Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rroo

Electrolux Induction slide in range?

rroo
11 years ago

Does anyone have the Electrolux Induction slide in range? This is one of the ranges that I am considering and am looking for opinions. Thanks!

Comments (48)

• mjher1
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Actually, I just spent a long time on here TODAY researching info on that. Do you live in Canada? If so, go to Sears and it is on sale for $2999.99-regularly $3699.99! Did you do a search? I can't remember the name of the post, but there is a lot of info on here about it. I think I'm going to get it.

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

Several threads here on this range, which initially came out in spring of 2010 or so. The model # is EW30IS6CJS ; search posts in this forum using that. See link below to one thread.

I've had my E'lux induction range about 20 months or so now; its been fine. This range's closest competitor is probably the GE induction range, announced maybe this past spring. Not sure if there are many units in actual stores, as yet, but there is a very thorough thread here on the GE induction range as well.

Other options include a Viking (more expensive, but with knobs) and something by Samsung.

Here is a link that might be useful: a recent thread on EW30IS6JS

• rroo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! Can anyone who has this tell me if it is smudge proof (like the Frigidaire Gallery appliances)?

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

I don't see this "smudge proof" feature mentioned in the E'lux's induction slide-in range's description on AJ Madison's site.

It is mentioned there in the description for a Frigidaire hybrid range model: "Real stainless steel with a protective coating that reduces fingerprints and smudges so it's easy to clean." Other brands may have something similar.

No idea what this is, or how well it works. Contact Frigidaire / Electrolux to ask them about it. Don't see why they can't add this to any stainless steel product, so perhaps they will extend it to additional models in time.

There are some threads here about cleaning stainless steel; perhaps those will be helpful for you.

• Fori
    11 years ago

For smudges, you just need to go to a store and smudge them.

• angiebangie
    11 years ago

I'm also looking into getting one of these in the next few months (before Thanksgiving), but am weighing purchasing from a local or nationwide store and paying sales tax vs. ordering from an online retailer (aj Madison) and paying no tax. I am also comparing the extended warranties. Sears has ridiculous pricing on their warranties which makes all of their sales pointless.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

Internet sales taxes are coming soon. I think Amazon (?) has already started to collect them.

• angiebangie
    11 years ago

Yes, I'm in Texas. We just started being charged taxes from amazon last month. :(

• barjohng
    11 years ago

I purchased one last year for my beach vacation rental in Galveston, I really like it and so have my guests. It probably gets more use than most homeowners would give theirs as my vacation rentals are usually for 10 people. Easy to care for and works very well.

• angiebangie
    11 years ago

Awesome! Can I get info on your rental? We usually stay at the Sheraton across from Pleasure Pier.

• Kelli Culpepper
    11 years ago

I'm just a moment's notice from ordering a new range. I was dead set on the Electrolux induction slide in. It's so expensive, thinking "do I really need it" but I love to cook and we entertain a lot but I got all wishy washy and then decided on the GE Cafe sort of slide in. I LOVE the knobs. I was totally decided, then for some reason I was in an induction blog and it went on and on about the easy clean up and now I'm completely confused. As much as I want an induction cooktop I really would love double ovens too. Thinking of Thanksgiving and casseroles. That's mostly it except of Christmas of course. I have all of the good cookware so that's not an issue. Don't mind spending the money but the reviews run hot and cold. Any input other than put on my big girl panties and make a decision? My perfect induction range would have big red knobs....I'm just sayin...

• Bree2
    11 years ago

One of the reasons I am drawn to this induction range is the second oven in the bottom of the range... but I wonder how well it works for baking, especially for layer cakes. Any opinions on this?

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

This lower oven has an interior height of about 5". So it works better for re-heating a frozen pizza than for layer cakes, unless they are really flat.

• attofarad
    11 years ago

Bree2, reports on the bottom oven have ranged from mediocre to poor. I still haven't installed mine (maybe by end of year), so cannot give you direct experience. I figure mine can probably bake a few things, and also be used as a warming drawer.

• Bree2
    11 years ago

Oh, that is disappointing. I was hoping it might do as a smaller second oven for baking desserts while cooking the main dish in the upper oven.

The upper oven is a bit smaller than a full-sized range oven. The rack measures 15 inches x 22.5 inches. Have you found that has been restrictive at all?

I am still debating whether to go with GE Profile which has a larger oven and a larger 11 inch hob on the induction plate. Electrolux's largest hob is only 10 inches. But I like the Electrolux!

Any & all opinions/ insights will be welcome!

• Bree2
    11 years ago

How does the upper oven perform for baking? (I do a lot of baking, and want even heat

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

Several recent reports say the upper oven is excellent. The problems with the bottom oven are: (a) apparently it runs off 120v rather than 220/240v so it functions more like a countertop oven; and (b) it is pretty shallow. Upper oven does not have those problems. Sorry that I cannot find the links, but try a search on electrolux + induction + convection.

• Bree2
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback; I do appreciate hearing from you experienced folks.
    I haven't yet found very specific reviews of the ovens; I see a couple of mixed reviews... those that say both ovens work well, and those who found the lower oven too hot with element too close to bottom of food, and those who found temperature fluctuating too much in both ovens. (One reviewer complained that his/her mashed potatoes were lumpy & grilled cheese was charred and totally blamed the Electrolux Range! How can you blame lumpy mashed potatoes on a range?!) One reviewer mentioned the hobs were very size-specific on the induction plate, and found this limiting.
    There may not yet be the perfect induction range with two ovens; I guess I will just have to take the plunge and put up with any shortfalls along the way.

I have used a portable induction plate for some time now, and find it is the "go to" burner of choice in our household. The only drawback is that it only has 6 settings, so to "simmer" means an on & off cycling, rather than a steady simmer. I look forward to having a more finely tuned range top.

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

Warmfridge was the poster here who had problems and concerns about her E'lux induction range. Some of those problems may have been related to hers being a very early model, perhaps built soon after the March 2010 release.

As I recall, one issue with baking in the lower oven was that its diagonal heating element burned stuff directly above it. A pizza stone alleviates this some, but reduces this oven's very shallow height further. I don't know if its 120 or 220v. It is barely off the floor.

Another issue has to do with expectations: When people buy this range expecting a warming oven, they're happy; when they expect two full featured regular ovens, they're not.

A better solution may be to get a separate oven, such as the Miele (or alternate) speed oven, to use in addition to, or instead of, the main oven.

I'm very happy with the E'lux range. Its main oven is excellent, and allows you to adjust its temperature if that is ever off. But it does take time to pre-heat (a reason we use the Miele more often). Not sure how pre-heating time would compare with the GE, of course -- this clearly relates to oven size.

• Bree2
    11 years ago

chac mool
    Your advice is most helpful, thank you!

I have a Krups convection toaster oven for those times when the main oven is tied up with bigger things, but the small oven size is a problem for baking cakes & muffins; I had worried that this might be a problem with the lower oven in the Electrolux range, too. Your message makes vey good sense: If we expect one thing and don't get it, we are disappointed... but if we don't have the expectation, we are happy!
    It is also very reassuring to know you have found the main oven to be a stellar performer.
    I've pretty well decided this is the range for me, based on so many good reviews overall. And if the lower oven just can't do the job, I'll have to look for a separate wall oven.

• Bree2
    11 years ago

I found that thread you referred to, re 'warmfridge'. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: warmfridge link re electrolux range

• Bree2
    11 years ago

Is 50 amp or 60 amp power (for the Electrolux Induction range) better?

• attofarad
    11 years ago

>> Is 50 amp or 60 amp power (for the Electrolux Induction range) better?

The recommended breaker is 50 amps. You can make the wire larger to decrease the voltage drop, especially if it has a long run from the breaker to the range. Even if the wire can handle more current, they still recommend a 50 ampere breaker.

• Bree2
    11 years ago

I admit I don't know enough/much about electricity!
    If I understand, it sounds like there would be no benefit to installing a 60 amp breaker, then, and I should go with 50 amps.
    I did wonder because I had read that the induction elements are paired & share power at times... I wasn't sure if increasing amperage would help them run more optimally??

I'm knee-deep in renovations right now, so it is a good time to be accommodating any electrical changes! :>)
    ...and I have to upgrade from my old stove's 40 amp breaker anyway...
    thanks!

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

"I did wonder because I had read that the induction elements are paired & share power at times... I wasn't sure if increasing amperage would help them run more optimally??"

No. Tell your electrician that you need a 50-amp circuit. He'll do the rest.

• Bree2
    11 years ago

OK, will do... and thank you!!!

• westdale
    11 years ago

Those of you who have the Electrolux now, how do you like it? I've almost decided on it for the upcoming reno, but i'm going to check out induction stoves at a B&M tomorrow.

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

FWIW, we're still happy with our E'lux induction range here. Induction is still very cool. There are more choices around now than 2 1/2 years ago, though.

• Bree2
    11 years ago

We are more than pleased with this range. I would never go back to electric or gas after having induction burners. They respond instantly. And, the stovetop is SO EASY TO CLEAN!

I like the unit so much that I will be looking at Electrolux's line of refrigerators once we are through our renovation; I think they've done really well with the design features & function of the range so I suspect they have done equally well with their refrigerators! We'll have to wait & see on that one...

• westdale
    11 years ago

Thanks Bree2 and chad_mool! I'm going to check out induction ranges today.

Chac_mool mentioned there are more options now. I wonder if any stand out...I should probably start a new thread. I didn't see any recent threads that mention recent options.

Thanks to both of you!

• Bree2
    11 years ago

Re induction cooktop options: the ultimate induction surface is one that does not have defined cooking areas... i.e., no hobs. You can place the pot anywhere on the cooktop surface & it will be detected. Lovely, but expensive!

• julieboulangerie
    11 years ago

I've had this range for about 6 weeks. I've gotten over the initial learning curve that I complained about (turning the hobs on was taking me awhile!), and it's awesomely responsive to my wishes, doesn't stay hot as long as electric cooktops, and the oven have some nifty features and does a pretty amazing job at bread crust (important to me).

I agree, there are more choices out there, but this is still the mid-priced winner. (Low price being the regular Maytag induction ranges, and high being the Viking, etc). I shopped for a long time, and bought it for under $3K at a local appliance store.

• julieboulangerie
    11 years ago

I would like to add that my only issue with the range top is that there isn't a smaller hob up front instead of two large ones. I do a lot of cooking with a 1.5 qt All Clad sauce pan, and it only works on the back right burner. I'm adjusting... slowly.

UPDATE: As soon as I typed this, I thought that I should try it again. This 1.5 qt actually does work on all hobs. I'll attribute it to the learning curve.

This post was edited by julieboulangerie on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 15:01

• westdale
    11 years ago

Good to know. Thanks Julie. BTW, is that your real last name or do you love to bake? ;-)

@Bree2-I checked out a Thermador without the hobs and it's sleek. Unfortunately, the cooktop is way out of my price range.

I also looked at the Electrolux and I'm torn. I really like the induction but the touch controls i wasn't too thrilled about. I guess it's a matter of compromise. The easy clean up is so appealing as well as the responsiveness, but I really like the look of knobs so I started looking at gas too. I guess I'll continue to research since i have lots of time.

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone!

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

I'd like to add that the E'lux range looks good after ~2 1/2 years of daily use. It looks new, with No scratches or other scars of age. Can't be sure, of course, but I'd guess the top of a gas range (or an electric smoothtop) might not look as new after that time, and either would require much more effort to keep clean.

Its good to have time, Westdale. I'm curious what you didn't like about the E'lux touch controls?

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

I'd like to add that the E'lux range looks good after ~2 1/2 years of daily use. Looks like new, with no scratches or other scars of age. Can't be sure, of course, but I'd guess the top of a gas range (or an electric smoothtop) might not look as new after that time, and either would require much more effort to keep clean.

Its good to have time, Westdale. I'm curious what you didn't like about the E'lux touch controls?

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

Sorry for the double post. Not sure how that happened...

• julieboulangerie
    11 years ago

You probably know this, but Viking makes an induction with knobs (see luv2putt's thread), and Frigidaire makes a slide in hybrid with knobs, varying price points and looks. I thought I would miss them, but I don't. I was so used to "throwing" a pot of the stove, and automatically turning the knobs on the previous range that it did take me awhile (see learning curve, above). But know "we" understand each other and I know what to do.

The username is a nod to the baking, as well as my somewhat useless minor in French in college...but I had a great time in France doing it. Lots of bread, pastries, cheese, learning how to use French appliances (the microwave combo oven always confused me a bit!)

• Bree2
    11 years ago

Re knobs vs touchscreen...
    Like you I would have chosen knobs over the touch surface--partly because knobs &/or dials were what I was use to, but also because I did love the look of ranges like the Viking, with knobs... (yes, esp. the red ones!)

However, now that I have switched over, I would never go back. It is just way too easy to keep the surface clean. It also seems less "clunky" touching the controls than turning a dial... I wouldn't have predicted this.
    I like traditional & classic designs over modern ones every time, so this choice in a range was out of character for me; there were however only a few induction ranges & even fewer in my price range, so it was either go traditional and do without induction, or go with the Electrolux slide-in range. Once I got over the modern "look" of the range and the electronic touchscreen, and once I got used to the ease of adjustments on the touchscreen, I was won over. Wouldn't turn back!

Can't promise you will feel the same, though... it is really a very personal decision.... If you could try one for a few weeks or so, that would help make the decision; but it is pretty unlikely you can have access to one for a few weeks prior to buying!

Giving up my favourite non-magnetic pots was a hurdle for me at first, too. But once again, I like using the induction cooking surface so much now that I am reconciled to doing without those few pots/pans.

One other note:
    the glass surface has maintained its pristine appearance, but I do have a couple of scratches on the stainless steel wraparound rim; one of us must have inadvertently dragged a cast iron fry pan or stockpot a wee bit across the rim at the front, or maybe just rested the pan on there and lifted it off with a bit of a slide... no big deal, but those slight scratches are the only sign that the unit has been used at all.

In an ideal world, I would have chosen a larger oven. Like a lot of the convection ovens, the fan at the back takes up an inch and a half or so, which means the oven racks are a bit shallower than in my old oven (which did not have convection)...my old cookie sheets just fit inside the boundaries of the Electrolux racks.
    Ovens bake more evenly when there is lots of extra clearance around all the edges of the baking pans (convection or not). It has not been a problem so far and (may never turn out to be one), but I do think the centre cookies on my cookie sheets do not get as much heat as in my old oven. If I could have purchased this range with a deeper oven, I would have.
    I'm picky about oven & baking results though, so lots of people might think I was nuts on this aspect! I find there is indeed a difference between baking cookies with convection & baking the old-fashioined bay (crustier on the surface & chewier centres than with non-convection); I still prefere cookies baked without convection, and most people would not agree with me on this, I suspect! ;>)

The lower oven works really nicely for casseroles and baked veggies, etc. I don't use it for baking cakes or cookies... things that are at more "sensitive". But, it is very handy to use the smaller oven for roasted veggies, while the bigger oven is in full swing with other things.

• Bree2
    11 years ago

Forgot to mention that while I agree with the others about having a smaller burner at the front, I've come to the conclusion that the layout Electrolux chose makes sense. Each & every day, I use a small saucepan numerous times and have to put it on the right rear hob...not as convenient as at the front! But on the other hand, I do find having the larger burners at the front makes it a lot easier to handle the tossing & stirring of contents in a big fry pan or stock pot. It would be much more difficult to reach the larger pans at the back of the stove, and keep everything in the pan! So on balance, I would have to agree with Electrolux's design setup... having the bigger elements at the front of the range makes more sense if you can't have 5 hobs. (With a 5th small hob on the cooktop, you could have it centre front... now, that would be the perfect mix!

• westdale
    11 years ago

Thanks for your feedback Bree2 and julieboulangerie! Ironically enough, I usually like the modern look but I've always envisioned that my new kitchen would have a powerful range with knobs. Then i found out about induction and it threw all of that out, except the knobs!

I actually didn't get to try the stove at the store--I just got to look at it and I guess i didn't know quite what to expect in terms of the controls. I would love to have the Viking with the knobs, but i suspect that's beyond my budget. I'm glad to hear that both of you can speak to having no regrets--only a learning curve.

I don't bake all that much so I'm fine with the oven's size. I did see some earlier posts about the front part not fitting correctly and I did notice that on the floor model. That isn't a deal breaker for me but at least I'm aware of it and I'll be on the lookout.

I agree that French is not too useful here...now if you lived in Canada that would be a different story. But I minored in French too.

• Bree2
    11 years ago

Rest easy, there is really not much of a learning curve with this range... I found it to be very intuitive and did not need the manual (except to learn how to do the specialty oven settings). I had used a Frigidaire induction single burner unit prior to purchasing the range, to get acquainted with induction; but the single burner unit does not have nearly as many heat adjustment levels... so I was happily impressed with the even-better performance of the range... performs as responsively as gas, and you can fine tune it to the "nth" degree (harder to do on the single burner unit because it only has 6 heat adjustments.)

OK, I've gone on far too long about my opinions on this range, but hope it is of some help in your weighing of the pros & cons. Good luck!

• Chatsworth
    10 years ago

I'm a bit confused... I had seen and priced the Electrolux slide-in last fall (Nov 2012) and the model # that I was given was EW301F60IS . Last week I went to the same local appliance retailer intending to order one and was told that Electrolux has discontinued the slide-in induction ranges and now only offers the built-in version.

According to this retailer the only slide-in induction range now on the market is the GE Profile.

• julieboulangerie
    10 years ago

"Built in" and "Slide in" are the same thing, and it appears that's the only range available from Electrolux.

Free standing is the one with the back on it. More than GE make them- Maytag has a model for sure (and the other Whirpool lines), as does Samsung. Unless those were discontinued in recent weeks as well.

This post was edited by julieboulangerie on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 20:00

• aperson1961
    10 years ago

We've had our Electrolux induction slide-in installed since Nov 2012. We love it. The perfect turkey option has been used for two Thanksgivings and it does cook an absolutely perfect turkey. We have used the bottom oven only for cooking stuffing (we don't stuff the bird, but cook the stuffing separately). The induction stove cooks very evenly. We bought a set of Circulon pans at Costco and those work very nicely on the induction cooktop. We have also started collecting some Le Creuset pans, which work well too.

• Bree2
    9 years ago

I have to stand well back from this oven when I open the door--the heat & steam released are quite intense!
    There is a lot more steam & moisture released from this oven than with any other oven I have used. I have trouble with roasted vegetables crisping/drying out enough (soggier results than I'd like).

It doesn't have a negative effect on cakes & cookies, but it certainly does for high-heat roasting of potatoes wedges or tomatoes, cauliflower, etc.

Has anyone else found this a problem?

I wonder if using the convection setting all the time would solve this? I'm not very familiar with the convection option, so don't know if it maintains a drier oven environment or not... any thoughts on this?

• attofarad
    9 years ago

Bree2, I haven't noticed the problem with my Electrolux induction range, but I mostly roast veggies in my combi-steam (with intentionally added moisture). Maybe you could prop open the door a little bit?

• Bree2
    9 years ago

yes, thanks, and I will try that... however, it will mean losing some of the high heat at the same time, so I'm not sure if that will cause the veggies to roast too slowly.

I baked a traditional shortbread cookie recipe (a Cook's Illustrated recipe) that called for leaving the door ajar during the final part of baking (with the oven turned off)--the purpose was to let the excess moisture vent from the oven during the final part of the bake--even so, it was still a bit too humid in the oven to produce the desired effect. Next time, I'll leave the oven on at a higher setting with the door ajar (and I'll also try the convection setting).
    It's a bit tricky when you want to keep the high heat in, but let the moisture out.... as soon as you open the door the oven drops in temperature!