Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark_g_gw

30' Warming Drawers -- Any Differences Among the Brands?

mark_g
15 years ago

You are all such a lively bunch on this forum, so I hope you won't mind more brain picking!

Our new country house will finally... FINALLY get the warming drawer I have always wanted. When we took cooking classes our teacher used a small one to preheat dinner plates and keep an occasional platter ready to go, while other students finalized their dishes. That functionality, coupled with the cool temp we keep the house (esp in winter), make a warming drawer more than a frivolous luxury.

So orig we spec'd a Wolf 30", then just changed to a Viking 30" (most of you can probably figure out why).

Is there another brand of electric 30" warming drawer we shd be considering?

BTW, Green Demolitions in Bethel (they have other locs too), was chock-full of all-SS Viking warming drawers when we were there last month -- there must've been 200, most priced around $500. So spending $2K for one does seem frivolous!

Thanks for feedback for what we should do.

--Mark

Comments (12)

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

I give...what is the obvious reason...cost? Not being sarcastic here but I don't know that we priced the Viking at all. We got the Wolf WD and love it. Some swear by the ones that have moisture control but we have no complaints with the Wolf. We matched it with their wall oven and they compliment each other well as a single tower unit look. Wolf actually has a MW/wall oven/WD tower combo that coordinates well but it leaves the WD about 12 inches off the floor which, to the objection of our little spaniel who would have loved a floor level warm food source, we wanted the WD at a higher level so we did a different MW set up.

• cpanther95
    15 years ago

Price is the only reason I could think to go from a Wolf to a Viking.

We're also getting the Wolf WD.

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

Cpanther, then as a follow up to the response I left at the Wolf/BS post, have you considered the Wolf 30 inch wall oven and WD combo as a tower look and a BS 36 range top. That way you get the best of what you are leaning toward. Married to a 36 inch oven? You know Wolf makes it, it is a grand looking unit (but so is the Gagg) but I don't know how well it coordinates with the WD in the tower look. Is a 36 a huge advantage? I had one and did not find it to be. It is indeed huge, took forever to preheat (but that was the gas range unit) and I rarely cooked any 2 separate things at the same temp. I generally found the extra space in the 36 inch oven as just that...extra but not often utilized.

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

To qualify my above post too, I did not find the 36 inch oven to be a huge advantage but that was based on my cooking habits. I know I have read many here who love the 36 inch oven option b/c of things that are very important to them not the least of which are certain commercial size pans that will only fit in the 36 inch ovens I believe.

• cpanther95
    15 years ago

breezy:

I'm pretty much in sync with your observations. We are getting the 36" for the stove top capacity, not the larger oven. I really wanted wall ovens, but even though our kitchen is a decent size, the way it is sectioned up, there really was no practical place to put a full height/depth column without sacrifices we weren't willing to make.

If I did have room for the column, I'd likely have gone with a double oven and scraped the WD entirely (even though we'd likely use the second oven more for warming than cooking).

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

Then consider mounting the wall oven under your cook top. you may still need to go 36 inches to balance it with the range top but it still gives you a mix and match option. And hey, even though we know size doesn't always matter, another 6 inches could come in handy!

When we first started designing our kitchen, Wolf and SZ were the front runners alone and I thought nothing was more attractive than the Wolf 36 inch wall oven. But then as I consulted this and other GW forums I let GW posters broaden and influence my choices. This led to looking at both Gagganeau andf Miele as well, both of which are equally attractive. The great thing is that these are not just pretty faces either, they are very highly rated. Of course the BS factor came into the picture early and the rest is the reuslt of our end product we call our kitchen. Our kitchen has Wolf, SZ, BS, Prestige (ventilation), Bosch and Sharp as the main and visible appliances. There is no mismatch look to it IMO at all. For the most part, our choices were performance and availability based first but when performance was ruled a tie, choices turned next to look. Those choices were made based on look alone and not manufacturer.

We did consult with early on but elected not use a KD either. They are fine but I found the unlimited open and and objective (very objective at times) opinions and views expressed on the various forums of GW to be much more valuable in the utimate design and finished product of our kitchen in the long run.

• cpanther95
    15 years ago

I only wanted wall ovens because I wanted 2 ovens. Compared to mounting a wall oven under a stove top, I'd much prefer the look of the 36" Wolf range.

Does anybody know if the Wolf WD comes with the stainless steel containers/lids pictured in their literature, or is that an upcharge?

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

Its about a $200-250 upcharge. I got talked out of it and I am glad. I think arranging dishes around in the unit is much more effective although the container system is pretty cool looking. After 6 months of using it, if I had the container system, I cannot remember a time I would have probably used them.

Also, if you did not know already, the SS interior is a liner that comes out as a whole unit. Pretty nice option if you have a major spill!

• cpanther95
    15 years ago

Yeah, I guess the thought of nice containers full of a variety of items is appealing, but only makes sense if you have a variety of different items to warm.

I assume plates of food will be the vast majority of our usage. I'll put off getting the containers for a while.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Hint....put your warming drawer as close to your range as possible. There have been several threads over the past few months on the Kitchens side asking if WDs were worth the $$$. It seemed that those who placed their WDs near their range where it would be easy to take things from the range/oven & put in the WD used theirs much more & were happier with them than those who placed them across the room--including those in an oven stack.

• cpanther95
    15 years ago

I've noticed that as well. Mine is planned for the cabinet immediately to the right of the range.

{{gwi:1459440}}

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

Mine is the best of both worlds buehl... its in the wall oven tower/stack but the stack is within 30 inches of my range. Actually, I specifically designed my kitchen to have a cooking wall (or cabinet run) so to speak. Everything cooking is in a main line of cabinets with the range in the center, the wall oven/WD tower to the right and the MW drawer to the left...either are a step and a half away. Directly behind the range is the center island with a prep sink and ref drawers. I actually prepare a lot of things I am cooking (especially seafood that needs to stay really cold until use) and put them into various containers. These go into the top ref drawer for easy access as I am cooking. Although I have a pretty large kitchen, once you get set up, you do not have to move around a lot or very far while cooking. Sorry! I am drifting.