Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soylentgreen_gw

Appliances for Non-cooks' Dream Kitchen?

SoylentGreen
10 years ago

Hi All,

This is my first post to the forum (my apologies if this is in the wrong place).

I would like to start by saying that I do not cook. My current stove is used as storage and the only appliance that I use other than a coffee maker is a microwave.

I want to learn to cook as I believe it will make me and my family more healthy. Right now I have specified the following:

30" Miele Oven
30" Miele Warming Drawer
Miele Speed Oven
Gaggenau Steam Oven
Gaggenau CX491 cook top

I don't want to over do it but I also don't want to build this kitchen and feel like I am missing an appliance.

So my questions are:

1. Do I need the speed oven or would a Miele microwave be enough?

2. Should I spend the extra money for the Gaggenau steam oven over the Miele? I have heard that the steam oven is generally the most used appliance. I like that the Gagg is plumbed.

3. Are gas cook tops more desirable than induction? I have a gas line but with the new kitchen design it is a bit of a pain to get it over to the new cook top ....would it be a mistake for resale purposes to not bring it over and cap it at cook top area?

4. Is it bad that most of these appliances have electronic controls? As odd as it sounds I am worried that these controls will detract from the sense of occasion and my enjoyment when cooking.

Thank you for your help!

Comments (9)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

1) Most people ask if the speed oven is enough or do they need a MW. IMO if you use a MW a lot then you want a separate MW.

A speed oven uses conventional heating element plus microwaves to give you the speed of MW but give the food the texture of a conventional oven.

Nobody needs a speed oven. Is it worth the price depends on how much time you have to cook. Do you get home at 6 pm and need to get things done ASAP or do you usually have enough time to leisurely make dinner?

Or do you simply want the ability to cook quickly like make cookies in a few minutes.

2) I would spend the extra money on Gagg steam oven because I love that it is plumbed too. It depends on how you cook whether it will be the most used appliance. The steam oven can be used in place of a MW and can reheat without drying out leftovers. The Gagg oven can also be used without steam as a convection oven.

3) That question can unleash a flame war. In general most people prefer gas to induction and have to be "educated" about induction. Gagg full surface induction is very good and as time goes by a greater percentage of people will know about induction. I think most people would prefer a gas line at the cooktop area but won't make a meaningful difference to resale value.

4) You have all electric appliances how are they not going to have electronic controls? If you had gas cooktops and gas ovens you could get mechanical controls but with electric there is not point.

Only you could know what will affect your sense of occasion and enjoyment of cooking.

• SoylentGreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your reply.

1) Okay it makes sense to get rid of the speed oven and just get the Miele Microwave as speed is important to me. I believe both the Gagg Steam oven and the Miele 30" oven will do convection so I dont think I am missing anything by not having the speed oven.

2) I will keep the Gagg for now...hopefully I can get a discount on the current model if I dont have time to wait for the 400 series at the end of the year.

3) Okay I wont bother bringing it over.

4) I just mean things like knobs and flip switches. For instance the non touch screen Gagg induction cooktops have this really cool magnetic knob that is much more pleasant to use.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

My assumption was that you were getting the Miele oven and warming drawer to match the speed oven in a stack.

Since you are not getting the speed oven I would get the Gagg convection oven and warming drawer.

I really like my Gagg oven's side opening door and the fact it has an air cleaning catalytic converter to remove grease from the air before exiting into the kitchen.

As a bonus you get matching handles and finishes.

There is really no benefit to buying a $1k plus microwave from Miele or Gaggenau other than matching appliance doors.

Have you looked into a MW drawer from Sharp? About $505 off of ebay with 30 day warranty or Home Depot for $800 with 1 year warranty.

You did not mention dishwasher. This is the one item I would definitely get from Miele.

• SoylentGreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like the Gaggenau oven however the side opening door does not work in the area I have designated for the oven. Also the majority of the appliances will be hidden when not in use so I am not too worried about things not matching...although I admit matching is nice.

I know it is silly to buy a Miele microwave when it is no doubt made by an Asian company like Panasonic. The Sharp microwave drawer is cool. Is it better than a regular microwave mounted up higher?

As for the dishwasher I have selected the top of the line Diamond model from Miele...I am curious though about their ProfiLine model that is supposed to be their fastest dishwasher with more powerful pumps (although no claims about it being ultra quiet).

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I am going to give a different opinion.
    Based on your current cooking style(ok lack of)
    I would keep a speed oven in the mix and get a convection/regular oven.
    I would nix the steam oven on this round.
    Induction would be a good option for you as well as long as you have the right pans or willing to buy them.
    I use my speed oven a lot- great way to reheat pizza with a crispy crust plus much more!
    The warning drawer is optional- the speed oven can double as a warming oven.
    Great choice on a DW - I don't know about the pro line
    And I would recommend a vitamix or blend tech to top it off.
    I am a terrible soup maker but my vitamix makes me look like a pro!
    Now to get you signed up for cooking classes!
    Usual iPhone text errors!

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Is it better than a regular microwave mounted up higher?

I think the ergonomics are superior and that seems to be the general consensus around here. Also made in the USA while most MWs are made in random Asian factories.

It can also be installed underneath an oven. My 24" MW drawer is installed underneath my 24" Gagg.

As for the dishwasher I have selected the top of the line Diamond model from Miele...I am curious though about their ProfiLine model that is supposed to be their fastest dishwasher with more powerful pumps (although no claims about it being ultra quiet).

I think it is quite silly to spend twice what the Diamond cost. It does have an effective 23 minute cycle but are we running a Bistro? Will it be usefull to have that quik turn around. Yep, no claims of a Q rating.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

I would pass on Swiss Diamond. Even the induction version is cast aluminum. This will make it tough for the induction cooktop to recognize the pan at low settings.

Mauviel M'Cook 2 is a good option for non-stick induction.Made in France from spun aluminum with an impact bonded induction base. I would get an 8" skillet/fry pan for single servings of eggs and a large sauté pan for things like cheese sauces. How large depends on family size. Beginners hate making mac'n cheese on SS.

For other pans I would look at Demeyere Atlantis which is made in Belgium. Browning and carmelizing on nonstick is a futile undertaking.

Cast iron specialty items from Le Creuset are also very good. I have a Dutch/French Oven and the non-stick square grill pan with panini press that I use for great grilled cheese sandwiches and fish( but not with the press)

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I have one of almost everything.
    I would pass on non-stick except for maybe an omelette pan or 2.

From there - it depends on your budget - your kitchen is high end (especially for a non-cook and hope you really don't have any Soylent Green in the house...) so you can go a lot of directions.

All Clad, DeMeyere, Culinary Institute of America, Staub, LeCreuset, Calphalon, Scan Pan etc

I grew up with non-stick pans - there is a learning curve but they work better and you aren't eating all of the coating - they all wear off even if they aren't supposed to wear off.

I have 2 non-stick pans - one is a small scan pan (they make regular and induction) and the other is a larger CIA that came in a small set.