Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best 48" Side by Side Refrigerator?

Posted by nyrgirl35 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 21:22

I was hoping to find out who loves their 48" side by side refrigerator and why? Just from the looking around that I've done the GE Monogram looks really nice with a lot of room in both fridge and freezer, including being able to put Gallon containers on the door. But I see the GE monogram also has a lot of complaints as does subzero as far as newer models, but people with older sub zeros love them. Then some of the other brands 48" SXS seem to not have much room and whats the point of buying this huge fridge that you can't fit anything in it? Also my heart is set on a SxS, any suggestions?? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best 48" Side by Side Refrigerator?

I picked mine strictly on the layout. I wanted to be able to fit 9x13 pans in front to back. Some frigs also had the icemaker in odd places for me. I ended up with KA and it works ok but the fit and finish isn't that great. One door sticks out a little further than the other and they finally decided it was because the freezer and frig gaskets were two different thicknesses.

o

We've had the Jenn-Air side by side, (built in and paneled) for over 6 years now. It has been trouble free with the exception of the ice maker, which failed after about 5 years.
A new ice maker cost me about $145 and took me about 10 minutes to change it.

We like the fact that 3 different temps can be set in the fridge compartment, one for the meats, one for the veggie and fruit keeper and one for the main fridge.

Being older, we like the fact that the stuff we use the most, in either the fridge or the freezer can be kept at height that is convenient for us. We like the crank up and down shelves, the digital readouts for temperatures
(4 of them) --meat keeper, veggies, main fridge and freezer.

It is very quiet, and the first time I have ever heard any noise whatsover out of it was a few weeks ago after cleaning the condenser area and changing the water filter.
I did not get the cover back on correctly and it was blocking air, the fan for the condenser kick on to full speed, still not very noisy but I could hear it. I put the cover on correctly and all was well, again and silence.

The JA uses a variable speed compressor as I think most fridges in the Whirlpool family do, along with Miele and Liebher. These allow for better temp control, are more efficient and quieter than the old on/off compressors.
In fact, I believe that Jenn-Air now quotes a temp accuracy, (being able to stay at a set temp) of +/- half a degree "F". This of course is "Overkill" but it does give you an idea of what some of the new technology can do.

Good luck with your decisions.
The best way is to go and look at them in person. that's what we did and the JA won out over the SZ and GE, which back in 2005 were the only 48" built in fridges made.

Gary

o

Thanks for all the information I will look into JA and kitchen aid. Do you think the kitchen aid and JA have adequate space? We are a family of 6

o

Well, there are just 2 of us, but wife has always kept every fridge we have had in 45 years of marriage, or so, "Chuck-A-Block Full", and this one has a lot more space than any other fridge we have had over the years.

Like the folks here recommend, go see one in person.
If your family is milk drinkers, is there adequate storage for that? The particular Jenn-air that we have has a large area for the fridge and quite a bit smaller area for the freezer, thou the freezer is more than adequate for us, I would certainly ascertain it meets your needs too!

Some folks even have extra Fridge or freezer storage elsewhere in the house or garage, but We are not about to
pay our "Greedy Electric Company", here in S Calif the money to run double appliances, with the 48" we have no need to do so!

Good luck with your pending decisions.

Gary

o

I have the 48 inch monogram and I love it. I love the extra shelf that you can lower if you need it. I have had no problems in 1 year, and if I do, I think that GE' s service is excellent.

o

I have had my GE monogram 48" for about 4 years and am happy with it. It fits everything I need, has worked well, has enough flexibility for me and looks good and matches with my kitchen.

o

I have had my GE monogram 48" for about 4 years and am happy with it. It fits everything I need, has worked well, has enough flexibility for me and looks good and matches with my kitchen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here