extensively to dehydrate food and to dry art projects.
    There is also a defrost setting but it does not have the ability to set temp.
    It will run on these settings for 12 hours before it shuts off. That is some sort of safety thing on these settings.
    I will run it with my oven thermometer and let you know the actual temperature swing.

• jadeite
    11 years ago

Another vote for Elux. We have the wave-touch and have dehydrated about 40lbs of apricots with it. We set the temperature to about 200 F after losing patience with it after 6 hours at 160F. We ran it all night and it did a great job. It also has the bread proofing mode which I haven't used.

Cheryl

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Our wolf e series says proof at 85 degrees but haven't tested it...
    Just turned it on to see what it does.
    Wow - maybe I need to dehydrate some of my peaches! Do you take out the pits first?
    I tried to dehydrate cranberries once - well, turns out you need to needle them or they will not dehydrate!

• shannonaz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, thanks for the feedback. Elux owners: does the interior light stay on? I think that is one of the reasons my ovens keep getting hotter.

Gemini-what did your test reveal? Too funny about the cranberries; I think the tough exterior is why they "keep" so long! I am always surprised how long my fresh cranberries stay good!

I adore my F&P ovens. I may buy them again and buy a dehydrator if/when I need one. I am not sure it's worth getting a different oven since I use the F&Ps everyday to great delight and I only dehydrate once in a while. I certainly don't want to buy different ovens and have the advertised proof/dehydrate feature not work well...

• jadeite
    11 years ago

My Elux light goes off when you close the door.

Cheryl