Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
estimatedeyes_gw

Appliances - Go With Our Mixed Bag or All Thermador?

EstimatedEyes
11 years ago

After months of research and honest analysis about what we need/want we settled on the following for our remodel --

Thermador 36" CIT365KBB induction cooktop

SubZero BI36U 36" built in fridge

KitchenAId KUDS30CXSS (or similar) dishwasher

AROFSHGE-230 American Range dual fuel double wall oven

Custom insert hood liner/vent system tbd

I really wanted the AR ovens with the french doors, one gas, one electric, and 15,000 W broiler -- especially with the move to induction. My wife really wants the SubZero -- we had one in our last house and just loved it. To afford both, we compromised by saving a few bucks on a KA dishwasher v a Bosch or Asko.

Before we pull the trigger, however, we are considering whether we should switch to the following all-Thermador set up --

36" induction CIT365KBB

36" built-in refrig T36BB820SS

Sapphire series dishwasher DWHD650JFP

30" double wall oven PODC302J

vent hood insert VCI236DS

That would save us about $3,500 once the price of the ventilation system is thrown in. :) The trade off is I give up the AR and wifey gives up the SubZ :(. But the Thermador fridge was our second choice, the Prof. series oven looks pretty good, we will have a DCS grill a few steps away to feed my need for flame, and we get a better (maybe) DW with the third culinary rack we wanted. And the vent system is "free". It's a hard deal to pass up, given the savings.

SO -- what do you think ... go with the results of our months of obsession and analysis, or follow the money?

Comments (13)

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Is this your long-term home? If yes, option A. Go with your obsession and analysis. You chose those appliances for a reason. If you breakdown the 3500 per year over the life of your appliances, is it worth the extra cash?

• furnitureshopper
    11 years ago

Thermador promotion on multi item purchase.

http://www.thermador.com/about/promotion

• eccentric
    11 years ago

I probably wouldn't go with the Kitchenaid Dishwasher simply because I am very annoyed with Whirlpool/Kitchenaid at the moment. BUT what I would not do is buy the Bosch dishwasher if it would be the only non-U.S. standard size appliance. We have a Bosch dishwasher, oven and cooktop - no choice when the kitchen was done - funny layout and we had a depth problem. Today we could buy a decent stove/dishwasher for our small bungalow but we couldn't in 2000. So when they go -and they each had a few problems in the early years - parts covered but not labour - we will not be able to replace with standard appliances and we are already looking at problems with replacing with current Bosch products. The fridge was not Bosch - I wish it had been - it would have meant that the kitchen cupboards would have been cut shorter and we wouldn't be in that mess.

• jbart
    11 years ago

I ended up with mostly Electrolux appliances for stuff that was side by side.

Initially I was going to mix and match. I copied and pasted photos of each appliance in a collage, however, and I was not entirely pleased. I figured the aesthetics would bother me or my wife at some point.

When I did the same with all Electrolux, I liked the look a lot better.

Having said that, performance is always key. I wanted the Electrolux wall oven and a matching mike wasn't that expensive. While I liked Samsung's fridge design, my wife liked the more stylish Electrolux better. It meet most of my needs so I went along.

Personally, I think the wall oven and mike should be brand matched. The other stuff can be different brands more easily, especially if they are well separated.

We have a KA dishwasher across the room from our Electrolux appliances and never notice a visual difference.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

$3500 buys a lot of food for the fridge.

I think I would want to know who makes the fridge and DW for thermador. And the insert.

• EstimatedEyes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Went out to look at the Thermador oven this week and that has sold us on going for the package deal. The dishwasher is better, the vent is free, and though we like the SubZero refrigerator better that alone isn't enough to swing us away from the package discount. Finally can put this decision behind us! (Demo started this week ... so the decisions are now coming fast and furious!)

• joc6820
    11 years ago

For those who are interested, just posted some initial impressions of a full T'dor package in another related thread. Bottom line: good stuff, happy so far. Only thing I'd add is regarding the induction cook top. Love it, but half our cookware doesn't work with it, including some of the best, most expensive pieces we have. Apparently, not all stainless steel is magnetized.

• nlion
    11 years ago

We've ordered the Thermador CIT304KM 30" induction cooktop with the silver mirrored finish. With luck, we'll be cooking on it on Thursday evening. Oops, cancel that...we're going to see Rascal Flatts on Thursday, so it'll be Friday. :-) Anyhow, joc, I agree about many pieces of so-called stainless do not work. I now carry my magnet with me and I checked out many sets at Bed Bath and Beyond and it only stuck to 2 or 3 sets (one was All Clad, I don't remember the other...maybe Emeril?). Today I'm going to the LeCreuset outlet and will probably buy their stainless. I think, however, I read somewhere that LeCreuset outlets have a big sale in October? Does anybody have any info on that?

• psfoodie
    11 years ago

This is for nlion about your Thermador IT304KM induction w/silver mirror finish. I'm about to order one and wondering if you had any feedback, reviews, advice?! Thank!

• psfoodie
    11 years ago

This is for nlion about your Thermador IT304KM induction w/silver mirror finish. I'm about to order one and wondering if you had any feedback, reviews, advice?! Thank!

• nlion
    11 years ago

psfoodie...I've been cooking on it for a couple of months now and I'm delighted with it. The installation went very smoothly. I bought a LeCreuset stainless set and I've added a couple of All Clad pieces to it. This cooktop has amazing power. A small to medium size pot of water will start to simmer water in less than a minute and it comes to a rolling boil in about 90 seconds. Cleanup is so easy because spillovers and spatters do not cook on to it like they did with a regular electric cooktop. Finally, it's just beautiful to look at. Go ahead and order it! :-) Please let me know how it turns out for you!

• lindabiddle
    11 years ago

Thermador cooktops and wall ovens are very highly rated by Consumer Reports and their DW's are made by Bosch, pretty good choices and a really good deal.