Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

Which ranges and cooktops have their big burners in the back?

scrappy25
14 years ago

Since my husband and I are 5'8 and 5'4, having a 24 inch deep vent hood at the recommended height above the cooktop or range is going to induce some annoying head damage, I would like to buy one that is max 22 inches deep (or bump the range out). In any case, the front burners would not be covered as well as the back burners by the hood, and I would want have my powerful burners be on the back. Can you tell me which gas, induction, or electric ranges or cooktops have this configuration?(I have not decided which type yet to get). Or other supggestions to avoid bumping the head?

thanks!

Nancy

Comments (14)

• ya_think
    14 years ago

It's been said here that cooking vapors diffuse at an angle of 17 degrees. I don't buy it, but if even if you double that to 34 degrees (or anything less than 45) I'm thinking you'd have less negative impact by raising the hood two inches than by narrowing the hood two inches. So go three, and neither of you will hit your heads unless it's him and he's skipping.

30-36 is what I see generally recommended, so 33 is right in the ball park. It might not catch 100% of your most vicious stir-fry, but my guess is you'll be fine. Stressing the word "guess."

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

I wanted a hood, wife didn't -----guess who won?
    To be honest, I wanted one more for fashion, than function---ya know, maybe one of those burnt copper ones to match our faucett, switch covers and a lite, over the sink.
    Well since I lost, I put in an outdoor unit, on a "Dimmer"--well cuts down fan speed- with a grate above the cooktop.
    doesnt take up any "head space" and that thing sure does draw, even from the front burners, which are quite a ways from the actual vent--even on it's slowest speed. We have a granite backsplash behind the cooktop and really havent seen any signs of grease on it. Only thing I hafta be careful of is pushing the slider all the way to "max", more than likely, if I did that , both dinner and me would be out on the patio where it exausts to.
    Anyway, short end of story, ya don't need something to "Crack your head against" to get performance.
    Ours is "Outta Site and Outta Mind (well head) anyway!!
    Good luck with yours!!!

Gary

• Buehl
    14 years ago

My GE Profile electric cooktop (PP962SMSS) has the largest burner (3 options) in the middle. There are two 7" ribbons on the left side (w/a bridge b/w them) and a warming element in the upper right & second largest (2 options) on the bottom right. The burners I use the most are the largest one and the 7" one on the upper left...so they would all fit under a shallower hood.

BTW...I'm 5'10" & DH is 6'5" and neither of us bump our heads on our 24" deep hood that's mounted 30" off the cooking surface. My head is pretty much at the same level as the hood & I have no problems.

• eandhl
    14 years ago

DCS has one big in back, one big in middle and one big in front. The back and middle are well under the hood.

• idrive65
    14 years ago

My 24" deep hood is mounted about 32" above my 37" high counters, so 5'9" off the floor. I'm 5'8" and dh is 5'11", we have no problems. I have a Capital GCR305 gas range that extends out into the kitchen quite a bit compared to a drop-in cooktop where you stand right up against the counter, so take that into consideration when judging headroom.

My largest burner is in the center, but all the burners are pretty powerful.

• margareta_mi
    14 years ago

Induction - many 36 inch cooktops have the biggest burner in the center. Among 30 inch cooktops GE Profile/GE Monogram have the biggest burner right front and Thermador/Bosch have the biggest burner more center back.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

All 6 of my burners on my 36" Capital are 19,000 btu.

• parrym
    14 years ago

I'm 5'9", put my 22" hood 33in off the stove and don't have any issues with hitting my head. I duck a little to see in a tall pot in the back, but it's not a issue for me.

I have a blue star range and had one of the 22k burners moved to the back right position to better capture the steam/smoke. I use it for stirfry and also boiling big pots of water.

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lots of good info about both cooktops and hoods, thank you! If I raise the hood above 3-4 inches (to 33-34 inches above the cooktop), that might work well for the 24 inch deep hood, but I still think that I would prefer the more powerful burners on the back since they would still be vented better than the front ones. So all this cooktop info is very welcome.
    Nancy

• Megan Fox
    6 years ago

I’m with you scrappy! Searching for a slide in gas range with large burners on the back. I’m surprised more people don’t want this. I currently have a medium/large one on the back and I do 90% of my cooking there. For me, it’s easiest and with little children it also seems safest. I’ll continue my search!

• User
    6 years ago

Until houses are made from nothing but masonry, having giant BTUs on the rear means having steel studs and concrete board as your wall construction, or a big honking stainless back-guard. You can char the wood inside your walls without proper fire protection.

• Fori
    6 years ago

My range has one of its biggest burners in the back. I don't use it much. It's in the back. If I'm cooking something that needs 25k btu, I want to be able to pay attention to it.

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    6 years ago

hi everyone. Our kitchen was finished in 2014 and I ended up with a 36 inch Bosch 800 induction cooktop with the largest burner in the center, slightly towards the back, works really well for my setup.