Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ct_rob

Capital Culinarian cooling fan question

CT_Rob
9 years ago

Hi all, I've posted before and gotten some great help from all the forum members, and am hoping to get some feedback from some CC self clean owners.
I have a 48 inch natural gas self clean. 4 burners, grill and griddle. This is actually my second CC, I installed the 30 inch manual clean in our previous home before a work relocation 6 months after install.

My question is about the colling fan for the large oven on the 48 inch. I have been surprised at how early the cooling fan kicks in. After preheating at 350 degrees for 20 minutes the fan kicks on and stays on the entire time and for about 30 minutes after I turn the oven off.
Is this normal? It seems to me to be kicking on way too soon.
Thanks

Comments (28)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I don't have a Culinarian but it sounds normal to me. My electric ovens start the cooling fan as soon as they're turned on and run until the oven cools down to a predetermined temperature.

Most ovens have a cooling fan to keep the electronics cool. That said, I thought the Culinarian did not have any electronics? Why does it even have a cooling fan then?

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    9 years ago

The fan cools a mechanical lock during oven usage. This only applies to Self Clean Ranges.

Sounds about right from a time perspective to me also.

• pumpkinhouse
    9 years ago

I have a 48" manual clean. I started the oven at 4:30 and the fan kicked in a few minutes after preheating began. I turned the oven off at 5:15, and now an hour later the cooling fan is still running. Is there a way to adjust this?

• CT_Rob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was my understanding that the manual clean does not have a cooling fan.

• PRO
    9 years ago

CT-Rob.......The MCR and MCOR series have fans to maintain cool side panels and doors. Due to the reduction in insulation for the larger ovens the ranges have been equipped with fans to maintain airflow through the side panels.
    The 30â and 36â have fans which run on low speed and are almost unnoticeable but the 48â range must use the fan on a higher speed due to the double ovens and additional heat which can be generated when both ovens are on high temperature at the same time.

• lee86
    9 years ago

I just bought a 30" MCOR and the cooling fan is loud and extremely annoying. Thinking about going in a unplugging it. Love the stove but hate that fan.

• alexrander
    9 years ago

Whoa, Someone explain this! Airflow thru the side panels? Is this outside room air to cool the outer skin (stainless panel) ? Why do they do this? And where does the air enter and exit?

On such a big oven why not have an extra 1/4 of dead air space filled with insulation? What do these manufacturers have against insulation? Are the doors also relying on this principle of air flow instead of dead air to keep the outer surfaces cooler?

• DGM123
    9 years ago

I have a new MCOR 30" as well, and the fan is very loud and stays on for a long time. This is very annoying in our small home where it can be heard throughout the 1st floor. I almost regret buying the stove. The fan on my sister's is so much quieter.

Like an earlier poster, I wonder if this can be adjusted.

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

Have you tried leaving the door cracked open a tad to help it cool faster? I figure it is the nature of the beast when adding a "beast" of a range .. heh. I cannot wait to get mine installed!

• Scott
    7 years ago

Has anyone found a way to correct a noisy cooling fan on the Culinarian? Trevor reports in this thread the fan noise as nearly unnoticeable on the 30" and 36". My 36" is loud enough to compete with conversation two rooms over. i will follow up with Capital today. I have not so much as boiled water with it and if the loud cooling fan noise can not be addressed I will seriously regret purchasing this range. It will either have to be corrected or I will replace it.

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

Mine is almost hooked up.. heh, 48"... have not tried it out yet. I'll let ya know next month when we close on the house :P

Post what answers ya get though!

R

• Scott
    7 years ago

Russ, no response to my email to Capital three days ago. A call to the Capital customer service line during business hours only yielded an opportunity to leave a voicemail.

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

I have a name and number I can give you, just not sure I want to post it in an open forum... lol. Are you able to send a message here on Houzz?

The name I have called me directly one day because I asked a few questions and needed answers. He's the "man with the plan" at Capital.

R

• Scott
    7 years ago

Thanks Russ, I sent you message. Anyone else's Capital range sound like this?

• PRO
    7 years ago

sounds to me like the fan blades are off balance

• Scott
    7 years ago

I agree. Capital has the video. Next week I should know what they think.

• jmackie139
    7 years ago

Did you find out anything? I have the same problem with the 48" manual clean Capital Precision I recently purchased.

• diditoo
    7 years ago

Also wondering if you've learned anything. The fan on our 30" culinarian is so loud that my husband has reached his breaking point and wants to buy a different stove. Seems like such a waste of money to do so, so I'm hoping it's fixable.

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

I used the small oven on the 48" yesterday for the first time (I have not used the larger one). Yea, I could hear the fan a while.. but I just figure that is part and parcel with a high end stove.

Curious if the larger stove will have a louder fan. If not, then no big deal. Annoying, sure, but I assume it is needed to ensure the stove properly cools down evenly, so willing to deal with it.

• Scott
    7 years ago

Update on my Capital range cooling fan issue. With the assistance of another member here on Houzz I contacted the focal point for Capital customer service. I engaged with the customer service represenative and sent a video of the cooling fan making a loud noise. It was agreed the fan was defective and needed service and Capital would contact a service repair shop to schedule a time to make the repair. The Capital service representative was friendly; however, here we are weeks later and no service appointment has been scheduled. My intial contact with Capital customer service was before Thanksgiving and as of this date I have not been contacted by a repair company or anyone else to schedule service. I am told today when I called Capital they had left a message with a repair shop which was never returned. No additional follow up was ever made by Capital until I inquired. I didn't find this unusual since my initial contact via email to Capital customer service went unread until I called them two weeks after I sent it at which time they opened the message. Some 11 plus weeks have gone by. Two weeks of this elapsed time was on me due to not having access to the range at a second home to attain the serial number. Aside from those two weeks, Capital has been pleasant but ineffectual in getting anything done. I've not used the range other than test it. Perhaps, I'll love it when I use it. Frankly I'm not looking forward to installing the Capital range hood as I dread the idea of finding it too to have a problem. I would like to be able to cross "get new range fixed" off my to do list. One bit of advice to those seeking to purchase a professional range. Call and/or email customer service for the ranges on your short list to see how responsive the service department seems to be.

• Maureen Andrew
    5 years ago

Thanks for your information. I've got a 48" manual MCOR and although the fan doesn't quake like yours did, it is SO LOUD and stays on from pre=heat to 1 hour after turning off. I've called Capital and the response was "sounds about right". My emails have gone unanswered. Have you (or anyone?!) found a solution to the timing or volume of this fan? Any names or phones #s for Customer Service or service providers would be great! We happen to live in Southern AZ. Thanks.

• janiest
    4 years ago

Anyone figures out how to fix the fan? I have had it less than a week and I cannot stand the noise!!

• Russ Barnard
    4 years ago

I have the 48 as well. Yes, the fan seems to stay on forever, but I really do not notice it at all simply because it is "part of" owning a high end stove, imo. Not defending the stove, just saying the fan is something I guess I get used to, so does not bother me.

There are times I am like, "still on?".. heh.. but only because I happen to be walking by or something at that time.

R

• Scott
    4 years ago

The fan if operating normally isn’t a bother. Mine was not operating normally and had to be replaced.

• sanjay mohan
    3 years ago

I hope this will help others in the same boat.

I have a 48" range and both oven fans burned out within days of each other. I called capital who quoted about 600 USD for part number 82431-DBL (phone appears disconnected if you call from Canada now) and GuranteedParts (440 CAD but didn’t have it in stock).

Eventually I ended up getting it from the company that makes the fans (EmbPapast - part number 55410 82470 - you will find this part number on the fan). They asked me to buy it using this link https://www.ebmpapst.us/en/products/stock_check/stock_check_advanced.php

All the links seem to point to same underlying company which had a minimum order for Canada (100 USD...so I ended up getting 3 fans...one for future use) and had it delivered to me in 3 days. With ovens operational and Nacho/Pizza cravings satiated I did reflect on "would I buy this oven again?" For me the answer is yes partially because when I was searching for the fan, I saw that embpapast makes thousands of fans but the one that capital chose to use was one of the better designs, two speed, very well made and quiet. However, no matter how well made something is, if you need to become an internet researcher on company supply chains to find parts at a reasonable price, I would not recommend to others.

If your fans go bust, I hope the links/part numbers will help in getting you up and running in less than 3 months.

• bruce achiles
    3 years ago

Only problem with the cooling fan is that any odor from the food that is being cooked inside the oven is blown through the front door into the entire house. Rendering the hood useless to suck out any odors. I called Capital about this they said that's the way it is I asked him why does the engineer not take fresh air from the front door area and blow it out to the back of the oven up towards where the hood is . This to me would make a lot more sense. Thus just reversing the flow of air would solve all the odor issues that I'm having.

• andrewfredrickllc
    3 years ago

my mcor36 just started making the oven cooling fan noise. it is a failing ball bearing in the fan assembly. i have had similar noises in automotive hvac fan units. needs to be taken apart and have a new bearing installed.