Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GE Refrigerator Filter

Posted by levester1 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 21:18

My GE Smart Filter for water dispenser has always worked fine until I installed a new (more effective) water softener. Now the filter apparently clogs up after only a few weeks. Previously the filters lasted 6 months or more. Can the water softener cause the filter to clog? There is no evidence that the resin in the softener is getting in the water Also, the company (Aqua) that supplies water from a community well has checked the water supply and found everything (copper, iron, etc.) to be within acceptable limits.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GE Refrigerator Filter

Ask on the Plumbing forum.

The only thing I could think of would be that maybe the installation of the softener added some crap into the water lines and the filter is catching this. You might also check the screens on your faucets and washing machine inlets.

o
RE: GE Refrigerator Filter

Thanks Weed, nothing has been affected but the fridge filter. Seems it has to be related to the softener but I can't figure out what. I'm wondering if water softener creates particulate in the water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here