Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwigem_gw

INDUCTION wars: Electrolux freestanding or Bosch slide in?

Kiwigem
9 years ago

Hi everyone!
We have our induction range choice down to the Electrolux freestanding (I think the slide-in is funny looking) and Bosch Benchmark slide-in. Big price difference, but they both fit in the budget. Oven size is better on the Electrolux. I also think I might prefer the hob arrangement on the E'lux, but I have not been able to see them in person to verify that. Bosch is 10X prettier and would look great in the pared-down Scandinavian style kitchen we are planning.

What would you do?
:-)

Comments (16)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

They both should be excellent choices. If I were making this purchase, I would probably go Elux. I guess I may be kind of biased because I own a slide in Electrolux induction currently. I love it but I haven't had it long enough to comment on reliability.

Bosch Pros:
    -Has had a good reputation for cooking products in the past
    -Controls up front for easier access
    -Meat probe
    -More oven modes than Elux including Proof

Bosch Cons:
    -Expensive
    -Brand new product, unproven reliability wise and not many reviews out there

Electrolux Pros:
    -Known for high performance ovens
    -Bridge element
    -You're getting a lot more for your money

Electrolux Cons:
    -Rear controls
    -No probe
    -Less cooking modes, no proof button

I looked at the Elux manual and I have to say, I was a bit disappointed. The oven felt really stripped down compared to their wall ovens and slide in ranges. It only had the IQ touch controls, not the cool fade out Wave Touch like mine does. It didn't even have a probe and was missing a lot of the modes that are on their higher end ovens (slow cook, proof, etc). Still, no question about it, this is a much better value than Bosch.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your thoughtful response! I wonder if there will be more options for slide-in induction in the future? Perhaps I could get the E'lux and plan to sell if/when a slide-in with decisive "it factor" emerges. I have to say, the probe and the proof feature on the Bosch are very compelling, though.

• cindallas
    9 years ago

Miele is reportable coming out with a 30" Induction RANGE (6000 series)very soon. Probably by September or so I was told by a Miele representative giving a cooking demonstration in Dallas a couple of weeks ago. They are also reportable debuting a 36" dual fuel range and a 48" dual fuel dual oven RANGE as well. Miele is notorious for not having info out on their website until it is stocked and available for sale. So not even sure when in Sept or if that could be pushed back. The Dallas Miele showroom was told to expect the 48" dual fuel range at the end of July, but it was pushed back to "September". I was going to take a class on the new 6000 series wall ovens and that was supposed to be there for that last week.

I'm on the fence about ovens vs ranges vs gas vs induction myself so I've had my ears to the ground on several fronts.

Of course when it DOES come out, you will be in the same position of a new product with no reviews of real experience and of course it will be expected to be as expensive as the new 6000 series is. So the info that hvtech42 gave you sounds like good information.

Sometimes I've noticed too that the ovens in ranges have less bells and whistles in the range version vs the wall oven of the same manufacturer. You might have already dismissed the idea of separate cooktop and and an under the cooktop placement of a wall oven, but it might get you more of the functions you want. Looks and budget will be another matter. Might not be the look you want and will be more expensive.

Your Scandanavian style kitchen sounds intriguing. I like that look and its a very easy and relaxed lines with some nice details. Look forward to hearing more about your project.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cindallas- thank you for that! We aren't in a huge hurry as the downstairs is only being framed out. For now as long as we know where everything is going to go, we re in good shape. I will keep my eye our for that Miele!

Originally I thought I would do a separate oven and cooktop, but I hear it isn't a good idea to stack a wall oven under an induction cooktop (heat from the oven causing electronics to wear out faster) ...of course it begs the question of whether the engineering of an induction range is enough to prevent the same problem! I would have to put the ovens in the island to separate them completely. Maybe I should consider it...

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Kiwigem:

Have you checked out the GE and Electrolux slide in ranges? I think they are more expensive than the Bosch though.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hvtech, thank you for the suggestion! I have seen them, but to my eye the projecting front is kind of funny looking, so no reason for me to spend the extra cash. I haven't seen them IRL, though, only pictures, so who knows... Did I just see that the E'lux slide in is a true double oven? That could get me to look past the stick-out part!

This post was edited by Kiwigem on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 17:50

• iain64
    9 years ago

If it's like my previous-generation E'lux freestanding, then the second oven is rather small, and lacks convection. It's still good for baking potatoes, or perhaps you could cook a pie in it. I haven't used it much.

I am still trying to get mine repaired. The cooktop is not working, even after replacing some very expensive control boards. (It looks to me as if the boards were designed in a way that makes repairs expensive: a failing component on one board, which lacks a fuse, causes another board's "fuse" to blow; I put fuse in quotes because it's really just a trace on the circuit board, which means that when it blows you have to replace the whole board.)

Anyway, I'd recommend getting an extended warranty.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Whenever possible you should order from RepairClinic or AppliancePartsPros when DIY repairing. They let you return parts including boards up to a year after buying no questions asked, even after installing them in an appliance. If my Elux breaks I will definitely repair myself to keep costs down. Boards are not hard to change. The 2nd oven is no bigger than a warming drawer, the only difference is it can go up to 450 degrees. I haven't had the occasion to use it yet since I also have a separate walloven but I could definitely see it coming in handy. Like the Bosch slide in it has probe, proof, and other modes such as slow cook.

To be honest Kiwigem I kind of hope you buy the Bosch so we can get some more feedback on it :)

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 20:53

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hvtech- LOL! Ok, I'll tell the spouse I'm going with the more expensive range "for the greater good." Yeah, that's the ticket....

• iain64
    9 years ago

hvtech - good advice. I did order my boards from appliancepartpros.com (a new generator board, and a new filter board), but it still came to almost $800. It was easy to replace them, and the cooktop worked for a few hours, but then I started getting an E15 error code. E15 is not listed in the service sheet that came with the range, but poking around on the web I decided to try replacing another board. That didn't solve the problem, so I took it out, but unfortunately damaged it in the process so I can't return it.

Anyway, I have a repair person scheduled to come on Monday. I'm hopeful that he or she will be able to solve the problem, but it's still a bundle of money any way you look at it.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

lain64 what is your model number? I downloaded a tech sheet for EW30IF60IS and it lists F15 as a "Signal loss between oven relay board & EOC."

Here is a link that might be useful: EW30IF60IS Tech Sheet

• iain64
    9 years ago

Hvtech, thanks for the info, but the error code is actually E15, not F15. The service guy told me that that could mean replacing one of two boards (or potentially both, I suppose). I had already tried replacing one, so he ordered the other one. There's another $400 up in smoke!

At least he seemed pretty confident that that would fix the problem. And he seemed to know what he was doing.

• mcmummy
    9 years ago

Any more feed back on the electrolux slide in induction range EW30IS65JS?
    Thanks!

• mountaineergirl
    9 years ago

Hvtech - my freestanding E-lux induction range has a probe. And TONS of features so I'm not sure what you were disappointed with. ?? Or did I misunderstand?

I have had no problems with my range. It's over 2 years old

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Hvtech - my freestanding E-lux induction range has a probe. And TONS of features so I'm not sure what you were disappointed with. ?? Or did I misunderstand?

You probably have the Wave Touch freestanding which has been discontinued for a while now. The only induction freestanding they have now is the IQ Touch which is missing the features I listed.

• di77ce
    9 years ago

I have been looking at induction ranges too. For me, it is between the the GE Profile and the Bosch Benchmark. I started looking at the Electrolux because of this thread, but saw some awful reviews on Amazon. This is in stark contrast to the reviews on AJ Madison. Not sure who to believe...