Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refrigerator Panels $1700?

Posted by portconway (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 22:00

We are working on our kitchen design and have already purchased our appliances. They are paid for, but not delivered yet. We chose a paneled refrigerator by Thermador. I learned today from the cabinet maker that my panels for my refrigerator are going to run $1781 (3 panel doors for french door frig with freezer on bottom.) The panels are almost as expensive as the frige!

I was told it was because the Thermador Doors and made to be fully integrated which is a more complex refrigerator door. Is this true or just an excuse for being gouged? Anyone with experience on fully integrated paneled refrigerator doors?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refrigerator Panels $1700?

You are not being gouged ,

and Thermador Freedom French door fridges cost $7000 !

Each of those panels are going to take 40 min to an hour EACH to install on the fridge too.

o

DELETED

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 14:45

o

We have a Thermador single door paneled fridge. I can't access the information right now, but might be able to later today (the cost of the panels themselves). I will tell you that the doors are quite complicated to install, and it took our very good contractor at least a half-day to get them done. Still glad we did it - they look great!

o

We installed a SubZero in our previous home in early 2008. We paid $1000 for all of the panels (we had a 736 series, so 1 large 36" panel for the refrigerator and 2 smaller, rectangular shaped panels for the 2 freezer sections). It was a spec house we bought, so the local custom cabinet company that builder used made the panels to match (the cabinets were dark stain - no special glaze, etc.). This house was on the gulf coast of AL and the cabinet company was from Gulfport, MS - I'm sure prices would probably be different in other parts of the country. The $1000 did not include installation - we paid someone else install.

o

Bumping this. Any recent integrated and paneled refrigerators out there in GW land? Wondering about the cost difference between purchasing the stainless panels or having the cabinet maker make a panel for it.

o

I don't think it has changed much in the 6 or so months since it was posted. The cost is going to be about the same, or maybe higher things don't tend to reduce in cost with time.

As for the cost difference between SS panels and wood I can't say for sure, but I think SS might be cheaper to make if you can find a place to do it, but with labor it might push it just as high. And if you are going to do SS panels why would you want to go fully integrated at that point, kind of a waste of time and money unless your cabinets are also SS.

Phil

o

We paid $1900 for custom fridge and dishwasher panels. We thought it was expensive given the cost of those panels compared to the cabinets but, we wanted that look so we paid it.

o

We did our 42" SZ SxS about 18 months ago. The SS panels at the time were right around $1k. We paid about $1600 for custom panels for both the fridge and the DW (fridge was ~$1200), I don't recall if that was installed or not.

o

If you think you are being gouged maybe you can't afford a upgrade of this caliber. Good is not cheap and cheap is not good.

o

Agree with the rest of crowd--not being gouged. There is a lot of precision required to make those panels fit perfectly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here