Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gregd123_gw

Help deciding which built in refrigerator

gregd123
13 years ago

We are doing a kitchen remodel and are planning a 42" or 48" built in refrigerator. We also have decided no ice/water in the door and side by side doors. Now the hard part, which one? The store we went to showed us a bunch - sub zero, ge monogram, viking, kitchen aid, jenn air, etc. The ge monogram features single compressor with dual evaporators. Sounds nice ... is it? Is the selling of the ge appliance line reason to stay away from GE? Don't need top of the line but if I can find it on Craigs List, Ebay, or at a scratch and dent, why not? I am a little hesitant to buy a refrigerator from these sources more so than a oven, cooktop, etc. Any thouhgts on not buying direct from a manufacturer rep? I am inclined to look at the manufacturers listed above, pick out the one I like best regarding functuality and price. Any manufacturer/model that I should stay away from?

Comments (16)

• antss
    13 years ago

"Is the selling of the ge appliance line reason to stay away from GE"

In an all things being equal discussion, yes. However, they never are (equal) and the division has been for sale now for a while with no takers. Few, if any have billions in cash lying around and financing an acquisition this size these days is problematic. So, the real world answer is no.

I'd be more concerned with their lesser quality these days than many competitors.

If you're in this neighborhood, you should look at the separates in Thermador Freedom line or it's Miele or Gaggenau cousins before deciding.

"if I can find it on Craigs List, Ebay, or at a scratch and dent, why not?"

Risk - you are already getting cold feet and you haven't even got to a specific deal yet.

"Any manufacturer/model that I should stay away from?"

Viking, for built in fridges.

• gregd123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

antss, thanks for the quick reply. Sorry in advance for all the questions. I am trying to do my research and this website has been great in helping me pick/narrow down the cook top, oven, and dishwasher. We have been most unhappy in our current setup (thermador gas cook top, magic chef double oven, and amana refrigerator) with the Amana fridge so I am trying to not repeat this mistake. So, here are the followup questions:

The problem with the columns for us is a capacity issue. If we stay with 42" overall the refridge capacity goes from 16 to 13.1 (-18%) and the freezer goes from 9.3 to 8.5 (-9%). If you go with the 48", the losses are reversed assuming 30" fridge (-9%) and 18" freezer (-18%). Since we may end up with the 42", I want to keep as much space as possible so I will probably stick with a non-column built in. Am I correct that the Miele and Gaggenau you refer to are both column style?

Isn't the non-column Thermador made by Whirlpool, the same manufacturer of KitchenAid and Jenn-Air, among others(Consumer Reports, November 2009)? Are the built in refrigerators from these three manufacturers basically the same with a different nameplate? Would any of these be a decent choice?

Are the column style (Thermador, Miele, Gaggenau) and Sub Zero the only manufacuters with two compressors? I know GE Monogram has two evaporators but probably will stay clear of GE. Do any of the other built in manufacturers provide two compressors or two evaporators? This seems important ... is it?

Lastly, for now anyways, any input on the Kenmore Pro built in? If features a "Twin Cooling TDM System". Does this mean two compressors/evaporators?

• gregd123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kind of narrowed it down to a built in KitchenAid. Really like the new SubZero but finding it hard to justify the price difference $9,300 vs $5,500. Any one have any input on the differences, other than cosmetic, between the Jenn-Air and KitchenAid? They are both from the same manufacutrer, right? Does this mean they have the same guts (compressor/evaporator/control board/etc.) and just differ in the shelf style, hinge, and nameplate? Thanks.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

"Some" of the Jenn-airs are different from other makes under the Whilpool Unbrealla. Specifically, the ones with the "Variable Speed Compressors". (VSC)
    You have to check each Fridge on the Jenn-air Site to be sure it has the "VSC". None of the other Whirlpool Models have that, and that compressor was a "Carry Over" from 2005-2006 (Before Whirlpool acquired them).

Liebherr is the only other manufacturer (currently use) the VSC, and Liebherr likes to tout about it, whilst Jenn-air seems to keep "Pretty quiet about it"----Maybe Whirlpool doesn't want it "Showing Up" their other makes?

Anyway, the compressor is very quiet and, at least for me, very difficult to tell when it's running.

Jenn-air only uses one compressor and/or evaporator.
    We certainly have not found this to be a problem , in the 5 years we've had it---It keeps food fresher than what the USDA recommends---but I posted about that before--so will skip over it for now.

Some claim the Dual compressors are better, but in order to meet energy requirements, those compressors are smaller and run more, in fact one poster that has an SZ claims the compressors run 70% of the time, I did call call SZ to varify this, and the Lady there told me, "Well they do have 2 compressors" I did try to do more research, but I was repremanded "here", that I was just wasting SZ's 2 inhouse service Techs valuable time---so I let it slide.

One advantage a single compressor/ evaporator does have, (at least the Jenn-air), was that when we had a 10 hour power failure, The JA, would bleed off some of the freezer temp into the fridge area to keep the fridge cold and yet the freezer stayed well below freezing (14)F.

When the power came back on on, the freezer sacraficed a couple more degrees (went to 16) so it could quicky get the fridge from 42 back to 37.
    I have never even thought of this advantage, and power failurs here are pretty rare (S Calif), still after 10 hours it was nice not to lose anything in the Fridge or the Freezer.
    Our 48" JA has been trouble free for 5 years now, We love the inside layout, with the adjustable shelves--some even have cranks, the lighting is great, and we like the digital reaouts that show (Actual temp of the Fridge and frezer) and as far as we're concerned there is nothing "Flimsy" about it, not a single part has broken or come off!!

If you can find the space, I sure would go for a 48" rather than a 42" we pondered the same thing 5 years ago---sure glad we went with the 48".

Good Luck with your Hunt!!

Gary

• oskiebabu
    13 years ago

I bought a 30" Thermador Freedom column refrigerator and a 24" Thermador Freedom column freezer (with no outlets for ice or water). I love the look of the smooth stainless without the ice and water maker on the outside. However, it does have an ice machine on the inside, though I usually use the Scotsman icemaker, as it makes beautifully clear ice. The hinges on the doors are aircraft quality and are unusually robust. I could do chin-ups on the doors. Overall, I am very pleased with them.

Greg

• gregd123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dodge59, Thanks for the research. It looks like the KitchenAid is a one speed compressor and the Jenn-Air is variable speed. Other than energy savings with the variable speed, are there other advantages/disadvantages? The Jenn-Air retails around $8,500 with the doors and handles and the Kitchen-Aid comes in around $5,500.

I am trying to convince the wife that 48" isn't jinormous.

• antss
    13 years ago

"The problem with the columns for us is a capacity issue."

On paper it looks like you loose or gain 9% or 18 % or whatever. However it's not quite as simple as "I'll get 15 more can of yogurt, or 17 more winecoolers or an xtra tub of ice cream. How are each of these manufacturers measuring the cu. ft????? Is it total box space? Is it shelf space? Some average? If box space do they deduct for the gap that exists between the shelves and the sidewall of the box? Do they deduct for the space the ice maker takes up? How about if the shelves have a thick/wide spill lip? That could take up as much as an inch all around each shelf and would negate you placing anything in that "xtra" box space. Gaggenau's units have totally flat glass shelves that allow storage right up to the box wall, but you're sunk if you spill something. Bottom line- go look at the organization abilities of each model and how it might fit your lifestyle and habits. even IF a unit was 18% smaller it's not like that's going to cause you and xtra trip to the grocer every week.

Non column T'dor is a WP, but Jenn Air's built ins are made in house unless things have changed. JA's otehr offerings are WP.

Miele/Gaggenau are column/modular.

Two separate systems is better in my opinion, but it's not a dealbreaker.

No idea on the Kenmore, Sears is not my favorite retailer, and that's being generous.

BTW - are you sure you can get a built in KA for $5500? I think even the paneled model is at least a grand more + doors and the stainless models are at least $8k.

dodge - I think you are doing people a dis-service by bringing up that flake and his/her SZ running 70% of the time. That was never verified, a tech went out there and found nothing wrong, and that poster hasn't been heard from since.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

I won't call any poster a flake, but as you know, I did make an Honest effort to find out "for sure" what was normal running time,as my post mentioned, The Lady who answered the fone and worked for SZ "Told me" (when I asked her about the running time), That the fridge had 2 compressors---still, I was not satisfied with that answer, and She said She would get one of her Tech's on the fone, but after listening to recorded music for more than a half hour, I hung up. I did intend to call back, but you may recall, I was "Chastized about Wasting SZ's valuable time"!
    So I never bothered to call back---so I don't think I am doing a dis service to anybody bringing that up.
    Why don't you start a thread on SZ running time, and find out what the "Facts are"?

As far as the extra money for the Jenn-air Fridge gregd123, I would not spend it for the Jenn-air.
    Why?, I got my 48" SXS Panel Ready Fridge in 2006, I paid $4588 for it. I sincerly doubt there have been enough changes in it, for the 4 years since then,(Not that it needs any), to justify such a price increase. To Me it sounds like they are playing the same kind of game that Gaggenau is doing (Gag just increased their prices 35% this year), with our economy what it is, I think the appliance manufactures should take the economy into their pricing policies---but to me, it looks like they think they are above that "Kind of thing".

From the posts we see of KA Fridges, most posts are positive, and while I really like our JA, I don't think it commands a price, almost double that of just 4 or 5 years ago, any more than I believe SZ's are worth the price they command, Or Gag or Miele.

HTH's

Gary

• antss
    13 years ago

"Why don't you start a thread on SZ running time, and find out what the "Facts are"?

1. because it's not really that important.

2. because there is not "standard" run time - What you have in it (density), how much you have in it (full or nearly empty), where you are located (Alaska or sub tropical Florida) and your homes ambient air temp, and how clean your coils are will all contribute to run time - and that is just too many variables to reasonably gauge.

3. The engineers at SZ have more important tasks to do than engage in a theoretical exercise, and so do I.

4. Common sense tells us the poster you refer to can't possibly have a fridge that runs for 17 hours a day and not have a fault show up when a tech checks it.

• dixiedarlin10
    13 years ago

Kitchenaid/Whirlpool has had the variable speed compressor for many years. See the link. Jennair built ins are now made by Whirlpool and are similar to the Kitchenaid. Whirlpool also builds Thermador and Dacor built ins. From a servicers perspective; they are good, popular & reliable units.

Here is a link that might be useful: VCC

• dodge59
    13 years ago

Nice post,dixiedarlin 1.
    Strange they dont make more of the use of the variable speed compressor like Liebherr does.
    In fact when you look at the Jenn-air site it only shows certain models with the VHC and even then you have to hunt it down.
    Well that should answer the Op's question! Save the money and buy the KA, at the time I bought mine, I only had about 3 choices as far as SXS 48" Fridges went, GE, Jenn-air and SZ, (JA won that contest, Hands Down).

JA was not price fixed back then, It listed for a little over $6000, but I was able to get it for $4588 (Pacific Sales). Now it is price fixed and it is very difficult to find a price for it on the Net, except for GW---thanks for that, gregd123, Course now they are price fixed as are Miele & SZ. I really don't think you are getting "More refrigerator" by paying the higher fixed prices---You are just paying for their "Marketing Strategy" and even thou SZ is still WAY Over Priced, at least they are having sales.
    Good Luck!

Gary

• campbellms
    13 years ago

A few thoughts to add:
    1) Be careful with buying AS IS, especially on the larger built-ins. The store may guarantee it runs, it is no guarantee how it performs long term (especially if there's hidden damage like to the compressor or the door seal.)
    2) AS mentioned prior, the idea of a sale is long past with GE: GE Monogram is certainly worth looking at if you can get the price and features you need
    3) Dual-Evap's only benefit is the isolation for flavor/smells ...It uses more energy and adds more things that can fail later

• 3katz4me
    13 years ago

I bought a 42" KA built in five years ago - just could not justify any of the pricier brands but I wanted a built in with cabinet panels. So far so good - knock on wood.

• sjb3ip
    13 years ago

gregd123-
    it's been a while since this post was active, so i'm not sure you'll see this, but i'm wondering what you ended up with and if you're happy? i'm in the same predicament and having a hard time deciding...

• sjb3ip
    13 years ago

gregd123-
    it's been a while since this post was active, so i'm not sure you'll see this, but i'm wondering what you ended up with and if you're happy? i'm in the same predicament and having a hard time deciding...