Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with fridge/freezer decisions (cross post)

Posted by Mavers (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 22:16

I have gone to numerous appliance stores and looked on-line for photos and tried to figure out what we'll need in the future, but I can't settle on a firm answer so thought I'd post here.

The situation:
- new home build
- can choose any size fridge (counter or full depth too)
- have a walk in pantry near the kitchen (10 - 15' away?)
- family of 5 (3 young kids - growing, obviously!)
- likely going to spend about $2000 - $3000 on fridge/freezer options (considering Samsung, KA, FP, others?)
- lots of Costco shopping, with some small grocery store stops (probably shop once a week at each)
- would like to start buying more 'bulk' meat to freeze
- don't use a lot of ice, will have treated water at the sink, but only one sink; can't decide if we want water/ice in the door even!
- can't really get a sense of how much I'd miss a freezer in my kitchen??? Anyone have this? Are the all fridges good quality?

Possible scenarios and combinations:
1) Huge french door refrigerator in kitchen, nothing in pantry (possible freezer in basement)

2) French door fridge in kitchen, bar fridge in pantry

3) French door fridge in kitchen, stand up freezer in pantry

4) All fridge in kitchen, stand up freezer in pantry

5) Some other combination - could put chest freezer in basement, etc.

Please give suggestions as to how to know what size of fridge is adequate!?!? And any other thoughts...

So many decisions with building a house and this one is taking the cake so far - I've been researching for months and keep coming up short of a final decision.

Thanks!
(posted in Kitchens too)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with fridge/freezer decisions (cross post)

I like option 4.

Frigidaire Pro All-Frig in the Kitchen

and

Frigidaire Pro All-Freezer in the Pantry.

I would dismiss the idea that you must strictly adhere to convention for the sake of resale value.

That refrigeration combo is a very efficient use of space and potential buyers will see that.

That is the perfect combo for bulk buying at Costco.

The only negative I see is having your ice-maker in the pantry but you say you don't use much ice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here